Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Set Up Help!!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by LMD, Jan 2, 2005.

1. LMD

LMD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Evening all.

What is the best way to connect the following kit to get the most from it: -

- Toshiba 36ZP46 CRT TV
    - Pioneer 575 DVD Player
    - Sky+ Box
    - Xbox (un-modified)

I plan on using the prog scan functionality on the TV and DVD player so have assumed thus: -

1) DVD Player to TV

Compontent video cable + digital cable for audio

Am I right to assume that component video does not handle audio? Furthermore are there any differences in performance between optical and coaxial digital cables??

2) Sky+ Box to TV

RGB Scart lead

3) Xbox to TV

Currently using supplied leads but have found the following IXOS cables online...

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/category.php?qsCat=XBOXCAB

Will these improve picture quality over the supplied leads and if so which is the best option for an un-modified Xbox taking all other connections into account? I was thinking of going with the Scart option to keep things simple.

Apologies if I sound a little wet behind the ears but I have recently upgraded from a 10 year old Sony 29" TV using simple scart connections and am just getting up-to-speed with things :blush:

I intend using QED cables where possible (any comments??).

Thanks in advance for any advice :thumbsup:

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    1) Component should be the best way to connect the DVD to the TV (and the only way to utilise the progressive scan function). You're right, it doesn't handle audio - not sure which would be best out of digital or co-axial though.

2) RGB is the best for Sky to TV.

3) Assuming that this is an RGB cable it should give the best picture - I'm sure there must be cheaper, yet just as good, alternatives though.