1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set up problem with Sony 1080 receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paulcollins14, Apr 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a Sony 1080 receiver to replace a Pioneer.

I have followed the instructions and connected my 5.1 Elac cinema 1 speakers using QED silver anniversary cable my plan is to buy an additional speaker for 6.1.

However although I am not the most technical person in the world I felt I should be able to perform a basic setup, this was not to be, whatever I do I can only get the receiver to recognise the 2 front speakers, centre and rear just do not seem to exist.

Can anyone advise me what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks

2. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I suspect that the blue light in the middle of the amp, indicating multi channel material is not lighting up.

You may need to adjust your DVD player settings or assign digital inputs on the amp correctly to your selected source

3. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I will try what you suggest

4. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    You might also use the test tones in the levels menu...this would at least tell you you were making all contacts, and had the speaker set-up, amp end, configured correctly.

5. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried the test tone, it just reverts from front left to front right.

My DVD player is a Pioneer 454 and is connected to the receiver via digital coaxal cable.

My previous av receiver was a Pioneer VSXC-100 which was very easy to setup and I was actually very happy with the setup, just wanted a bit more grunt from the system

6. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    OK
    ...it might be the wiring, so worth rechecking.
    or
    ....it maybe that you need to tell the amp which speakers you have hooked up. I thought it defaulted to all "on" and "small" but maybe not. It's a month or so since i owned this amp...but i think it's in the set-up menu. If you toggle thru it should give options for Front, Centre, Surround, and surround back which you can set to Large, Small, or Off. So you may need to check they're set as appropriate.

7. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As mentioned above, how about the blue light, which will light up if the amp is receiving multi channel data ?

If the blue light is not on and the amp is set to 'AUTO DECODING' then sound will only come out of the L/R channels.

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Whats showing in the display,have you got it set to surround i'll have a mess later see if i can get mine to do the same thing.Try going into the setup menu and make shure all the speakers are set to small or large and not none.

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The blue light is only indicating DD bitstream is present, plain vanilla pro logic will still be possible without this.
    Something is not right so start at the begining and ensure correct speaker hookup then ensure that a surround mode is selected.

10. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I've got the same 1080 & Elac Cinema 1 setup as you! I'm even using one QED silver anniversary cable for the centre speaker! :)

Anyway, back to your problem! It seems to me plain and simple the wiring for the centre and 2 rears are not connected properly in some way. It doesn't matter about the blue light yet, as long as you can get the test tone working then the rest will work.

Maybe you've got the +/- mixed up for those 3 speakers? After all the QED silver anniversary cable has only some black writing on one of the wires to differentiate, so you could have easily mixed them up. Maybe the connectors on both the speakers and receiver are not tight enough?

Just a few suggestions, hope they help in some way.

I've got a buzzing 1080 problem to contend with so I hope that doesn't happen to your receiver.

11. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I have had a little play but the only way that the test tone only outputs through the fronts if you turn all the other speakers off.Or of cause its a wireing problem or a fault.You could also try reseting the amp go to page 20 in the manual for how to do this.

12. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the delay, I've been away for a few weeks.

Thanks to everyone for your help, I have now resolved the problem and my system is working perfectly. It turned out to be a combination of DVD setup and wiring so I started again from the begining as suggested.

cheers