• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Set top freeview reception advice

ponja

Standard Member
Hey guys.

Just recieved my usb dtv dongle with the small antennae in the mail. I always suspected I might be able to get something but would eventually have to buy the Argos telecam receiver.

Lo and behold mux B and D show up perfectly after a couple of scans and repositioning. I have tried some more however and am unable to get any other ones. The quality of the B and D at one certain position is about 55% and I can manage to get C up to 45% at one spot. I suspect it requries 50% for the channel to actually show? Using BlazeDTV.

Now my question is if I keep playing around with this would I be able to get more channels? I haven't spent much time on it and the B and D reception is perfect. Or should I just admit defeat and buy the telecam?

I'm in London WC1 on crystal palace transmitter

Cheers, Ponja

Edit:
Right managed to get another mux in by slightly tipping the antenna using some blue-tack =)
When having my hand on the antennae I am able to raise the quality to about 45 for another mux I'd like. I am wondering if anything like
aluminium or similar could possibly give me that ~7 lift i'd need for this mux and then I'd be set. Otherwise I suppose it's the telecam =(

Last edited:

BigCam

Established Member
Hi :hiya:
Have you tried connecting dongle to another aerial as the supplied antenna is only suitable in areas with strong reception
Maybe getting a TV set top aerial might improve reception
Ive read a few reviews on dongles and most work better connected to the main house aerials
BigCam

Last edited:

ponja

Standard Member
Just bought the telecam tce 2001 and for some reason it's worse than the dongle antennae... I can see how it's possible that the signal is not strong enough here but I really cannot see how this antennae could possibly be worse than the one supplied with the dongle. this is strange

Edit: I did however try to hookup the amplifier that came with the telecam to my dongle aerial, voila I have the remaining muxes :D

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom