Set up - Advice needed please..

neilboy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm needing to reconfigure my set up as the last person who did it for me has left an absolute guddle. Not completely their fault I must admit, but I never did understand how to work it and it doesn't work at all now.

Set up:
Pioneer Plasma (1 HDMI input)
Yamaha RX A820 AV amp (replacing Linn Cinema Classik - which had no HDMI output)
PS3
Sky HD box
Sky wireless Router
B&W 5:1 speakers

I'm not sure what to connect to what. ie the sky box - does it go to the Amp and the TV, and the PS3?
Similarly the PS3?
What should be connected directly to the router by ethernet?

I'll be using the PS3 as a DVD/ Bluray player and also to access Netflix and movies I have stored on a usb external drive.

If someone could tell me what connects to what I'm sure I could put it all together and in the process get a better understanding of how it works.

Many thanks
N.

On the back of your Yamaha RX A820 AV amp you should have various HDMI inputs and 1 or maybe 2 HDMI outputs. You should connect your inputs (sky HD, PS3) to the relevant ports on the AV Amp and then one output to the TV.

Presuming your router is close enough it may also be worthwhile to supply a hardwire connection to SKY HD and PS3.

Double post.

Thanks James - that makes sense to me.
The Yamaha hasn't arrived yet but hopefully I'll get stuck into it this weekend - and will probably be back on here looking for more advice!
The router is close so I'll connect a patch cable to the PS3 and Sky HD box as you suggest.
The Yamaha RX A820 is coming with a free Yamaha BluRay player from SevenOaks. Not sure if I'll use it, as it may just complicate things, or just keep it as a back-up.
Unless someone tells me I'll get better playback using a dedicated player as opposed to the PS3?

My other potential problem may be that the previous installer set up my Sky and the PS3 so that it fed other TV's throughout the house!!

The 820 is a good amp and can be controlled through IP too. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom