• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Set up 2nd feed from Sky dish

MBPARK

Standard Member
Just had a new kitchen extension and during building work had a new feed run down from sat. dish so we could view Sky in there. (got Sky+ box in lounge). Don't know if nextdoor neighbour gave us duff information but he said we could just view same programmes in the 2nd room if we did this with no extra Sky box required. Just put new TV on wall and plugged cable from new feed and nothing's happening - even auto set up not working. Do I need to set something up in Sky+ for the extra feed? Any help much appreciated please - I have a technophobe husband!

fernandez

Distinguished Member
Am I understanding this correctly that you have a feed from the LNB on the Sky dish directly to the TV in the kitchen and hope to watch Sky TV?
Sorry to disillusion but that can't happen. You need a Sky box and if you wish to have the same choice of channels as the main Sky box (and watch different channels on each box at the same time) you need a Multiroom subscription at £10/month and both boxes connected to the same phone line.

Your neighbour is right to a certain extent in that you can take a lead from RF2 OUT on your Sky box to the kitchen TV and tune it in to a spare analogue channel
but
you can only watch what the main Sky box is tuned to

Last edited:

logiciel

he said we could just view same programmes in the 2nd room if we did this with no extra Sky box required. Just put new TV on wall and plugged cable from new feed
Leave out "if we did this" and the neighbour was right. To do it without an extra receiver then all you need is the aerial type cable run from the Sky receiver in the other room as fernandez says. "this", a connection to the dish, doesn't come into it. To use "this" you do of course need another Sky receiver. How did you manage to plug the cable from the dish into the TV - what socket did you use?

fernandez

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

MBPARK

Standard Member
I feel a bit of a prat now! I do have my old Sky dish - could I use this for the additional TV without it having a viewing card in it? thanks for your help

Just had a new kitchen extension and during building work had a new feed run down from sat. dish so we could view Sky in there. (got Sky+ box in lounge). Don't know if nextdoor neighbour gave us duff information but he said we could just view same programmes in the 2nd room if we did this with no extra Sky box required. Just put new TV on wall and plugged cable from new feed and nothing's happening - even auto set up not working. Do I need to set something up in Sky+ for the extra feed? Any help much appreciated please - I have a technophobe husband!

fernandez

Distinguished Member
I feel a bit of a prat now! I do have my old Sky dish - could I use this for the additional TV without it having a viewing card in it? thanks for your help

Without further comment as the post from 2009 explains:D....

Yes, (I assume you mean your old Sky box rather than dish), you connect the newly installed feed to this box after fitting the appropriate F-connector to it and receive FTA channels without a card.
You will not receive FIVE without a card unless you tune it in manually and access it through the 'Other Channels' menu and BBC1 and ITV1 may default to London and West Midlands.
List of free-to-air channels at 28E - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you want the same channels as your main box post 2 explains

Last edited:

MBPARK

Standard Member
Think I'll just run the cable under the floor to the 2nd TV. Many thanks everyone.

Without further comment as the post from 2009 explains:D....

Yes, (I assume you mean your old Sky box rather than dish), you connect the newly installed feed to this box after fitting the appropriate F-connector to it and receive FTA channels without a card.
You will not receive FIVE without a card unless you tune it in manually and access it through the 'Other Channels' menu and BBC1 and ITV1 may default to London and West Midlands.
List of free-to-air channels at 28E - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you want the same channels as your main box post 2 explains

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom