Set sub to 'yes' when no sub present? Marantz SR-6011 & Dali Opticon 2

NewAcousticDimension

No, according to me after listening to it. Don't particularly care what Ausyssey say and they'd be biased anyway.

I'm not alone in disliking DEQ, but it is a personal choice at the end of the day.

I agree with you. Of particular irritation is how it boost the surround channels. If it didn't do that, and just added the variable bass curves at below reference, then I'd probably still use it (albeit certainly not at 0dB ROS setting, maybe -10dB so it doesn't blow my head off).

Because after running Audyssey it defaults to DeQ on, a lot of people fall into the trap (and I include myself in the past) of then boosting up centre channel afterwards to hear dialogue properly.

If you have DeQ off, after running Audyssey properly, you should (assuming your room/speakers are all hunky dory) find that the dialogue level is adequate. If you turn up the MV to a level where dialogue is clear, the rest of the sound is all balanced with it.

As you've pointed out, I think I agree that they recommend DV on with DeQ because you need it haha to compensate for the crapness of DeQ!

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Is deq similar to loudness?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220608-083943.png
    Screenshot_20220608-083943.png
    490.1 KB · Views: 14

dante01

Distinguished Member
Is deq similar to loudness?

Sort of, but with a lot more jiggery pokery going in in terms of processing:

After years of dormancy, Dolby and Audyssey, it seems, have both brought back their own flavor of the 'loudness' control which came standard on all stereo systems, boom boxes and portable music systems made during the 80s and 90s. Audyssey Laboratories is introducing its flavor of this revised and improved tech, dubbed the Audyssey Dynamic EQ. The culmination of years of research, Dynamic EQ selects the best possible frequency response and surround volume levels moment-by-moment. The result is bass response, tonal balance and surround impression that remain constant despite changes in volume. This is the first technology that carefully combines information from incoming source levels with actual output sound levels in the room, a pre-requisite for delivering a dynamic volume solution.

more here:

Note that all the "the best possible" is eminating from Audyssey and their descriprions of it. Tonal balance isn't quite as they describe it in reality.

Last edited:

tahirti3

If it were me in this situation, i would factory reset the avr and then make sure all eq processing is turned of until you get a sub.and play at levels your front speakers are "ok" with.

DavidT

Im not a fan of DEQ either. I dont like the way with it enabled boosts the volume of the surround channels. On my X2100 i had DEQ off and DV on medium but on my X4500 the same settings causes some DD dialogue to sound hollow so on my X4500 i have both DEQ and DV off.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom