Question Set-Up for Car Mechanic Simulator?

cabbie19

Well, that's just typical......i just downgraded my pc as wasn't gaming at all, then i saw Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 for £7.49, i fancied a go, so bought it.
I then discovered that it pretty much maxed out my MSi R9 290, i have to run the fans at 100% just to keep it below 78c, and that's after stripping, cleaning, and replacing thermal paste with MX4.
My rig is
Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.62GHz
2 x 4Gb HyperX @ 2133MHz
Gigabyte P55A-UD7 ( PCI-e 2.0 )
MSi R9 290 Gaming OC 4Gb, in OC mode
BeQuiet 630w
GameMax Iceburg 120mm AIO CPU Cooler

I tried a MSi GTX 980 4Gb on it, and it lagged, the R9 seems better for this game, so my question is.......
Would i be much better off with an RX 580 / 590?
Would an i7 870 with the extra threads help?
Would more RAM help?
Would an i5 3570K / Z77 board with PCI-e 3.0 help?

Any advice / suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks
Jamie.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
What is the issue? Frame Rate?
I do not think a game like car mechanic needs to run at 60 fps unless you really want to.
Does it have an in game benchmark?

cabbie19

What is the issue? Frame Rate?
I do not think a game like car mechanic needs to run at 60 fps unless you really want to.
Does it have an in game benchmark?

Hi Delvey, thanks for the reply :)
I'm really not a gamer, my fingers are not co-ordinated enough :( The only other game i have played a lot was Euro Truck Sim, which i could play at max settings on my old GTX 780 no problem.
The game is playing ok on the 290, but it is just running flat out, and hot.
With the 980 whenever you move the mouse to look at, or select anything it was really laggy, ie, move mouse, wait for game to move.
I just don't like the noise of the fans, makes me feel like i'm thrashing the card, and shortening it's life span.
I haven't seen any kind of in game benchmark, and i wouldn't have expected this type of game to be that hard on a gpu.

Thanks
Jamie.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
It is hard to see why the 290 or 980 would struggle to run this.
Do you have a blower card on the 290, as they do run hot?
Could you run MSI afterburner and check on CPU and GPU usage whilst playing?
Did you use DDU to uninstall the AMD drivers prior to switching the the Nvidia card?
This thread on steam: GPU FPS comparison :: Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 General Discussions
Seems to indicate a 970 can run it on medium, so the GTX 980 should have no problem

cabbie19

No, i didn't use DDU to uninstall AMD drivers, i used iobit uninstaller, with manual clean-up.
Possibly why i had issues with the 980?
I had already sold the 980 to a mate, so didn't want to spend too much time on it.
Will try the Steam overlay later, (if i can figure out how), to see what fps i'm getting.
As mentioned in op, both cards are MSi Gaming OC models, which have the Twin Frozr IV dual fan coolers.

Thanks again
Jamie.

cabbie19

UPDATE
So, i got the steam overlay up, and pretty much consistantly sits at 60fps with occasional dips into low 50's, so performance is fine with the 290, it is however running at around 100% load, and maxing out at 71c with fans on full.
I forgot to check cpu load, but it stays around 60c.

CPU USAGE
CPU runs up to 100% during gaming, but the trace is very up and down, max temp 70c, but i forgot to turn case / rad fans up.

Last edited:

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Not sure how good the Twin Frozr is at cooling, but I have the 290x Sapphire Tri-X, this runs around 70 degrees when gaming, but the fans are only around 40-45%
It could be an airflow issue in your case, the 290 series do run hot, have you setup a custom fan profile?

cabbie19

I have been reading older reviews, and the Twin Frozr doesn't fare well on AMD chips :(
I have created a custom profile for the gpu, otherwise it gets to around 78c, i have set it to hit 100% fan earlier than standard.
Case airflow isn't the best, it's an old NZXT Case (don't know model, but looks like an earlier "Phantom" type design). Cabling is very tidy, with most running behind the motherboard tray.
It has 1 x 120mm front intake, 1 x 120mm side panel intake (blows directly on GPU), 2 x 120mm top exhaust, and 1 x 120mm rear rad / exhaust. The fans are Thermaltake Riing, and can be set to full speed via a button on the RGB controller.
I brought up the AMD Control panel, and it says " pc meets minimum requirements for game, but not recommended requirements", i guess the heat issue is just what i should expect for my set-up, it all works fine, and plays the game smoothly.
I recently bought an i5 3570K / Z77 set-up for a mate, and the build has gone on the back burner, so i am going to install that in my case, and see if the stronger platform helps, otherwise i either put up with the fan noise, or upgrade my gpu by the looks of it.
Thanks very much for taking the time to work through this with me, i will update once i try the Z77 platform.

Best regards
Jamie.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Still think there could be some issue, the twin frozr coolers have always been great. My old AMD 7950 3GB MSI Twin Frozr was fantastic. Think the cpu hammering at 100% is probably the issue, sounds like it's barely managing to keep up.
Agree with above them cards should have no issue with that game so get the cpu swapped out and i would think all will be well. Windows reinstall while you're at it also.
Have been tempted with that game myself a few times.

cabbie19

Still think there could be some issue, the twin frozr coolers have always been great. My old AMD 7950 3GB MSI Twin Frozr was fantastic. Think the cpu hammering at 100% is probably the issue, sounds like it's barely managing to keep up.
Agree with above them cards should have no issue with that game so get the cpu swapped out and i would think all will be well. Windows reinstall while you're at it also.
Have been tempted with that game myself a few times.

Hi, i have swapped out the board and cpu, but not had time for a clean Win 10 install yet, will report back tomorrow after i re-install Windows, with a clean set of drivers.
The 290 runs the game well, just noisey. I think the noise is due to me trying to keep the card at 70c max (i'm used to cooler Nvidia cards), if i allow the temps to rise to 80c by altering the fan profile, it's not so loud.
I'm really enjoying the game, excellent value for money, and i would recommend it if you like that type of game.

Thanks
Jamie.

cabbie19

Hi again, time for a quick update.
So i re installed Windows and all drivers, relaxed the gpu fan profile a little, and it's running well.
The 3570K (@ 4.2GHz) is maxing at 65 - 70% with temps in 55 - 60c range while running the game, the 290 is running @ 90 - 100% with pretty much solid 60fps and no lag, temps maxing @ 78c and fan still a bit noisey (i guess that's just AMD for you).
Thankyou both for your input, it's great that people are always willing to give their time to help, that's what i love about AVF.

Thanks
Jamie.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Glad you got it sorted, but there's also an important lesson for all of us here :

Never, EVER downgrade your PC :smashin:

cabbie19

Glad you got it sorted, but there's also an important lesson for all of us here :

Never, EVER downgrade your PC :smashin:

Lesson learnt :blush:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom