1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Servo 15: sparks flying (I kid you not)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SanPedro, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    The saga of the rattling sub continues...

Rattling Servo 15 was bugging the hell out of me so I decided to take the driver out to see if anything loose (whilst unplugged).

Whilst driver out of cabinet I decided to plug it in to see if I could see anything untoward whilst feeding a signal through it. Turned volume up slowly.

I get to the level where I can hear the rattling noise and look behind the front of the driver where the coil sits.

I can literally see sparks from behind the covering over the coil, where the cone goes in and out (apologies for the non-technical jargon here). It must literally be bouncing off the bump stops. It literally lights up when playing Attack of the Clones intro.

I don't think the volume levels are too high. It's set at -62 on the sub and the receiver volume is at about 80% of its maximum volume level. The front speakers and sub are all set at a level of 0 relative to each other.

I guess this does mean its goosed. At least I think I know that it's the driver itself that's at fault, unless someone can suggest otherwise.

BTW anyone know what a new Driver unit would be? Or can they be repaired.

Chris L

2. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Chris,

Sounds like either the cone is moving too far in it's travel causing
    the noise, or most likeley the voice coil is buggered. (Given that the vol setting aint too high), I'd go for the coil being shagged out(short circuit causing the sparks)

Just how much pain have you given the poor thing to do this to it??

Sorry don't know of any spares/repair for it.

LOL

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    :eek: Does that mean they really can catch fire then.

Sorry to hear that it came to this, Sparks are certainly not something I would have expected.

Is there any sign at all inside the sub of what might have caused it?

As for getting the sub repaired it might be a good idea to bypass RS and email Paradigm direct to see if they have ever heard of this problem. If they do give you a cause then it'll be easier to tell RS what you need to fix it.

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Not much actually. Bought it 2nd hand off the forum. Never ran it higher than the settings mentioned above. Thought these things would be indestructible after all the reviews I'd read.

Will definitely try this. No sign inside the sub as to the cause. Just wads of padding. It has had some cosmetic damage (or so it was claimed). There's a scratch on the side. Maybe it got dropped harder than was let on.

Oh booger!!!

Chris

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm. Was it working OK when you received it? It's possibly it got damaged in transit. Or something else.

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly off topic but relevant, I'm expecting RS to ring me tomorrow (2% probability knowing them) regarding their purchasing dept still getting Paradigm equipment. The store told me they can still get me the Studio rears by import so they can perhaps also get you a replacement driver too if you're lucky. Be warned though, they said it can take up to a month (from my experience that is conservative) :eek:

7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    It sounded ok when I demoed it. It was only when I got back home and turned up the volume a bit more that I noticed the noise. The guy I bought it from had it in a much smaller room so maybe he didn't need the volume setting as high.

I carried it back in my car so I know it was ok during transit.

Cheers. I'll try ringing my local store as well as head office - or wherever their helpline/support number is. Do you know if Paradigm warranties are transferable? RS can probably get date of purchase from the serial number. More questions for them... Just hope it's not too outrageous to fix. I guess if it had been the amp that had gone that would have been more expensive.

Chris

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Running a signal into the driver while it is out of the enclosure can very easily lead to over excusion and damage....even at low to moderate wattage levels. The excursion of the driver relative to the input wattage tends to be dictated by the enclosure. In other words....10 watts into the driver while it is in the enclousre might give you 10mm each way. With the driver sitting on the floor...it might give you 20mm each way.

Tom V.
    SVS

9. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hope you get it sorted Chris!

Old "Harold" will be turning in his grave now:eek:

Adz

10. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Take your point Tom, but the noise and excursion of the driver was the same either in or out of the cabinet. It made exactly the same noise in both cases. Only when out of the cabinet could I see the sparks fly.

Chris

11. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True to form RS did not ring me today, I'm reeling from that new experience :rolleyes:

12. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,
    For what it may be worth (not a lot) RS have in store engineers in some of their stores. I only found this out today as one of my servo 15's stopped working and the local branch to me (Romford) have a resident engineer and he fixed it in 10 mins. I even got to see his workshop as I was sceptical that they had an "engineer", but they did. Anyway he informed me that certain stores had these instore engineers as a trial. He mentioned that Liverpool may be one.

Try phoning the RS help line to get numbers of stores with this servie, with luck you may be able to speak to one near you for advice.

The guy I spoke to at Romford (Chris (engineer) was very helpful), you could be cheeky and phone him, tell him John Carter recommended you !!!!.

Good luck
    John

13. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Thanks for the tip John. My nearest branches would be either of the Manchester stores, but Liverpool might be an option if they have an onsite engineer.

Do you think a new driver is gonna be expensive?

I hope the replacement prices are inline with UK purchase prices and not US!!! :eek:

Cheers

Chris

14. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,
    Don't know about spare prices but one thing that did suprise me was that the engineer said that getting spares from Paradigm was a long drawn out process. He mentioned that one set of spares was overdue by over a year!!!!

Regards
    John

15. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well my replacement PC+ driver should have cost $275... just to give you an idea of what you might be looking at :eek:

16. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were RS I'd get Paradigm to send a driver out asap to the nearest store to Chris and have them fit it, shouldn't take more than 2 weeks. But I'm not RS as I actually have a tongue and ears :laugh:

17. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Out of interest, what does the noise sound like? Is it quite a loud "clacky" type sound?

While I was finding and getting rid of a rattling picture yesterday, I had my Servo-15 up quite loud (-8dB, other channels muted) on the Blade club scene. I noticed a clicky/rattling type noise coming from the Servo-15, I was unable to localise it exactly other than it definitely seemed to be coming from the sub.
    It didn't sound like the driver bottoming out, and it didn't seem to be related to excursion since once the sound started happening it continued for a short while when the volume was reduced. The cone itself didn't seem to be moving more than a few mm either way which also suggests something other than bottoming out. Could it be related to the voice coil heating up?

18. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    nah, my noise only happens on certain films at certain volumes. Most of the time it sounds great, but certain movie scenes send it to the point of despair. I can definitely tell the sound is coming from the driver. Like i said I took the driver out and you could easily tell the sound was coming from the driver.

regards

Chris L

19. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paradigm have two revision of the Servo15.

The first is the Servo15 and the most recent revision is just marked with "Servo15a" on the rear panel.

The difference between the two is a reworked driver with 1" movement in each direction (2" in all) on the 'a' version, maybe the first version was prone to this driver destruction.

20. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if im not greatly mistaken, there are 3 versions

ad

21. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heheh nothing like product evolution.

No matter whether there's been 2 or 3 revisions, fact is one revision had the driver reworked, which suggested that it was prone to destruction in certain circumstances. Maybe the couple of people who are having these problems are using older revisions of the Servo15 or maybe they are just deaf and play the sub far too loud.

Oh by the way I've gone and bought and another Servo15 again after a brief and disappointing spell with a Rel Storm III, didn't really need to tell anyone that but it affirms in my mind the Servo15's market dominance for value vs. room destruction.

22. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Where did you find this second Servo, Shinobiwan..?

Dunc

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Looking back exactly two weeks to your first post here, I have quoted part of it below :-

Could you enlighten us as to why the complete change of heart within the space of 14 days and what we are supposed to read into any future posts that you make recommending something that you have bought.

24. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bang to rights.....

:laugh:

25. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The simple fact of the matter is nobody can trust my judgements passed on products, not even myself :devil: :zonked: :)

Seriously though the Storm was a big let down in the end. Performance was good an all but it died after only a week. Pretty disheartening after £900, so it was returned for a refund.

I've had £900 sitting around waiting for something better to come along and I had the opportunity to buy an ex-demo Servo15 for £350, its a bit of a no-brainer this one. Took it home and setup but tried not to do it the way I did with my old one before the Storm. I've made some lengthy reasearch on these forums on how others have setup there subs and this time I have the Servo15 right in front of my listening position almost in the center of the room, well away from any room boudaries and the centeralised position helps the sub in stereo listening.
    After doing this the servo isn't causing much overhang at all now as it was when placed near the wall with my first one. Its extension is still good though not very good like it was when placed near the wall but I can live with this compromise if it means I can get rid of the boom.

IanJ:
    There's no harm in swapping and changing products and if you bothered to read the post further after the 'glowing' praise on the Storm you would have had all the facts and wouldn't need to be asking "Why the change of heart?" Frankly £900 is expensive for something like the Storm III with products like the Servo15 around at £400, is the Storm twice as good since its twice as expensive, hell no. Its marginally better for stereo listening and with the Servo setup up well away from room boundaries its too close to call.

Hifi is like women, some people have different tastes, one can be ugly to one and beautiful to the other and then there's the ones that everybody agrees is fine.

26. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Can anyone else smell a nasty whiff?

Steven.

27. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Sorry, that was me.

28. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your the only one sat in the room typing on the computer, it must be your breath.

29. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I have noted with some amusement your "advice" on the "How Good Are These Speakers?" thread..
    In one week going from a strict advocate and "keen observer" of spec sheets to a "shouldn't take to much notice of specs" stance.

Road to Damascus?
    Or not.

Some of us are not empty-headed lemmings who believe anything we are told (or read, - and DO know better), especially by self-contradicting "Industry Experts" - bad breath or no bad breath.

Steven

30. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    It is something of a relief to me to know that the unwitting general public is in such safe hands when handing over their hundreds/thousands of pounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.