Set up help with sony bdp 370, sony str dh800 and sony kdl 40 403

ANGIEH##

Standard Member
Hi all, very new to these forums
anyway I need help with setting up audio configs with the above mentioned if someone could give a walk thru on how to get the best possible sound etc would be great as I have a pile of blu ray discs waiting to be watched but would prefer to watch them once I have the ideal sound etc. please do not use techie words as I am not very good with that sort of stuff
thank you

StevieBuck

Make sure the BDP-S370 is connected to the STR-DH800 with an HDMI cable, and that the STR-DH800 is connected to the TV with another HDMI cable.

Make sure the following settings are enabled on the Blu-ray player within the Audio Settings:

Audio (HDMI): Auto
BD Audio MIX Setting: Off
Audio DRC: Wide Range

The rest of the options will be OK at their default settings.

When you play your DVD or Blu-ray, the current audio format will show up on the front panel of the STR-DH800. Most DVDs will have 5.1 Dolby Digital. Blu-rays most commonly use 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio.

I'm assuming you have your speakers wired up and working properly through the receiver?

ANGIEH##

Standard Member
Hi, thank you for the help yes I have all 7 speakers wired up and a sub woofer as well. would you know about setting the a/v reciever up at all ?it is not like my old one which was very simple to set up and use also on the blu-ray player which settings should I use for picture and on my tv for best results (for that ultimate blu ray experience)

StevieBuck

The two receivers I have are made by Sony as well, so I'm fairly familiar with setting them up.

First thing to check is that you have the correct speaker pattern selected from the 'Speaker' section of the menu. It should be set to '3/4.1' if you have a full 7.1 speaker arrangement.

Next, go through and set the distances for all your speakers (again, this in the 'Speaker' section of the menu). This should be the approximate distance from your main TV viewing position to each speaker.

Finish off in the 'Speaker' section of the receiver menu by configuring your speaker crossover settings. Unless you have full range speakers (what speakers do you have by the way?), the front/centre/surround speakers should all be changed from 'large' to 'small'. After setting them to 'small', you will have access to the crossover frequency settings.

You can set individual crossover settings for the centre, fronts and rear speakers here. The crossover values you select for each should be no lower than the lowest frequency your speakers can handle. This should be stated in the manual for the speakers.

After you've done that, move on to the subwoofer. If it has a level/volume dial on it set it to about halfway. If it has a crossover frequency dial, set that as high as it will go and leave it there.

The final thing to complete the set up is to enable the test tone on the receiver. It'll play a sound from each speaker in turn. The tone should sound at a constant volume from each speaker (listen from your main TV viewing position). If any speaker sounds louder or quieter than the rest, scroll down through the 'Level' section of the receiver menu and alter the individial speaker level up or down accordingly.

The default video settings on the Blu-ray player should be OK. As for the TV, press the 'Scene' button on your remote and select the Cinema mode. This usually gives the most accurate picture out of all the available presets. The only time I'd ever change the TV out of this mode would be if you were using it for gaming. In that case, go to the Scene menu again and select Game mode.

In the TV's advanced picture settings, I'd disable everything here (advanced contraster, live colour, etc.). The last thing I can think of is to check that the TV is set to Full Pixel mode in the 'Screen' section of the menu when you're watching HD content. This disables any overscan, so none of the video image is cropped off. You can leave it enabled for SD content, otherwise you may get small black borders all around the video image on screen.

Top Bottom