Servo 15 Problem

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Angel Dust, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Angel Dust

Angel Dust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone, i've been a visitor to these forums for quite a while now and have finally gotten round to registering as my servo 15 is playing up.

The other night i was listening to a Tool CD and had the X30 set at about quarter to twelve when and i would occasionally hear a knocking sound like someone tapping on my door but after watching the sub whilst the music is playing its definitely coming from the sub.
    The cone seemes to slip every so often like it cant keep up with the music and then knocks.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed easily or not? i think its still under warranty from RS but they dont sell them anymore do they?

cheers,
    shaun

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Welcome aboard :)

It sounds like the cone is "bottoming". You are driving it too hard. It can't manage the extreme excursions it would have to make to reproduce the sound at the level and frequency you're asking of it. This will probably damage the speaker (drive unit) and should always be avoided.

If the sub isn't in a corner already you could try moving it into one.
    If the sub is already in a corner distant from you. Then try putting it near your seat and preferably in a corner as well.

The idea of these suggestions is to get the sub to sound louder for the same input. This will avoid pushing it to such extremes.

If you dont have an SPL meter then it would be a good idea to get one so you can calibrate the sub properly with your speakers.

Meanwhile you can calibrate it on ordinary pop music by setting the sub volume to sound balanced with your main speakers. Without excessive bass.

If the bottoming problem is recent you could try tightening all the screws. Something may have worked loose and be causing a leak. Check the tightness of the drive unit, plate amp and anything else visibly screwed on. There's no need to overdo it. Just check carefully that all screws are tight.

Nimby

3. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Also check your x30 crossover setting, if it's set too low you will be turning the volume up to increase bass that has been cutoff by the crossover.

4. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like the Servo potentiometer and/or associated electronics.

I remember a very similar post on avsforum some time ago and the guy had to have the sub in for repair.

5. Angel Dust

Angel Dust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the suggestions guys but i think i'm going to have to get in touch with richersounds and see about it getting repaired (not even two years old so still under warranty from Paradigm).
    reason is i was trying out some of the suggestions here and also tried hooking it all up again, set the sub lvl control halfway on the actual sub, x-over set at about 45-50hz and lvl on the x-30 only at a quarter and during some electric six it just freaked out and now when i turn it on, even with no input it just makes a constant rumbling sound. :thumbsdow

anyone able to explain what has actually happened or has the driver just given up?

cheers,
    shaun