Set-up help.

Sparky6565

Standard Member
Ok, I'm about to lose my mind. I have read though the posts about all sorts of things and most of this stuff is going so far over my head I may throw myself out the window in a matter of minutes. I have a few, what I feel, simple questions.

I have the following:

Sony Bravia KDL-46Z5100
Sony HTIB BDV-E300S
Xbox 360
PS3
HD Cable Box

I need to get the 3 last ones to play through the surround sound. Which is the best way to make that happen?

Would it be possible for me to do it this way...

Connect the Xbox, PS3, and Cable box to the TV with HDMI and then connect the TV to the surround sound using an optical cable? What would this do for the surround sound?

Or is it better to do this...

Connect the Xbox, PS3, and cable box to the TV with HDMI and then connect each one of those items through the surround sound with an optical switch or splitter?

Thank you for the help. I'm terrible at doing this and my friends are dumber then I am about it.

MarkE19

Would it be possible for me to do it this way...

Connect the Xbox, PS3, and Cable box to the TV with HDMI and then connect the TV to the surround sound using an optical cable? What would this do for the surround sound?
There is a very good chance that the TV optical output will only pass a stereo signal to your surround sound system - RTFM to check the specs of the optical output. You would also have the audio being output from both the TV and the surround system together.
Or is it better to do this...

Connect the Xbox, PS3, and cable box to the TV with HDMI and then connect each one of those items through the surround sound with an optical switch or splitter?

Thank you for the help. I'm terrible at doing this and my friends are dumber then I am about it.
This would be a better solution IMO as you are guarenteed that the source audio output will be passed on to the surround sound system.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom