1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

set pj or dvd player ??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by karkus30, Jul 28, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Having now purchased a copy of VDE, I settled down to try and get to grip with the fundamentals..........and having failed miserably :confused: I need a bit of help.

I just want to get the basic set up right, VDE mentions brightness, contrast, sharpness, tint and hue.............OK got that, quick check in the DVD and PJ manuals and add another term.......Gamma correction WHHAAAAT :confused:

Check back through the VDE disc and its all about setting up your common or garden TV, but it doesnt mention that all these settings (including the unmentioned gamma correction) are also available at the DVD.

Now I am inclined to believe that its best to set up your DVD player to do all these adjustments, but what do you set the PJ to. Default settings ?? something dimmer? brighter/ less tinted? more Gamma'ed?

The DVE pack is full of coloured filters (which are nice) and I get some of whats going on, but the descriptions are really confusing and get zoomed over at the speed of light............................"err what was that he said about Gamma".........Wife "No, that was me, do you want Gammon for tea"......"look be quiet Im trying to absorb this".....wife "Im losing the will to live!"...............

You get the picture :rolleyes:

So, where to start ? If I can get the basic bits sorted, such as PJ or DVD adjustment and how Gammon interacts with tinted sellophane then I might be on my way..

Please, someone help :( its driving me mad :suicide:

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The projector will have a wider range of adjustment than the dvd player so I would leave the dvd player in default and adjust the projector.
    Avia is easier to use than DVE in my opinion.

Jeff

3. HAEMATINICUS

HAEMATINICUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have had the same problems.
    My Panasonic 868 DVD player had a mass of video settings including a complete screen of settings for the HDMI link.
    I foound the VDE disc a little difficult to follow and use.
    I have now purchased The Avia Guide to Home Theatre and that thankfully is far easier to follow.
    I have direct video out set on the DVD player (picture sent as recorded onto DVD) and fiddled with the various settings on the projector.
    Once you start you will find it impossible to stop fiddling so BE WARNED!

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I think DVE is aimed at the semi-pro end of the market. Its certainly not what I hoped it would be. Some sort of easy to follow stage by stage, idiot proof guide would be more my scene.

I think it might be easier to let a professional set it up and learn from them for the future.

5. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I used to think VE was difficult to navigate but I find DVE even worse.

Give me Avia any day.

Jeff

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am not DVE's biggest fan.

Avia is my preferred choice but Pal calibration is necessary for many.

:smoke: