1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Servo15 bottoming out or just broken..?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SanPedro, Sep 20, 2003.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    I bought a Servo 15 on the classified a couple of months ago. It's running from a Sherwood 6095. On certain movies the speaker seems to 'lose it' and starts rattling. The volume on the back is set at no more than a quarter. Receiver volume is set at 60 out of 75 on its volume scale.

Is it the Servo or is it the amp that's to blame. Would a better amp have more control and so this wouldn't be a problem. Or is it the speaker that's knacked or are some movies just tooo OTT for any sub.

Please tell me it's the receiver that's cack as I'd like to replace this anyway sometime.

Movies in question were Attack of the Clones and K19.

Cheers

Chris

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what exactly does rattling mean? Is the noise something so loud and disturbing that your only reaction is to run and turn it off?

Ad

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The amp won't be doing you any sonic favours and whilst you have a low distortion subwoofer it will probably be inheriting high levels of distortion from the LFE output on the amp, especially if you have the speakers set to small.

The Attack of The Clones is affectionately known as the sub killer and can make the best of subs bottom out unless they are fitted with a limiter.

My advice would be to get yourself a better amp in keeping with the rest of your equipment and stop watching crap films :D

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might have the subwoofer set really loud. Have you calibrated with the Sherwood's test tone?

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Nathan/Ian/Buns

Thanks for the swift reply. The noise is almost as if its come to the end of its capabilities. And yes, it does make me want to run a turn it down. When you take the grill off to see what's happening in these films the driver is bouncing in and out like a mad 'un (not very technical description I know) but its as if its banging against the bump stops, like there's no control.

The volume is set pretty low on the sub as I said. Is it because it's trying to handle some ultra low frequencies that are being poorly delivered by the amp. So, basically, a better amp will run at higher volumes producing less distortion. What sort of cash would be needed to upgrade out of this problem then?

Looks like I'll have to save some pennies.

Thanks

Chris

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The subwoofer has it's own amp... therefore upgrading your Sherwood to a top of the range AV amp will result in no more power (to the subwoofer output), as the signal is low level.

Apart from the fact that better AV amps/processors have lower distortion on the subwoofer channel, and sound better on all channels.

Try using the pre-out from a high quality stereo integrated amp. You'll need the Paradigm X-20 crossover module though. Or if a mate has a decent AV Amp/processor ask him to bring it round so you can check if the Sherwood is a bit dodgy.

7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Cheers Nathan

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    how is the sherwood set? what level is the sub set at? What sort of volumes are you listening at?

Ad

9. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When the sub isn't bottoming out (from your description, that's the only thing I imagine it to be) is the volume too loud? I.e. do you think you've got it set too high? Don't use the sub's dial as your reference - most subs have a lot of gain and should be set quite low anyway - but how does it sound? The sub out on the amp may be set too high, for instance. If the sub's volume is too high, an OTT LFE scene may be enough to bottom it out (though this is the first time I've heard of a Servo-15 bottoming out - anyone else know otherwise?)

Dunc

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well i cant bottom mine..... ive tried and any louder i'll start registering on the richter scale!

Ad

11. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Chris
    I did read on the american avs were a servo 15 had the same problem as yours iam not 100% but iam sure it was somthing to do with a limiter on the servo .he had sent it in for repair only for the same thing to happen again a year later he wanted advice to see if it was worth repairing but it wasnt cheap so he scrapped it.
    Gonzo.:(

12. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Dunkyboy

It may be that I have the subs vol is set too high. If I lower it just a fraction then the problem disappears. If you imagine looking at the volume control on the servo (from the rear) it is set at a quarter to the hour, if you get my meaning. It still manges to deliver what I consider plenty of oomph on movies though, in general. But the difference between clean bass and distortion is no more than a couple of notches on the rear volume.

What do others have their's set at I wonder?

On the receiver, which I think is limited in its controls, the other speakers are set to small. The front speakers are all set at the same level as the sub ie. zero. My rears are set to -3. This was done manually without an SPL. The test tone from the sub was difficult to compare to the other tones by ear as it is so much lower in frequency.

Actual volume on the receiver was set at 60 out of 75. The receiver doesn't have the ref level Db settings as its volume control. Turning the master volume down just a couple of stops solves the problem as well. Is it my amp then that is running into distortion at these levels?

I hope it's not the sub :(

I've not noticed the rattling effect with music as yet mind. The only thing rattling then was the door frame when playing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon

Chris L

13. tvr

tvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    In your first post, you mentioned "rattling"

Just in case you haven't already checked, might be an idea to make sure anything hasn't come unstuck inside your sub.

At a particularly low frequency, my old sub would "rattle"

Turned out that the amplifier inside the sub had come loose! and was resonating away!! Simply had to screw it back down tight.

Just an idea!

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    do you have an spl that would tell you what volume this happens at?

15. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Buns

Unfortunately no, I don't have an SPL meter.

But what volume do you have the Servo set at the back. Anything past -62 on mine and that's when the rattling sets in.

It's only noticeable on a minority of DVDs (2 so far).

I might try checking evrything is screwed down tight though. Would you go in through the fron drive unit or via the back where the heat sink is?

Might try giving Paradigm an email as well. See if they can tell me something.

Cheers

Chris

16. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,172
    Go through the front.

I have heard of a servo rattling before, turns out something inside did come unstuck.

You've not been specific enough with the volume though, what number on the back of the sub is the dial set to? Is your amp calibrated? etc etc

17. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    that does seem a tad low..... mine is up to -56 which is its calibrated position but i have had it much much higher when trying to set my peak limiter...... to be honest i ended up without the limiter because i ran it right up as far as the processor went and i didnt bottom out

18. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Smurfin

Volume on sub is set at -60 to -62. Which is about 1/4 way round. The receiver volume is set at 60 out of 72 on its scale.

I'd bought the sub 2nd hand. It had some cosmetic damage, which had been repaired. It could be there is something loose on the inside when it got damaged.

Will try my hand with a screwdriver this week.

Chris

19. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cris, try moving the sub. It may just be that your sub is in a location where a given frequency will set up a standing wave. This can build to levels which will cause the sub driver to flap or rattle.
    This seems as if it may be the case particularly if you only notice it with certain flims scenes and not with music.

HTH

20. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Thanks vection. The more ideas the better.
    I've had an offer of taking it round to someone elses that has a Servo and doing a comparison. If they both sound the same then all well and good. If not... then back to RS it'll have to be.

Cheers

Chris L

21. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Chris

are you sorted yet?

22. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Yeah hopefully Bee

Took it into my local RS. They've managed to find an ex demo that they can do a p/x for about £40. Should hopefully get it by end of week. Can't tell you where it is though in case anyone else nicks in and nabs it. ;)

Thanks for your interest anyway.

BTW did you have any other ideas? Or alternative?

Cheers

Chris

23. upgradeitis

upgradeitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Guys, my first post on this forum. Just a quick query:

Is anyone else having trouble accessing paradigm's website lately? I havent been able to for about two weeks now. Is this the correct address: http://www.paradigm.ca/

Thought it was my browser settings but EVERYTHING else is fine.

Cheers,

Sean.

24. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  25. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have a similar problem like this. My subwoofer is B&W ASW1000.When it comes to movies the subwoofer start clipping.Not with every movie makes it and when the volome is high.The first time it made it was with Titan AE and then it made it again with minority report.

The volome setiings on the amplifier is set -15 and on the subwoofer is set like 11 o`clock. Do you think the volome are set to high?When it comes to music this never happened even if I turn it higher

Do yoy think I shall buy another subwoofer for LFE and reduce the volome?

Or there are some other ideas?

Do yoy think my settings are to high? And if so why I don`t have this problem with music?

26. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Figlio

looks like you need to check your settings. I had this problem on my sub with settings much lower. I had my sub set at the same level as my fronts and the sub volume at about a quarter of its max volume. Ideally you should use a sound (SPL) meter to balance the system. A simple way would be to choose a track with lots of bass. Turn the sub volume up so its just abit too boomy and then turn back down. Yours is a damn good sub and should be capable of making the furniture move. sound meters are available for about £40 in the UK

chris

27. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank Chris,

I am going to make an upgrade of my amp in the near future.The only think I am waiting is some reviews o fthe new amp from yamaha Dsp z9. I am olso considering the pioneer av10i Both amps have the auto sound calibration.

Do I still need an spl meter?

28. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Upgradeitis, there seems to be a problem with Paradigm's site on Blueyonder and other ISPs as well. I can't access it from my home account (BY cable) and neither can my friend on Zen ADSL, but using our uni's free proxy server it works fine. Seems some service providers are affected, others are fine. No idea why, or if it's likely to get fixed... :(

Dunc

29. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    The MACC system on the Pioneer is supposed to make set up as painless as possible. From the reports I've read it takes about 90% of the effort out of setting a system up. The other 10% is down to personal preference.

It sets the sound level on each speaker, delay etc. I'd like something like that myself when funds allow.

Andyou probably wouldn't need an SPL meter then.

But I would still have a play around with your current settingsin the meantime. You shouldn't have such problems with a sub of that calibre (unless it's knackered of course)

Good luck

Chris

30. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi figlio
    If you can i would buy an spl meter anyway, then at least you will be able to know if everything is fine after auto set up.You can buy an analogue spl meter for around 24 quid which if youve spent thousands on your kit isnt much to pay out extra.
    Cheers Gonzo.
    PS my oldmans maltese he left in the 1950s hasnt been back since.Ive been over twice met relatives ,when he retires next year were going to take him back.