1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set up of Panny E55, Matsui DTR1 Digi box and TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gogsboy, Apr 9, 2005.

1. gogsboy

gogsboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help with the best way to set this up, I am a novice on this!

All products have 2x Scarts and believe the Panny and Digi box have RGB? Whatever that is or whatever it helps you do I dont have much idea.

Since setting this up, the analogue picture has suffered, is this normal?

I have only used 2 scarts currently, the digi box diagram shows you can use 2 or 3, wondered if using the 3rd would help the analogue picture.

Funnily enough 2,3 and 4 still have good pictures but 1 and 5 are terrible.

Also is there a way the digi box can communicate with the E55 for recording in the same way that videoplus does or do I need to set everything manually.

All hints and tips welcome!

Thanks

2. gogsboy

gogsboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone :lease:

3. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You should have a Scart lead from the Digibox to Av2 on the recorder and then back out of AV1 on the recorder to the TV. A third Scart should then go from the digibox's TV output directly to the TV so that you can watch digital TV when the recorder is recording from its analogue tuner.

The recorder can then be controlled via External Link on the Digibox for timer recordings of digital stations, but the issue of the TV pics being poor on RF could be due to the modulated output of the recorder being close to one of the terrestrial channels or even to close to the Digibox's RF output. You can check this by looking to see if the picture improves when the recorder is in standby.

RGB BTW, relates to a better level of signal quality via Scart which both devices support. Simply enable these options in the setup menus, then you should instantly see a better picture (assuming the connections are in the correct order).

4. gogsboy

gogsboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have set it up like that but cant seem to get the digi box to make the panny kick in and record. I get it to come up and ask me to switch across as it is aware I have set something but the Panny doesnt kick in.

Any tips?

ps. Changed the Panny to RF, the digi was already set to RF, dont know if the TV has a similar setting that needs changed, its an old Panny TV, the pic is still not great on certain channels but I could be done with a new tv or at least a new aerial I guess

5. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The tip would be to make sure that you press the External Link button on the DVD recorder remote after you have set the timer on the Digibox.

One other thing to check is whether you have activated the correct External Link option in the DVD recorder setup menu as External Link 1 is for use with SKY Digiboxes, but External Link 2 is for Freeview boxes.

6. gogsboy

gogsboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is driving me mad lol.

I did as you said and changed to Panny to Ext Link 2, I set the recording on the DigiBox and it communicates with the Panny to start recording, however it doesnt seem to be able to tell it to stop recording and the recording comes out just as a black screen but with sound :rolleyes:

7. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    1st thing to check is that the Scart lead is ok. Sounds to obvious to be true, but if there is sound & no pic then the video connections in the Scart lead could be dropping out.
    The next thing to check is that your Scart lead coming from Digibox to DVD recorder is coming out of the VCR Scart & not the TV out Scart socket otherwise the External Link may not work properly.

8. gogsboy

gogsboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All seems to be connected up properly, the scart on the Digi does seem to hang down a bit but gave it a good push in that seems fine.

Still appears to be the same, when I press AV on the Panny remote, I get AV1 coming up and thats the black screen with sound, press again and get AV2 which is fine but when recording its just not happening.

Could be something within the Panny/Digi menu settings?

Sorry for being a nightmare :suicide:

9. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Check the AV settings in SETUP. If I select 'RGB' on the AV2 I also get a blank screen. The instructions state this needs to be set to 'Video'.

I don't have the instuctions with me but I think the three settings for AV2 should be Video/Normal/Ext Link 1 (mine attached to Sky Digi Box hence Ext Link 1)

10. gogsboy

gogsboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried both RGB and Video, seem to be the same though.

This EPG thing just seems to be a nightmare, I tell it to record from says anytime 12.02 for example till 12.32 but the recorder always flashes up immediately to tell me its recording the prog now, do I want to cancel.

Why cant they make it simple, Panny connected to TV using videoplus not a problem whatsoever, add a digibox and its a nightmare to get it set up properly :censored:

11. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Most puzzling, I don't get any of that although I am linked to a Sky Digi Box rather than Freeview.

The pop up message you describe looks more like the message you get with 'Direct TV Rec'.

Are there any set up options from the digiview box that may be conflicting? and is it posible to use the digibox to control the DVD to start and finish recording. You can do this with the Sky Personal Planner by setting that, then leaving the DVD in standby with the Ext Link button. Just wondered if Freeview had a similar trick! :confused:

12. gogsboy

gogsboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There doesnt seem to be a great deal of options within the digi box.

As I am far from an AV whizz, I am a bit lost with it all.

I have set it up as advised and also been using the EXT LINK button but its just not happening with regards to recording when I set the EPG on the digi box

13. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Back home now and have been playing with my E95 setup settings.

Although my Sky box is set to output RGB (Red Green Blue) signal, if I select RGB as AV2 Input I get a blank screen with sound on my recordings.

Check your setup list is as follows:
    TV Aspect 4:3 (assuming you don't have a widescreen TV)
    Progressive: Off
    TV System: PAL
    AV1 Input: Video
    AV2 Input: Video
    AV2 Connection: Normal (although with a freeview decoder you may be able to set this to Decoder - see what happens)
    Ext Link: Ext Link 2

Using VideoPlus to make a recording works because it is using the analogue tuner in the machine, unless you programme Video+ to recognise the digibox etc.

It's not clear why selecting RGB produces a blank screen as I have fully wired SCART leads connected to all my kit as well.

Let me know what happens.

The quirk with my machine is that if I record using timer record (Ext Link) then on playback the machine automatically switches my widescreen TV to Wide. If I use manual record I have to manually switch to Wide on playback :suicide:

14. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry for the delay gents i've just got back in.

I think Mike may have it there as it sounds like the Digital receiver is disabling the Composite video output when it outputs RGB which is why the picture disappears on timer record via the EPG as the DVD recorder may expect to see a Composite video signal and go blank when there is only an RGB signal present unless told otherwise in the setup menu.

15. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just discovered that my Panasonic Sky Box only outputs RGB to the TV and not to the VCR/DVD output :rolleyes: strange but that explains the blank screen when I select RGB instead of Video.