1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

set up of yamaha yst-sw320

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dannycox, Dec 23, 2001.

1. dannycox

dannycox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

i have a kef q series speaker package 35s,15, and a 95c
    denon dvd 2800 players
    yamaha dsp 800e processor
    4x arcam alpha 9 power amps 1 driving each speaker
    and a yamaha yst-sw320

with the kit ive got what would you recommend about subwoofer placement and setting there is a port on the side of the sub should i block it off??? where should i be aiming to have my high cut level
    its a pain in the ase can anyone help me im forever messing with it and concentrating more on the sound than watching the movie!!!!!!!!!!

2. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Danny,

This is the way I would start. To keep things simple I'd connect the sub to the low level output on the DSP800 using a phono-to-phono cable rather than connecting to the speaker terminals.

Assuming that this is the connection method you are using, the DSP800 will act as the filter for the sub. This means you can turn the the sub's filter fully clockwise so it won't be playing a part anymore in the setting of the cut-off point - that's now being done by the processor.

Next thing to do is change the settings on the processor to indicate that all speakers are 'small' and set the LFE output to 'Subwoofer'. This would be a good starting point. Later you might like to try comparing setting the main speakers to large and seeing which you prefer. Keep all the other speakers set to small.

Don't block the port on the sub. I'm sure it will affect the sound in an adverse way. At the very least you'll probably get less extension.

As for positioning, I'm just starting down this road myself. I'd start by trying to keep away from putting it directly in a corner, this may have a tendancy to cause boom. Also, if possible try and keep it six to twelve inches away from a wall. If you can achieve this then this is likely to produce the cleanest bass.

If you are constantly aware of the sub then it needs to be turned down to the point where you are only aware of it on the deepest sound effects but not too low to the point where the sound is thin and lacking in body.

GearHead