1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Servo 15's....Like london buses...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Family Guy, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You wait for years for one to come and then 6 arrive at once!!!

Have you seen the AV classifieds with these things...loads of them. And from memory, not one has sold!!! :eek:

A few months ago, you couldn't get one of these for love nor money...why is everybody selling all of a sudden... :confused:

BTW - average price of £450 - still overpriced for what is by todays standards, a pretty ordinary sub - IMO. Paid £330 for my Velodyne CHT15...much newer and very similar spec...

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Where did you get the CHT15 for £330 from? :eek:

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,080
    Having owned both, I would always go for the servo 15, just a tighter less boomy sound in my system. I found the CHT a little too heavy. BTW servos will not sell for that type of money nowadays, maybe £300 would be a fairer price, but then when there is demand.....

4. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    No offence, but a aged Paradigm Servo 15 will P**S ALL OVER that Velodyne of yours. Just heard the Velodyne recently and it has none of the control or ability to go very loud that the Servo has. The Championship versus the top flight Premiership club IMHO.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Phil are you still using your twin servos?.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,080
    No subs in my system at the moment, looking at a DD12 or something with similar performance.

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None taken...you're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine...which is why I put IMO in my original post...if they are so good, why are there so many in the classifieds...? ;)

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,080
    Overpriced? Like I said in my post things have moved on since the CHT and Servo were originally released and sought after, look at the SVS subs, various B&W offerings and the list goes on. A servo 15 at £300ish would be a realisticly priced bargain and certainly a better bet than the (front) ported CHT 15 IMO, but at the classified prices they don't look so tempting, after all Richers were selling them @ £400 new. (BTW, there have been many CHT 15's sold as well on the classifieds so I don't see the point of your arguement). And a servo 15 described as ordinary? Better watch out we don't want some catching fire again;)

9. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

I can pretty much count on the fingers of one hand the subs that I'd upgrade to from my Servo 15. DD15/DD18, ASW850 some of the higher end SVS jobbies that would be about it to be honest. Hardly any of the other subs gives a big enough jump in performance to warrant it bieng called an upgrade. A pukka set up Servo is still a thing of beauty in my book :thumbsup: Don't forget how much these sold for in the States, we were just spoilt when Richer did them for £400!

Nice tight clean bass that's what the Servo gives you. Just out of interest, how many other subs are out there at £400 that have a motion feedback circuit on them?

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys...I'm not here to blow the Velo trumpet. I had never even heard the CHT15 before I went to Epoman's house to collect. The point I'm trying to make here is why are Servo's so expensive second hand...? £450 for what in effect COULD be a 4 year old sub dosen't make a lot of sense to me. That's how much RS were selling them for IIRC...
    As Phil has said, £300 would be a more sensible price for one these days...and put the £330 I paid for a 12 month old CHT15 (which was sold because it didn't meet the WAF - no other reason...), against the £450 being asked for the Servo 15's, it make's mine seem an even better bargain...
    Now...crunch time. Had I seen a Servo 15 advertised for the same price as my Velo would I have brought it...? (My CHT was advertised at £375...I managed to succesfully haggle). I would defo have entered into negotiations on reputation alone.
    I've never stated that thet the Servo's are a BAD sub...what i did say is they are pretty ordinary compared to what you can buy today. Why people have to jump to the defence of something I haven't even slagged off is beyond me... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I think they miss interpreted your statement that all.

I would love to hear a well setup servo but they are even bigger than the Svs pb12 than I have so there is no way I could accomodate one :( or get it past WAF :eek: )

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Is it growing mate? :eek:

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I wish that would happon :devil: Think it was a freudian slip :D or just dreaming :rolleyes:

14. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It was the "pretty ordinary sub" statement that I was addressing. Anyone who's owned one and gone to any lengths to get it set up correctly will tell you that it's a far from an ordinary sub. That's why you had people phoning round every Richer's in the country trying to track one down! I doubt the CHT would have generated that amount of interest.

Yes I own a Servo, but that doesn't make me defend it without a damn good reason. Every piece of equipment in my cinema room has changed over the last 3 years some bits have been upgraded two or three times. The only bits of kit that have seen off all the changes are my Barco projector and my Servo 15. That's how highly I rate it. I just think your doing it an injustice to call it ordinary, even against today's sub's.

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    I've not owned a Servo 15 for a couple of years now, but I'd still be happy with one. Yes they are old. Yes there's better out there, and yes I'd take one over a CHT-15 any day of the week:)

Long gone are the days when people were extolling the virtues of the CHT over the Servo-15;) [but still the CHT-15 is a class sub]

I do agree now however, that £450 second hand is way too much to ask for one...

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you...someone who's actually seen the point of this thread... :rolleyes:

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I'm tempted to buy more :) But hey I was late onto the Servo bandwagon :)

18. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If it wasn't for you Mr Rhodes I'd have missed the Heavenly Servo bandwagon completely!! :D :D

19. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I bought one of these last week for £350 (without the grill). These are the nuts. Waaaay… better than my old Strata II.

Family Guy your local to me, your more than welcome to come round for a dem. :D

20. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a plan mate. Drop me a PM if you want and we'll arrange it.

21. bigscreencrazy

bigscreencrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

just a thought, do not want to be rude. any comments on servo15 , SVS PB12 and velodye.

price range between 350- 500 £.

second hand servo15 -- 450 £ on this forum
    SVS PB12--- from US aroun 500£ but new

appreciate your suggestion.

22. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Several Servo 15 owners have heard my SVS 29-39 PC Plus and seem to think that there's little in it but I'm not how sure that equates performance wise to the PB12-ISD.

I don't think that the similarly priced Velodynes are in the same league and
    whilst the Servo 15 may shade it in performance terms over the PB12-ISD you may also want to consider the fact that one is brand new with a warranty whilst the other is likely to be out of warranty and far more complicated too.

23. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Family Guy,

Sorry for not getting back to you yesterday, I was decorating and then had some unannounced work friends turn up to check out my new HT.

Are you free today say, late afternoon/early evening.

You'll be one of the first to view my latest HT project. :devil:
    The shell of the extension was completed early Jan and I've spent the past 4 months hanging doors and decorating.

The servo-15 is big, but with a nice piece of rag chucked over it it can easily be lost within the room, take a look :D .

Surrey Lad :smashin:

Attached Files:

24. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Back in the dark old days, few people knew about subs. Thnaksfully things have changes and now there is some good info out in the forums telling people what is important. This means that we now have a choice re quality. Joining the Servo bandwagon we have SVS, Velodyne, B and W and quite a few others which I rate like the £500 Mordant Short. The choice is better than ever and we now make less mistakes than we used to (yes most of us have been through the REL thing).

In all that time I have heard VERY few subs that better the Servo significantly, Genelec comes to mind as do perhaps the DD velodyne (it's the electronics bit I like) but none of them have tempted me to upgrade from Dual Servos, they are still fully competitive. If I have SVS etc I wouldn't change but if I was moving into the premium group fro the first time, Servos would still be close to the top of my list. Why? Simply they did thngs correctly 5 years ago and the laws of physics have not changed much.

If I had the money to change (which I don't) it would be the huge Genelec for me :)

25. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I saw the point of the thread Family Guy, I just didn't agree with it. £450 for a Servo is still a good buy, because it's a bloody good sub!!

26. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    If at all! ;)