• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Set and Forget NAS with PHYSICAL BUTTONS

PerfectBlue97

I'm looking for a single bay NAS to do back up for a family member, my two requirements are:

1) that it have some kind of "set and forget" backup software that will run in the background without the user needing to do anything, or even to know that it's there. I'm looking for software that comes with the NAS, not independent software which tends to have better features but be more complicated.

2) That it has some kind of physical button on it that allows it to be rebooted and\or powered up\down safely. Rather than doing so by switching it off at the mains.

I'm on my second WD Mycloud "not initiating" error in two years (plus I'm not satisfied with it overall) so I'm looking to replace it, and I'm sick of buggy backup software that bombards my non-technical relatives with messages that they don't understand. Causing them to drag me in to support them.

This device will be for backup, and backup alone. It won't ever be used for anything more than replicating folders (Incremental backup would be nice). So it doesn't need any media functions, or anything like that. If by some chance I do get one with any more advanced features I don't plan to tell anybody that they are available, as I don't want to have to support them when they go wrong, or when somebody forgets how to use something.

The physical button for shutdown\reboot is very important as they have one of those silly ISP provided routers that needs rebooting every few weeks, causing the IP addresses to go haywire, and having a button to turn it off and back on again to trigger the DHCP is a lot simpler than doing anything else.

Fixing the router something for another thread, not here.

I'm erring on the side of a single bay entry level Synology NAS with a WD Red disc and a basic 1tb disc (more space than they will ever need). Unless anybody has any other recommendations.

The first person who recommends that I wait for Destiny II on the PS4, or tells me that the new iPhone is great will not be in my good books (Soooo many irrelevant recommendations from past threads)

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Rather than looking for a NAS with a "physical button" why don't you just set the NAS to use a static IP address then it won't matter if you reboot the router.

PerfectBlue97

Rather than looking for a NAS with a "physical button" why don't you just set the NAS to use a static IP address then it won't matter if you reboot the router.

No offense, but I have two requirements, and one of them is a physical button. A static IP address won't give you a managed shutdown or reboot option. I'm dealing with a non technical user on an unstable network (which I will deal with in another thread). If I don't have a physical button that does a managed shutdown then they will simply turn it off at the mains, which is how the disc became corrupted the first time that the NAS went down. A fixed IP address won't help in this situation, but making sure that they have a safe way to shut down or reboot will.

Please see the last paragraph of my comment about not recommending me an iPhone.

Last edited:

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
110 views and one response which you then go on to lambaste ... (wormvortex is still right)

You aren't going to get many people wanting to help you if you are so closed minded and reply like that. You don't happen to work for a procurement department in the government do you ? :p

You have one real requirement, a hands off automatic non intrusive, backup of some folders on a family members computer presumably remote from you.

Rather importantly you don't mention the actual size or content types of the backup other than 1TB will be far more than they ever need.

As you have already designed part of the solution, which may or may not be the best solution to the one requirement, you then go on to place some conditions on said solution by stating about the physical on\off button and wanting folder replication (which really helps well with ransomware :facepalm:).

I find that users can and will screw up power off sequences regardless of ability, if you don't need that take it out of the process.

Then your last paragraph really takes the biscuit.

So I won't recommend another solution ...

PerfectBlue97

110 views and one response which you then go on to lambaste ... (wormvortex is still right)

You aren't going to get many people wanting to help you if you are so closed minded and reply like that. You don't happen to work for a procurement department in the government do you ? :p

You have one real requirement, a hands off automatic non intrusive, backup of some folders on a family members computer presumably remote from you.

Rather importantly you don't mention the actual size or content types of the backup other than 1TB will be far more than they ever need.

As you have already designed part of the solution, which may or may not be the best solution to the one requirement, you then go on to place some conditions on said solution by stating about the physical on\off button and wanting folder replication (which really helps well with ransomware :facepalm:).

I find that users can and will screw up power off sequences regardless of ability, if you don't need that take it out of the process.

Then your last paragraph really takes the biscuit.

So I won't recommend another solution ...

It seems to me that you have nothing useful to offer, and are just here to argue. It would be nice if people would simply read posts and take them at face value rather than creating thread drift by second guessing the OP.

Your not even recommending me an iPhone, your getting upset because I'm telling people that an iPhone won't mow my lawn.

I have a specific requirement, I'm looking for a product to fill this requirement. I'm not looking for alternative solutions. If I was then I'd say so.

Please stop drifting this thread. There are plenty of chat threads, and plenty of people asking for specifications. This is not one of those threads. I have my specification, I now need product that meets it.

The fact that I clearly stated that I'm looking at an entry level Synology NAS with a 1TB disc sets the bar for price, hardware specification and form factor. From this it should be obvious that I don't need a 2TB rack mounted server with Plex and 4k transcoding. It should also make it obvious that my end user is looking to perform a very basic no frills file backup of a home computer. Not to do real time replication of some horrendously complex HA system (I shouldn't even need to say that this will be the minutes of their book club meeting in MS Word and various selfies of the user standing in front of cats, taken on an iphone6 with the flash set to auto).

The fact that I said that the network issue was something for another thread isn't an invitation to make it part of this thread.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
You're funny, not here to argue, although clearly I am in your opinion. I enjoy helping others, look at my number of posts and ratings ...

No else has replied because you want a NAS that will cut your hedge and they don't do one and will argue the toss with anybody :rolleyes:

If you are adamant that a Synology NAS with a 1TB will do the job then buy that, why bother asking?

Having multiple threads about related topics isn't good etiquette.

And lastly why would you suspect I would want to suggest a full blown rack mounted NAS based on what I put, a simple backup solution ....

There is a simple and elegant solution potentially based on requirements if fleshed out that's cheaper than what you are suggesting.

bubblegum57

At the risk of getting abuse, I assume you want to backup files from a PC or MAC

So, if I understand correctly, how about installing free backup software, like Paragon, Easus, etc on the pc?

Then set up a schedule to backup, obviously the pc & nas will need to be on.

You can also set a schedule to shut the nas down when not in use, although NAS does not use a lot of power, so could be left on.

As for a physical button on a nas, my synology DS414 has an on/off switch, but I won't use it unless I have a problem with it. A nas has to be shutdown safely.

But having reread your original post, perhaps I am wrong,

So, from Data Backup - DSM 6.1 | Synology Inc. this gives various backup types on a synology nas, but I don't think all of these packages are available with all models.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I think the OP should buy a new iPhone.

They're fantastic.

Top tip - If you want something from someone else, try being nice. Being an arrogant, argumentative, unappreciative tool makes nobody want to help you.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom