Set top freeview box with S-Video and remote volume control?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by dealmaker, Mar 7, 2005.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

I want to wire up an LCD monitor to use as a tv.

Basically looking for a Set Top Box which has an S-Video output (either s-video lead connection or a scart S-video output) - ideally with 3.5mm jack to connect PC speakers - AND I'd like a unit which has an independant volume control i.e the volume is controlled at the source - the box itself (as I wont have control via a standard TV) via the units remote.

Anyone aware of a suitable unit???

Thanks

2. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont know of one with its own internal amplifier nor one that has an output suitable for the types found on pc monitors. if you want to use with your pc get a pci fv card.

3. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Matty,

Input on the LCD (Dell 2005fpw) is s-video (thats why I want a unit with s-video out e.g Sony VT800 has this).

Speakers I will use will have their own internal amp - so again internal STB amp not needed - but I do need a unit which can control the volume output to the powered speakers (at a milliamp level).

Sorry if you mis-understood the question.

4. tgl

tgl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sony and Echostar are both good models. The Sony has the 3.5mm socket and the Echostar has two RSA/Phono sockets so with a RSA/Phono to 3.5mm cable, that should work. Both brands are rock steady in picture, even in weak signal areas. If you have the money, go for the Sony, otherwise go for the Echostar @£69.00.

5. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Thanks for that - Sony, will be a good choice, and I have a couple already ,EXCEPT it does not have an INTERNAL volume control via remote.

It will only control the TELEVISION volume - again I'm looking for a unit with the ability to control an external audio source via volume control on the 3.5mm / Phono socket output stage.