Servo 15 & X 30 Set-up

TOM ALLEN

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi here , had to take my HC to bits 'cos of decorating and now I can't recall how the X 30 is wired to my amp (Sony STR DB930) well it has been 3 months:confused: Help , anyone?:lease:

Regards

Tom

Is the X-30 the control box thingy if so you want the sub out or lfe out on the amp going to the lfe in on the X-30 then from the X-30 sub 1 out to the input on the sub.I think thats correct any problems let me know and I will check the back of mine and give a better description mate

Hi AJCASEY, thanks for the reply, yes that's the one; thing is I thought there was better way to wire it up than that.
If memory serves me right it was something like high & low pass, ring any bells?
Anyone out there with a manual that they could send as an attachment to my e-mail address would be brill.:lease:

Regards

Tom

Tom

Don't think the X-30 manual is available as a PDF, so I've scanned my paper copy, and enclose same herewith (in two parts, due to upload file size limit)

hope this helps

Attachments

• Paradigm X-30 Manual (p1-3 Scan).pdf
    243.9 KB · Views: 2,780
  • Paradigm X-30 Manual (p4-6 Scan).pdf
    256.7 KB · Views: 2,807
Hey DONOS, your a STAR! I've been after this for ages; will have fun setting it up and hopefully notice the difference:thumbsup:

Thanks & Regards

Tom

Sorry DONOS, but it's either old age or I've lost the plot. Manual refers to Main In , My Reciever doesn't appear to have them (Sony STDR 930) any ideas and how d'ya have yours wired?:suicide:

Cheers

Tom

Tom

[SCENARIO 1]
I use my X-30 in the simplest fashion, as per scenario 1 of the manual :-
A single cable connecting the AV processor "LFE Out" to the X-30 "Sub In" . . . and a single cable connecting the X-30 "Sub Out" (no.1) to the LFE input of the sub.

[SCENARIOS 2-4]
The other options are only relevant when you are using separate components :-
(a) power amplifier (or receiver, acting as a power amp), and
(b) processor (or pre-amplifier of some sort).
rather than an all-in-one receiver

. . . or . . .

if your processor / receiver does not have a dedicated LFE out channel, but does have an extra low level "preamp" output Left + Right channel.

In the scenario where you are using a separate amp and processor (without the X-30) you would have :-
(A) a pair of interconnect cables linking the "Line Level Outputs" of the preamp / processor to the "Line level inputs" of the amp. (it's these "Line level inputs" that the X-30 manual somewhat confusingly refers to as MAIN-IN)
(B) a pair of speaker cables linking the "High Level Outputs" of the amp to the speakers

To use the X-30 in such a scenario, you basically have to insert the X-30 between the processor and the amp. This is what is described in scenarios 2 and 3 of the X-30 manual :-

[SCENARIO 2]
In Scenario 2, you basically connect the X-30 in parallel with the amp (using a pair of Y-connectors) :-
(1) a pair of Y-connectors splitting the "Line Level Outputs" of the preamp / processor in two directions . . . (2) and (4) below :-
(2) a pair of interconnect cables linking the "Line Level Outputs" of the preamp / processor (via one leg of the Y-connectors) to the "Line level inputs" of the amp.
(3) a pair of speaker cables linking the "High Level Outputs" of the amp to the speakers
(4) a pair of interconnect cables linking the "Line Level Outputs" of the preamp / processor (via the second leg of the Y-connectors) to the left & right channel "low level inputs" of the X-30
(5) a single cable connecting the X-30 "Sub Out" (no.1) to the LFE input of the sub.

Note :- in the above scenario, the full range of frequencies is sent to the speakers, which may not be desirable (they may produce distortion in attempting to play the full range signal)

[SCENARIO 3]
In Scenario 3, you connect the X-30 in series between the preamp (or processor) and the amp :-
(1) a pair of interconnect cables linking the "Line Level Outputs" of the preamp / processor to the left & right channel "low level inputs" of the X-30
(2) a single cable connecting the X-30 "Sub Out" (no.1) to the LFE input of the sub.
(3) a pair of interconnect cables linking one of the three "High Pass Outputs" of the X-30 (which engage one of high pass frequency filters) to the "Line level inputs" of the amp.
(4) a pair of speaker cables linking the "High Level Outputs" of the amp to the speakers

Notes :-
- in the above scenario, the X-30 only forwards low level signals to the sub :- it blocks the lower frequencies from being sent to the speakers, based on which of the X-30's three "High Pass Output" pairs you selected :- with cutoff frequencies of 50Hz, 80Hz or 120Hz.
- the X-30 "High Pass Output" options are still low LEVEL signal outputs :- they are not high level signals (like the speaker output of the amp)

[SCENARIO 4]
The scenario they don't really explain (but imply in both scenarios 2 and 3) is if your receiver is an all-in-one unit which :-
- connects directly to the speakers
- does not have a dedicated LFE output channel
- but does have an extra "Preamp" out pair

In this case you basically complete scenario 3, but ignore the X-30's High Pass output connectors :-
(1) a pair of interconnect cables linking the "Line Level Preamp Outputs" of the receiver to the left & right channel "low level inputs" of the X-30
(2) a single cable connecting the X-30 "Sub Out" (no.1) to the LFE input of the sub.

Note :- again, in the above scenario, the full range of frequencies is sent to the speakers, which may not be desirable (they may produce distortion in attempting to play the full range signal)

HTH

Thanks for that mate, appreciate it, as a matter of interest are you happy with this configuration?

Regards

Tom

Absolutely.

Though in fairness, it's a different setup from you :- I don't have a Paradigm sub :- I have an O'hEocha DSW600 for which I use two separate connections :-

(5.1 A/V) AV Processor --- X30 --- Sub LFE input
(2.1 Audio) CD Preamp --- Sub (dual L+R low-level input)

The reason I needed the X30 was that the sub's internal gain / phase / frequency controls govern the L+R low level input (2.1 channel audio), and I wanted to be able to set the LFE input parameters independently . . . which is where the X-30 comes in.

all the best

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom