1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set top box control from VCR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by PND, Nov 14, 2001.

Tags:
  1. PND

PND
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic NV-FJ710 VCR + Telewest Pace STB

The Panasonic 710 VCR 'controls' digital & analogue satellite STBs...

I have a Pace STB (not sure of model number) for Digital cable via Telewest. I have tried the various codes to automatically control the box from the VCR but without any luck.

Are there any upgrades available am I stuck?

Any thoughts?

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to tell you this PND, but there's not a thing that can be done about this right now. I think Telewest mostly use the Pace DiTV1000 boxes for their digital services, as do NTL. These boxes, being digital, were designed for use with several remote controls for things like interactive TV and games. Pace disregarded the usual IRDA standard protocol meant for remote controls and used one on a much higher frequency. Or something.

In short, the only remote that can control Pace Digi boxes on Telewest and NTL are those supplied. No universal or learning remote can possibly work with them at this time, because they simply cannot reproduce a high enough frequency.

Check out this link, about half way down the page:

http://www.remotecentral.com/features/premotes.htm

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PND,

Isn't is possible to configure the 710 scart 2 to start/stop recording on receiving a signal from a decoder. ie. set the cable box timer for the programmes you want to record and the vcr records.

Not something I have tried but seem to remember reading it some where.

Not the answer you wanted but controlling pace cable boxes is not easy!!! the only other way is via TIVO, which after a few months use is excellent.

Sorry

gary