1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

servo x30 control question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by morg, Apr 16, 2003.

1. morg

morg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a denon avr3802 receiver and mission m72 speakers and
    am addding a servo15 to the setup. On the amplifier the lowest
    subwoofer cut off is 80hz. The speakers low cut off is 56hz. What
    I was hoping to do is run the speakers as large and setting the
    subwoofer crossover at 60hz. Would the X30 controller do this
    for me or would I be better setting the speakers to small and
    the cut off to 80hz on the amplifier and forgetting about the
    X30 controller altogether.

Thanks in advance for any advice received.
    Morg

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would set the M72's as small, and set the subwoofer at 80z.

Don't bother with the X-30.

If you set the M72's as large, full range from 20-56hz will be amplified - although the speakers can't reproduced them frequencies, so you'll loose dynamic range and amp headroom.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THe X-30 does have a 50hz setting, but I agree with Nathan...I don't think you'll realize any performance benefits dropping the XO point from 80hz to 50hz. Ideally you could borrow a X-30 from the local Paradigm dealer for a weekend audition before you were commited to the purchase.

Tom V.
    SVS

4. morg

morg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Will the fact that the subwoofer has no
    phase control on it have any effect.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your system is wired up correctly you don't need subwoofer phase control. You might need switchable/variable phase control if using dual subwoofers, depending where the subs are placed (one might cancel the other out)

Here's some info...

http://svsubwoofers.com/marchandsubsonic.htm

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That could be more problematic. Usually a simple 0-180 switch will suffice, but a fully continuous 0-180 control is even better. Think of the phase control as sort of a time delay for the bass. Depending on the positions of the key seats, the rest of the speakers and how the subwoofer's position relates to each...having a phase control can allow the sound produced from the subwoofer to arrive at the key seating more "aligned" with the sound from the rest of the speakers. In some cases, no phase tweaking is needed at all, in others, all the phase tweaking in the world won't lead to more than a very subtle improvement. But in some situations...especially those with multiple subs/speakers producing bass(speakers set to large for example)...nailing the phase setting on the subwoofer can make a very noticeable improvement.

So I guess, that is my long winded way of saying...you'll probably have to add the control and try it out for a weekend before you can be sure if it will be of any benefit..:)

Tom V.
    SVS

7. morg

morg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice lads. Just another quick question is richer sounds the only supplier of servo 15s. The only finish they have them in is black and the finish I was looking for is light cherry but
    they seem to be the only suppliers in the country.