Servo 15 Worth\availability ?

I got mine 2 months or so ago from the London bridge branch. Went into various other RS branches and was told the normal crap including Paradigm don't make them any more and that it's old technology etc etc etc.

The guy I spoke to in the LB branch ordered them after I had spoke to him, no bull and I had them 3 days later. The only problem was that I had to pay up front.

The truth is out there, if you can cut through the bull and ignorance :))

£400?? Bloody hell, is that for real?? If so, that's a hell of a deal...

Dunc

Oh, so the new What's Hi-Fi? is out already?

Originally posted by mcmullanbrush
They are advertising the Servo-15 in What HiFi for 399.99.

Aiden (Sheffield store) told me he could definitely have one for me on Thursday. I suspect this will not be the case.

Isn't there some sort of law preventing stores advertising goods they don't have?

Now that is some bargain.. If you want one i would go in and pay for it at that price and then hassle and harry till they get it for you. If they dont then just tell your CC company to send the boys round :cool:

I got a servo15 from richers in edinburgh about two months ago
they ordered it from the warehouse and it was deliverd the
next week. Did not have to pay up front or even leave a deposit
for it. I think its pot luck depending on what store youre dealing
with.

I payed £500 for mine last week...... could i return it under their 30 day thing and then buy it back at £400!?

Ad

Originally posted by buns
I payed £500 for mine last week...... could i return it under their 30 day thing and then buy it back at £400!?

Ad

Hehehe, it'd be worth it just to **** 'em off! :devil:

Dunc

Given they told me NO discounts...... im very tempted..... only thing is they may decide to sell the one i return and leave me waiting another 5 weeks!

Ad

HANG ON EVERYBODY:blush:

A good friend of mine told me the Servo was down to 399.99. I contacted the Sheffield branch and spoke to Aiden, who confirmed the 399 price.

However, when I actually checked What HiFi today, the price was 499.99. I thought it odd that they would further discount a product that was outstripping demand already.

I am now assuming that my friend made a mistake when he typed the price and Aiden at Sheffield wasnt actually listening to what I was saying (not unusual in RS)

I apologise for giving information that seems to have been erronious :(

Well i phoned RS today...to find out, what was going on with these things......
The phone call went a bit like this:

RS: Good morning, Richer Sounds, (What ever his name was) speaking.....how can i help you.
ME: Hi matey....i wonder if you can help me. I ordered a Servo 15 on saturday and just wondered what was happening with it.
RS: Oh yes............We have just managed to strugle up the stairs with it.............It arrived this morning.
ME::eek::) .......OH.....Right....id better come and get it then.
RS: OK...see you soon.

My god its a big bastard.....you cannot carry one of these by yourself.

My report so far, with just a quick setup.........The SPL is down compared to the SVS from 80Hz-50Hz, it is then higher than the SVS from 50Hz-30Hz...it then drops again, just like the SVS.
Useing the Avia disk, it does not seem to have as much SPL as the SVS at the low end, with the freq sweep.
I think it is low from 80-50Hz because it might be haveing some sort of prob with my Main speakers....Although my crossover is set to 80Hz...but i cannot fiddle as the Servo has no fiddleing sticks on the back.....i need one of them X30 things (How much is one of them ganner cost me.....???? and can i order it from RS...??).

I tried a couple of films.......SWTPM (Pod race) seems to be about the same as the SVS.......Toy story 2 (The start) seems to be better with the SVS........Blade 2 (house of pain) there seems to be some more bass, but it lose's it a bit, with the higher bass, because of the low SPL readings I'm getting (i guess ).
TItan AE (the ice field)...defenetly much better than the SVS......The bass made me jump and i could feel my head shaking....its evern better with this film than what my SVS was like at TK's house.
Maybe i have it set to high.....i will try and do some more tests tommorrow, but at the moment, i am well pleased....in fact, i might order another one.

Oh yea....i payed £399.95 for mine.

Originally posted by chris
i cannot fiddle as the Servo has no fiddleing sticks on the back

I have highlighted the above for no other reason than it must be one of the all time great quotes :D

I think that you should keep both subs but move house.

You're right to suspect your main speakers for the dip in the 50-80Hz region - ideally you'd want a phase control to play with since if the sub and mains are out of phase, they're likely to cancel out near the crossover frequency. You need the X-30 for that, though, I believe. :(

Regarding the lower frequencies dropping off - are you taking into account the inaccuracies of your SPL meter? If it's the standard Radio Shack one, then you need to add quite a bit to the rating you get at those low frequencies - as much as 11.5dB at 16Hz! There's an Excel file on the snapbug website that has the corrected values using 1/6 octave test tones.

Cheers,

Dunc

So it is selling for £399.95 then?

I'll have a look at some magazines today.

I wouldn't read too much into the inaccuracies of the Radio Shack meters

I'd consider moving the Servo if it is sitting in the same spot as the SVS was. The way it excites the room modes is completely different.

On a completely unrelated note, my new room has a really live end and really dead end, to the extent that a clap test produces incredible differences standing a mere metre apart. Can't wait to get some speakers in there to try it out :D

Well, it's been a long wait but it has been worth it - not because of the performance (which I haven't been able to assess properly) but because of some good fortune. They don't call me the lucky man for nothing.

What the hell am I on about? I ordered a Servo 15 from Richers back on 4th August and have been having awful trouble actually getting hold of one. The guys in the branch order it then it doesn't turn up so they re-order it and.... it doesn't turn up - and so on. I therefore decided to give their Customer Service bods a call and, to their credit, they sorted it out and promised one would be at the branch for me today - which it was.

So, what's so lucky? Well, I was browsing through the just out copy of What HiFi late yesterday afternoon - came across the Richers ads and checked to see if they are still advertising the Servo 15 - they are but the price has changed - downwards!

:D

Yes - they are now asking a mere £399.95 for this monster which must qualify as bargain of the decade. This is what I paid for it and I got an extra 2 years warranty for £9.99 (and if you don't claim on it you can claim the money back!).

The luck didn't end there - they included the X30 crossover controller unit - they didn't seem sure whether they were supposed to give me that or not but they did - I have a feeling this is supposed to be £100 extra but I wasn't complaining.

:smashin:

I should have known it was my day when the courtesy car I was given (my car is being serviced) was changed from a 316i 3 Series saloon (which the Servo 15 wouldn't fit in) to a Mini One which will just (with about an inch to spare) accomodate a boxed Servo 15!

Anyway, I took it home lunchtime - it looks fine - it's blo*dy big (especially the depth) and briefly fired it up. Very first impression is - this is a beast and is going to need more fine tuning than the HGS15 it replaced. Does it ever move some air though! It seems a lot more sensitive to placement than the HGS - the room was doing all sorts of things and yet I wasn't getting much of a reading on the SPL meter - like I was sitting in a null or something.

I'll post some more thoughts when I've experimented some more but an initial analogy is that the HGS15 is a BMW M3 (which I guess makes the HGS18 a BMW M5) - hugely powerful but very composed and civilised. The Servo 15 is a Sierra Cosworth - raw power, not so civilised, just as much fun but more difficult to control - a bit of a beast really.

Actually with all this good luck, I'm wondering if I should get a lottery ticket for tonight's draw.

:rolleyes:

Matt.

I paid 499 only a week ago and was assured no discount so im well pi**ed off.

Ad

Originally posted by Matt F
I'll post some more thoughts when I've experimented some more but an initial analogy is that the HGS15 is a BMW M3 (which I guess makes the HGS18 a BMW M5) - hugely powerful but very composed and civilised. The Servo 15 is a Sierra Cosworth - raw power, not so civilised, just as much fun but more difficult to control - a bit of a beast really.

Matt.
You've just reminded me why it's never a good idea to make car analogies.
Having owned both two wheel and four wheel drive Sierra Cosworths and driven M3s and M5s there must be an argument in there somewhere.
Personally, control isn't an issue for Cosworths or Servo 15s, especially not compared to propeller badged motors.
I had an X-30 included by accident too, but at £499.
Instead I'll just congratulate you on your fantastic bargain ! :D

Hi Guys , I ordered one last Thursday & was told I should get it today, well, I'm still waiting. The salesperson tells me it should be in next week (should?????) why can't someone install a computer that actually does their stock.I've been on to Customer Services, the guy there tells me he'll sort & get back to me, and won't be holding my breath....nice about the price drop tho', might even call in Friday & pay up front!!
:D :D :D Thank to all the guys who have sent me p.m's covering this very topic, I appreciate it.

REGARDS

Tom Allen

I carryed my 2 Servos up a flight of stairs by myself and was no problem - get another one you wont regret it they will move you in your chair!

Dave

As the Servo-15 is a relatively big sub, is there a minimum room size that is suitable for this size of sub or the output it generates? I have heard opposing opinions on this from different sources so I'm not quite sure what to believe.

My own sense is that it shouldnt matter if the sound is being produced by a 10" cube or a 24" ish sized servo cube, the room will react in a similar manner in both cases. The 10" cube will obviously be easier to move and position in the room so that is one tradeoff against the lower bass frequencies and output from the larger Servo-15.

The room is a 'normal' sized modern living room aprox 11' by 15' so not huge. I have tried searching through the forum but didn't find any kind of definitive answer so I am hoping someone can help here!

Thanks,

GeorgeMA

Okay...

The stores tell people they will order one and it should be here on Thursday. When it doesnt arrive they tell you it will be here the following Thursday. etc etc

Customer Services act surprised at this news and say they will sort it out.

Doesnt this all seem very strange? What is the point of continuing to tell people it will arrive "next Thursday"? Why do the customer services people act surprised when they clearly hear this same complaint on a regular basis? Why reduce the price to 400 when you cant keep up with demand at 500?

If there is anybody on the forums who works at Richer Sounds, please explain these bizarre tactics to us all.

mcmullanbrush - it's probably that ol' sales tactic of "Get the customer into the store by any means necessary"...

So they advertise things they can't sell you, just to get you into the store, with the hope you'll buy something from them anyway.

Originally posted by Dimmy
mcmullanbrush - it's probably that ol' sales tactic of "Get the customer into the store by any means necessary"...

So they advertise things they can't sell you, just to get you into the store, with the hope you'll buy something from them anyway.

Still very odd though. It is not as if they have a serious alternative to the Servo-15 that they can try to sell you instead.

"Sorry Sir, we dont have a Servo-15 subwoofer to sell you, how about a Sherwood amp instead?" :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom