1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set Up Help!!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by LMD, Jan 2, 2005.

1. LMD

LMD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Evening all.

What is the best way to connect the following kit to get the most from it: -

- Toshiba 36ZP46 CRT TV
    - Pioneer 575 DVD Player
    - Sky+ Box
    - Xbox (un-modified)

I plan on using the prog scan functionality on the TV and DVD player so have assumed thus: -

1) DVD Player to TV

Compontent video cable + digital cable for audio

Am I right to assume that component video does not handle audio? Furthermore are there any differences in performance between optical and coaxial digital cables??

2) Sky+ Box to TV

RGB Scart lead

3) Xbox to TV

Currently using supplied leads but have found the following IXOS cables online...

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/category.php?qsCat=XBOXCAB

Will these improve picture quality over the supplied leads and if so which is the best option for an un-modified Xbox taking all other connections into account? I was thinking of going with the Scart option to keep things simple.

Apologies if I sound a little wet behind the ears but I have recently upgraded from a 10 year old Sony 29" TV using simple scart connections and am just getting up-to-speed with things :blush:

I intend using QED cables where possible (any comments??).

Thanks in advance for any advice :thumbsup:

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    1) Component should be the best way to connect the DVD to the TV (and the only way to utilise the progressive scan function). You're right, it doesn't handle audio - not sure which would be best out of digital or co-axial though.

2) RGB is the best for Sky to TV.

3) Assuming that this is an RGB cable it should give the best picture - I'm sure there must be cheaper, yet just as good, alternatives though.