Setanta - never again

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The moment I subscribed last year I knew I'd end up with a battle when it came to cancel. :mad:

Cancelled on Sunday 23rd March because I had no need for Setanta after 19th April, they have a 30 day cancellation rule & my renewal date each month was the 24th. The last renewal I should've paid was therefore 24th March.

Obviously it cost me a further £5something to cancel due to their premium rate phone line :suicide:

So I cancelled, the channels disappeared prior to my renewal date, they've called a few times trying to resell me the channels for £5 a month but I'm not interested.

Low & behold they've taken another £9.99 on 24th April, even though I don't have the channels :mad:

So just called them from work this time - cheaper for me ;) with Setanta Account Number in hand. :rolleyes:

I've given them my name, address, postcode, my Setanta account number & surprise surprise they have absolutely no record of me although they are still capable of charging my account :suicide:

Marvellous :mad:

I actually pay for Setanta on a Credit Card because I knew they'd cock up somewhere. Now starting to think I should've done Direct Debit because at least you can cancel them. Not sure what my Credit Card company can do really?

& I thought the old NTL were bad :suicide:

Never again..

Sorry to hear about your probs matey :nono: ... but have you checked with the family, just in case they've gone behind your back and kept Chelsea TV on? :eek: ;) :D

p.s.... hope you get it sorted, matey! :)

Sorry to hear about your probs matey :nono: ... but have you checked with the family, just in case they've gone behind your back and kept Chelsea TV on? :eek: ;) :D

p.s.... hope you get it sorted, matey! :)

:D
We were paying £64.99 even without that channel - It's extra! Hence we've never had it & to be honest, even with LFCtv included on the Setanta package, I probably watched it for about 5 mins in total. :eek:

even with LFCtv included on the Setanta package, I probably watched it for about 5 mins in total. :eek:

Just this season's highlights show then :smashin:

I actually pay for Setanta on a Credit Card because I knew they'd cock up somewhere. Now starting to think I should've done Direct Debit because at least you can cancel them. Not sure what my Credit Card company can do really?
Inform your CC that they have taken an unauthorised payment as you had cancelled their service.

Just this season's highlights show then :smashin:

Whahey! :thumbsup:

Actually, it was just a rerun of dodgy decisions against the Arse. I think it's up for best comedy programme at the Baftas. ;)

Inform your CC that they have taken an unauthorised payment as you had cancelled their service.

That's exactly what I've done. Eventually got through to another idiot at Setanta who could only find me through my Sky Viewing Card number, he informs me that although it says I cancelled on 24th March (phone bill says 16minutes & £4.88 on that exact date, just found it), they didn't actually process the 30 days notice until the 27th.

How convenient...........for their bank balance! :mad: He then said you can only claim a refund through a letter - which I assume will take then approx 4 months to respond too.

Soooo - called my Credit Card, they said do nothing, they'll send me a form, claim the money back & stop them ever taking it again :thumbsup:

Companies like Setanta I just don't want this unnecessary hassle, I'd love to phone them up at the beginning of the season & say I want your channels from this date to this date - how much? I'll send a cheque, end of.

If you look in the Sky forum you'll see lots of other people who have had major problems with Setanta, seems like they don't give a damn about their reputation.

If you look in the Sky forum you'll see lots of other people who have had major problems with Setanta, seems like they don't give a damn about their reputation.

Yeah, saw that - just thought I'd warn the Sports forum too.

They are scumbags

Well worth making this known to all in here as well I agree, companies like this don't deserve any loyal customers !

Use this number if you want to cancel - 01915013601 - got through in less than a minute, but had the same annoying thing that my payment is on the 2nd, but they won't cancel it until the 6th, so have to pay a tenner for 4 days viewing!

I have watched 2 matches, so in total, it will have cost me £43 for them!!! I'm with you DJ - never again.

I planned the cancellation to the day so I would be paying for a full 30 days, but you're right - they're incapable of taking more than a 30 day notice, it's exactly 30 days or nothing, hence you got stung for another month Chris.:(

Again I probably watched more weekend Setanta games in the pub than at home anyway, add to that every Monday night game was awful too.

Prem Plus seemed to have a fair amount of decent games & paying a one-off £50 every season early in the summer was perfect, Setanta can just sod off - anything worth watching I'll nip round the corner to watch with 5 or 6 pints of flat lager at £3 a pop :suicide: - I'd rather lose money that way :thumbsup:

ps. Thanks for the alternative number ;)

im pretty sure they have even more football next season:(

im pretty sure they have even more football next season:(
Oh God no! :eek:

Not because Setanta are so bad (they are) but because the football in the EPL is so dire! The games they had this season were bad enough, if they get any more I'll be reduced to watching corrie instead - just to avoid it! :rolleyes:

Anything that takes away the monopoly of sky is good, but setanta are *****.

Their freeview service was a joke.

On top of the sub you have to pay £30 for a viewing card as well :(

Anything that takes away the monopoly of sky is good, but setanta are *****.
:(

It's more expensive with Setanta thrown in so give it all to Sky I say - they have no real competition anyway...The Beeb can sod off too..

Most people can't afford $ky's exorbitant prices, and many that can refuse to on principle.

The EU should step in over $ky IMO and force the FA or whoever to sell games to terrestrial broadcasters at a reasonable price so everyone can watch the national game.

Oh God no! :eek:

Not because Setanta are so bad (they are) but because the football in the EPL is so dire! The games they had this season were bad enough, if they get any more I'll be reduced to watching corrie instead - just to avoid it! :rolleyes:

Charity Sheild,FA Cup,England Internationals as well :(

It's more expensive with Setanta thrown in so give it all to Sky I say - they have no real competition anyway...The Beeb can sod off too..
You are kidding? Right? :rolleyes: Skys coverage is abysmal. It's like listening to a load of PR men describing a product, and has no bearing, or very rarely has, on what's actually being served up. The awesomely awful 'grand slam Sunday's' summed up Skys 'coverage' to perfection. OTT, bearing little resemblance with reality, and hyped to within an inch of the games lives.

Oh, and three out of the four games were crap. But hey, let's not let the truth spoil Skys bandwagon, because you'd never have known that from their comments. ;)

No, Sky's coverage isn't just bad, it's dangerous. They've created a mythical EPL where all football is 'awesome' 'incredible' or some other meaningless superlative which is not even the the slightest reflection of what is really being served up.

In a way I prefer Setanta. Dire though the coverage is, at least words like 'poor' and *gasp* critical comments about the players (on both sides) are occasionally allowed. In the fantasy World of Sky, negatives are banished from the commentators lexicon. Oh, unless they are talking about a 'lesser light' 'stifling' one of the big teams. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You are kidding? Right? :rolleyes: Skys coverage is abysmal. It's like listening to a load of PR men describing a product, and has no bearing, or very rarely has, on what's actually being served up. The awesomely awful 'grand slam Sunday's' summed up Skys 'coverage' to perfection. OTT, bearing little resemblance with reality, and hyped to within an inch of the games lives.

Oh, and three out of the four games were crap. But hey, let's not let the truth spoil Skys bandwagon, because you'd never have known that from their comments. ;)

No, Sky's coverage isn't just bad, it's dangerous. They've created a mythical EPL where all football is 'awesome' 'incredible' or some other meaningless superlative which is not even the the slightest reflection of what is really being served up.

In a way I prefer Setanta. Dire though the coverage is, at least words like 'poor' and *gasp* critical comments about the players (on both sides) are occasionally allowed. In the fantasy World of Sky, negatives are banished from the commentators lexicon. Oh, unless they are talking about a 'lesser light' 'stifling' one of the big teams. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

TURN THE SOUND OFF and put on radio commentary JOB DONE!

Don't care who broadcasts it, I just don't see the point in selling a bit to Setanta which does nothing but increase the cost to the viewer. Hence my comment that it was cheaper for all of us when Sky had the lot - therefore far better financially. Whether I like Sky's razzmatazz or not is another matter.

Don't care who broadcasts it, I just don't see the point in selling a bit to Setanta which does nothing but increase the cost to the viewer. Hence my comment that it was cheaper for all of us when Sky had the lot - therefore far better financially. Whether I like Sky's razzmatazz or not is another matter.
Fair comment. I cannot understand though, how that is the case? Surely, with the EU trying to introduce 'competition' the prices should reflect that?

But of course their is no competition. Sky are currently the only satellite broadcaster in the UK, while the Cable networks are essentially divided by the same company, along regional lines.

So, what's the point? Unless they 'make' the football authorities divide up the games to the standard networks as well. That might force Sky and Setanta to reduce their fee's.

However, at the same time, it would reduce the games cash flow considerably. Arguably that would be great as clubs would have to slash wages and reduce playing staff, and at the same time the foreign influx would probably dry up. Paradoxically, in the long term, it would probably save the English game.

The EPL clubs are unlikely to see the long view though.......... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Letter from my Credit Card company this morning, my £9.99 has been recovered. No need to contact Setanta ever again. :thumbsup:

ps. I hear they've whacked an extra £3 on the monthly subscription now too, or so someone told me...

12.99 now

However, at the same time, it would reduce the games cash flow considerably. Arguably that would be great as clubs would have to slash wages and reduce playing staff, and at the same time the foreign influx would probably dry up. Paradoxically, in the long term, it would probably save the English game.

The EPL clubs are unlikely to see the long view though.......... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've never understood the argument about money & foreigner's being the ruin of the England team. If anyone thinks that throwing out 100 foreign players from the PL will mean that 100 amazing English players will emerge to fill the gap they are kidding themselves, you'll just end up with 100 average English players who still aren't good enough for international football.

The few that are good enough do make it, the rest -- well they might get a few more games at a "better" club than they do today, but they wouldn't be any better players for it. We've got as many great players as any other nation you can mention; the reasons behind the national team's failure are nothing to do with a lack of talent; the pool of players available to England is the envy of most other nations.

An incompetant football association, particularly a string of poor managerial appointments are the reason for our failures; ever since they failed to back Venables after Euro '96 they've stumbled from one failure to another ... I think they've got the right man in Capello and suspect he will make us proud of the English team again the same way Venables did after Taylor's reign .. and hopefully all this nonsense about a lack of English players = death of the England team will be forgotten for the nonsense it is.

GK: James, Carson, Green, Hart, Robinson
D: Richards, Onouha, Brown, Ferdinand, Terry, Taylor, Carragher, A. Cole, Bridge, Murty, G. Johnson, Warnock, Baines, Jagielka, C. Davies, Upson, Woodgate, Dawson
M: Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Hargreaves, Carrick, Downing, Bentley, Young, Beckham, J Cole, M. Johnson, Nolan, Huddlestone, Noble
S: Owen, Rooney, Defoe, Ashton, Crouch, Agbonlahor, Walcott

Where exactly is the problem? That list was off just the top of my head of some players that I think are either good enough or on their way there; are people under some illusion that other national teams have 40-50 world class players to pick from? Take a look at some of the squads that made it to Euro '08 and tell me that the pool of players England have to work with is the reason we didn't make it there!

Sorry got a bit off topic there ... but that argument gnaws away at my soul everytime someone brings it up:D

You think paying £12.99 is bad? Try being in the Rep of Ireland where they sting you for 20 Euro, which with the current exchange is nearly £16.

I've never subscribed to any of the Sky sports channels. Although I'm a United fan, I work 2 jobs and am never going to be able to watch enough of the football they show to justify the cost. Only got Setanta because they bought exclusive rights to all the UFC events and I just can't live without those. Mind you, you'd think they'd make a bit more of a fuss over getting the exclusive rights, instead of showing the events live from Vegas at 3am and then only putting the repeat on from midnight til 3.

I nearly had a fit when I checked Sky+ to see that the 3am event had been recorded and found that the recording had been interupted due to poor signal. Fortunately it only dropped the last 2 minutes and that was just ads...

Is that a Setanta issue or Sky? Normally I only get interruptions when there's crappy weather but it was fine all weekend.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom