1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set that are switchable between 100Hz and 50Hz?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by swin70, Jan 6, 2005.

1. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all,

Is anyone able to give me some ideas on different 100Hz sets that are switchable to 50Hz? I poped into the SOny dealership yesterday and was looking at one of the Wega's (don't know which one) but the salesman said that the 100Hz set I was looking at had the ability to drop to 50Hz.

Otherwise has anyone with one of the Toshiba's 32ZP38 or 46 or 48 models watched any sport of fast moving TV yet? Although I have previewed these sets and they seem very good, I would like to get some second opionions as to there processing of fast moving images.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    AFAIK only the Sony DRC-MF TVs can change scanning rates, I think JVC do a 75Hz TV - whatever you do - make sure you audition before purchase!

3. Brainboy

Brainboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I looked at the KD32DX200 yesterday in Sony Centre and the DRC50 setting looked the best for football - having had a v bad experience with a Loewe 100Hz and football I am verging towards a simple 50Hz set. The KD32DX200 has three easily switchable settings 50Hz, 50hz with DRC and 100Hz with DRC. To me DRC50 looked best for football or fastish motion shots - I watched the Man U disallowed goal on Sky Sports News through a freeview box - the long left to right panning shot seemed ok on the 50 a litle sharper on 50DRC but the pitch pixelated quite badly and broke up at the 100HZ setting.

Am I alone in thinking 100Hz is a waste of time and money and good 50 Hz is still best?

4. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have seen the image of the tosh's and thought there are superb. IBut I have yet to relly see fast moving TV images. The problem is being at the store at the right time when such an image is being shown. That's why I would like others that have just bought there loively new ZP's to see if they have noticed problem on more extended viewing.

5. boab_is

boab_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the tosh picture frame ZP tvs have the option to switch between regular 100Hz and "Natural Motion"-esque mode. this smooths out the football a fair bit, but it can still be caught out. your eye is the judge however. :smashin:

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I watch football (via freeview) on my Toshiba 32ZP48. We always have the set in 'Natural' scan mode. I have to say the action seems fine to me. I also have to admit I never recommend Sky for watching football but I readily accept that if you are 'football mad' then you have little option othe than to get Sky. Regards, yt.

7. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The JVC 32X4 states it has a "natural scan mode" here but having looked through the manual I cant find reference to it? My Dad is looking at new TV's but watches a lot of football (SKY+) but is worried about the 100hz processing.

8. L00py^

L00py^
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tosh 36ZP48 is fine when displaying football on sky.

9. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have both 50 and 100 htz .Although the 50 is only a 24".Football is definitely better on 50htz scanning.This is down to skys poor quality and the improved definition on a 100htz set,making some live sports suffer.