1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Servo 15

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by garylloyd, Dec 13, 2001.

1. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi all.
    After a bit of reserch the servo 15 looks like the sub to go for.
    It will be used for HT only.
    Are there any negative points about it besides the size and having to buy it from RS.
    I know there are some fans of it on this forum but are there any haters.
    I read Audioreviews site,it sounds like these people have listened to different subs.
    Some love it,others are really disapointed.
    My local RS will not demo me this sub.I guess I could try other branches.
    Thanks
    Gary

2. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Anybody any thoughts on this sub?
    Thanks

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Gary

I don't think there are any haters, just about everyone seems to think it is one of the premium subs around (there are others). Everything you need to know has probably done already here and covered in you initial post, else do a search under my name or SteveEx. I have 2 and I am very pleased with them. I think they offer exceptional value for money, I also have a REL Storm which I have had less success with if that gives you any bench mark. Value for money I don't think anyone can touch them but they are BIG.

Re the varierty of reviews I put this down to people ignorance of setting up Subs, the most difficult job in HC IMHO. Very few get it right.

4. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Nic.
    Thanks.
    I have just read most of the earlier threads and yep it looks like that is the sub for me.
    Expect some set up questions to follow,when I get around to tracking one down.
    Cheers
    Gary

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The Haunting DTS Es discrete is awesome and I currently don't have the Discrete decoding option on my Tag, expected very soon! Things move around the room, truely spooky, I cann't wait for discrete!

Happy hunting.

6. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garry, let me know how you get on. I have a 15 from RS and it is bloody awesome. Peoples' reaction is usually laughter when they feel the low bass "ripple" through them. It's a serious toy. Only downside is it's a bu##er to position. Maybe that's just my room.

Cheers

7. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi.
    I can not wait to get playing!
    But my house is still not finished so everything is on hold.
    I read that the sub is tricky to postion,where did you end up putting yours?
    Cheers
    Gary

8. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garry,
    I ended up putting it behind the sofa and turning the frequency cut-off right down. It sounded more musical in the middle right of my room but then lacked the "gob-smack" level of putting it behind the sofa.

The whole thing is a case of experimentation and compromise really. The way to do it is put the sub where you will sit (or close to - mine would not fit on the sofa!) and then walk around the room listening where the bass sound loudest (using a test tone or similar). The loudest spot is where you should then put the sub.

I read this, and did it, but it does not allow for two things.

1) wherever you put the thing you have to get cables to it and you have to live with it.
    2) Some spots may be louder but actually cancell out some frequencies.

My sitting room is a rectangle and cut in half by my sofa. With the sub behind my sofa:
    a) Explosions with LF i.e. U571 are awesome. When the first depth charges start going off in the distance you can feel this amazing low freq. "sound". It will shock you!
    b) Used with music it is overbearing. I turn it off for music (I'm a bit of a purist and I love the sound of my mains as they are)
    c) With music there are low freqs in the back of the room you cannot hear in the front of the room. I'm only talking a few paces apart but you can really notice freqs just dissapearing.

If I move the sub to the middle right then music sounds perfect and movie sounds are a bit more subtle but it lacks the shock factor.

It's quite tricky to get right. I intend to have another go soon. Too busy playing with projector at the moment :)

One thing. Mine is running on about 1/4 power :) - I have tried to push it (my neighbours are cool) and I could not get it to distort but it was too much like Notting Hill carnival for me. I could have prob bought a sub with 1/4 the power (the sub is surely too big for my room) but I can't be assed to shop around again for a long while and big=low :)

Cheers

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Finding the right place for a sub in the most difficult thing in HC IMHO. Two subs greatly helps this:D Trial and error I am afraid. In my opinion the lower the sub goes the harder it gets, so with the Servo15......

I am another purist who generally doesn't go for any sub with stero music but films it is a different kettle of fish. Watched Jurassic Park 111 tonight, even the wife commented on how different it would be without the subs!:)

10. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Pots and pans clattered in the kitchen, taps in the bathroom began to drip and a bird at the bottom of the garden fell off his perch.

At this point I’ll admit to a failure. What I would usually do when reviewing a subwoofer like this would be to push it to its limits, noting what material it had problems reproducing and at what levels it ran out of steam. Sorry, I didn’t have the nerve to try this with the Servo-15. At 5dB above THX reference level I decided that I valued my hearing and my home too much. And I didn’t quite relish the idea of seeing my dinner reappear. Awesome.

Stuart M Robinson, Home Cinema Choice, May 1999

I want one!!!:D

Si