1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set up HS10 last night - 1 dead pixel!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rjs1974, Jan 15, 2003.

1. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to have one on the very right hand side, which appears as a white pixel when on a black background. It does not show on the blue menu background colour, and is only visible from within 4 feet or so, so I will probably stick with it.

Is it common for a dead pixel to appear as white on black?

Also, the extreme right hand side has a greenish tinge, as in misconvergence, but it is literally the very right hand edge of the image - is this normal? Again, it is only really visible from close in.

I am currently using a whiteish wall, since I have yet to order a screen.

I am viewing DVDs via component. The image size is approx 100" across, which is very cool!

I am delighted with it, although the dead pixel is a tad annoying, since no-one else seems to have reported even a single one. That said, it feels pedantic to reject it when it is invisible in normal viewing. Maybe I will find more when I get a proper screen, and to be fair I haven't tried 4:3 mode so far, which may reveal more.

Any other HS10 owners found any dead/stuck pixels?

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi no unfortunately not - my unit was perfect.

I bought mine from nexnix.co.uk for 2113 incl VAT + 20 (dead pixel check) + 10 (delivery).

The dead pixel check costs £20 and they guarantee the unit to be perfect on delivery.

You might want to consider rejecting the unit and asking for a refund (so you can buy elesewhere) or a replacement. You will be entitled to this as long as you haven't put an excessive time on the lamp counter.

Alternatively you might just want to ignore it... :)

3. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thing is, reading various posts on here about dead pixels, it seems they always appear as red, blue or green, not white.

Could this mean it is a dust fibre, not a dead pixel?

Like I say, it shows as a biggish white speck when the background is black, say on closing credits.

I would say it was bigger than a single pixel too, though it's hard to say.

Thanks!

4. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    jjs1974

Try to de-focus the image back and forward a liitle if it is just a dust blob it may change focus slightly differently than the pixles around it .

Just a thought......

5. marcw

marcw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How obvious would these dead pixels be? I've got a HS10, bought from Hi Spek on Saturday, who don't offer a dead pixel check... I've set my laptop up as per another thread here - with a Powerpoint presentation - five slides, black, white, red, green, blue. I've run the laptop out through it's internal S-Video out to the PJ and I couldn't spot anything obvious on my 6ft wide screen... Do dead pixels stand out easily or am I perhaps not being critical enough?