1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set up Help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chrissb6, Apr 12, 2004.

1. chrissb6

chrissb6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have taken the plunge:clap:, need some advice on connections, screens, and pJ mounting.
    Connection I want to connect my new Sony VPL-VW12HT to my P.C. The P.C has P.C T.V 'Live view suite' Distance from the P.C to the PJ is approx 10M. Anybody know of a supplier who could supply the correct cable and connection. I am well aware that without the correct connection and cabling l will loose picture quality. Main viewing will be films and major sporting events
    Screen:
    Distance from the lens to the screen is approx 4m. Not looking to spend a fortune here, light can be controled up to a point, looking for a screen around 8ft across 16x9 ratio

PJ to be mounted on the back wall directly facing the screen. I have read in previous threads that, the p.j should be hung upside down is there a reason for this?, I was hoping to just fix onto a shelf. Hope to have it all up and running soon pictures and result to follow.
    Thanks for a great web site.

Regards
    chrissb6

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cables: I think you will want a vga to vga which you can get at reasonable cost and quality from www.lindy.com

screen: how much is 'not a fortune'? Do you want it remote controlled/manual pull down/fixed?

If you had the projector high up the wall mounted right way up then the image will be way too high for the screen. You could angle it down but this introduces problems with image distortion. Have you looked into a proper ceiling mount? LMP do very good ones at low cost

ad

3. chrissb6

chrissb6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Buns, I will give lindy a call. Is there cable and connections of good quality?. this is one area that l donot want to skimp on.
    Regarding the screen, a manual pull down will do fine at the moment, major work upstairs to route cables for a electric unit, that can waite until next time we decorate. Price wise, l have seen all sort of prices quoted on this site, from hundreds to thousands of pounds, just want something basic that will do the job. I am well aware you pay your money you take your chance, but would rather be advised, than crying on this web site later from a bad deal. Just get me in the ball park with the average products and prices.
    The mounting of the projector, the shelf is around 1.3m high from the floor between chairs, l have a big down light in the middle of the room which stops me using a ceiling mount, and also again major problems with cable routing.
    many thanks for any info
    regards
    chrissb6

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the standard lindy vga gold (i think thats what it is called) is fine quality, i certainly never had issue with it despite being relatively inexpensive.

screens: cant go into too many details since i dont really know...... but i wouldnt expect you to spend more than £300. Go and have a look about the scren forum and you will find your way very quickly.

Mount wise, if the shelf is only 1.3 m from the floor, just mount it right way up. as if it was a table mount set up, it will work fine

ad