Set this lot up for a beginner !!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by DaveBro, Dec 30, 2004.

1. DaveBro

DaveBro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right here we go.

I get sky+.
    I get a SonyRDR-HX900 DVD/HDD Recorder.
    I get a SonySTR-DB795 Surround Amp.

What i need to know is how the hell will it all go together, and could i use my Davs 550 speakers until i can afford some better/more powerful ones ?

Would this seam a decent set up for recording tv with sky+ and then archiving things i want to keep onto the 900 ?

What about a digital tuner? Any decent ones out there to add into the system ?

I'd really prefer a all in one home cinema package with a dvd/hdd recorder but these seam a bit thin on the ground.

I'm sure theres loads i'm missing but just need to get the ball rolling.
    Also if i got the Sony gear / tuner from a reputable shop would they come and install it all.

Thanks lads i don't want to lay out money and find it doesn't all fit together :suicide:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well you can use RGB scart or s-video to get the video from SKY+ to the DVD recorder with RCA phonos or optical connection for audio, RGB scart also carries audio as well.
    The amp would be connected to SKY+ via the optical connection and/or optical/coaxial from the DVD recorder, phonos could also be used.
    I don't see any real issue with using this setup to archieve programming onto DVD for permenant storage, the addition of the HD in the DVD recorder also allows more flexible editing for advert removal etc.

Don't know enough about the speakers included in the 550 HC package, they may be a little small to handle the quality of the new amp, you would certainly be looking at new speakers as soon as possible even if the 550 ones were userable.

SKY+ acts as the digital tuner, watch one channel while recording another etc etc.
    You could always add Freeview if you felt the need for a second digital source.

I would suspect a decent dealer would be willing to set hardware up when it's delieverd, want say it will be a free service though but they should certainly advise you on connections methods at the time of purchase.
    Anyhow, I've always found that you learn more sitting down with a manual and working it all out yourself:)

3. DaveBro

DaveBro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that mate. I'll definateley get better speakers in time.
    I actually have a Digital tv from sony so get some freeview programs at the minute. Haven't got a decent aerial though so basically tune in what i can through the loft one. Saying that it's not bad but still think i'll get sky+.

Cheers again and if you can think of an all in one with dvd recorder/hdd i'll have a look. :)

4. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    not sure u really need sky + tho as u have a hdd in ur dvd player !! unless of coarse u want the twin tuners??

5. DaveBro

DaveBro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically i asume Sky+ just makes it a lot easier to record of of sky etc ?
    Also like the idea of setting it to record a whole series over a period of time.
    If the DVD/HDD recorder can do this then i won't get sky+.
    Also thinking that I could possibly get Sky+ and archive it to my PC to burn a DVD?
    Is that possible?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY+ is a far better solution than a standard digibox connected to a DVD/HD recorder, not only does it record the original digital bistream (including DD5.1) it also incorporates the EPG/Series links etc and of course twin tuners.
    If you can afford it then I would get SKY+ and the DVD/HD recorder for maximum flexibilty.

With suitable hardware a PC can take the analogue output of SKY+ and capture/authour and burn DVD's, not as simple and elegant as a standalone recorder though:)

7. DaveBro

DaveBro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate. I'm nearly decided :thumbsup: