servo -15 placement advice

mcmullanbrush

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hello

I bought a Paradigm Servo -15 subwoofer because it was on offer at a good price.
When i got it home my wife was a tad upset at the prospect of it being in our living room. She will only allow me to have it at the side of the settee which is the main viewing position.
I understand that this is less than ideal, however i was wondering whether i should face it into the settee, into the side wall opposite, towards the wall at the back of the room or towards the front where it would point directly into the amp and dvd.

grateful for any advice

Nic Rhodes is the servo expert and he will probably tell you not only the optimum placement but advise you to buy another.

After all, your wife is already upset so it's best to buy it's mate now and not when she has recovered and will be upset all over again.:)

Sound advice Ian

Only trouble is i havent told her yet that I ordered a projector and intend to attach an 8ft by 4ft piece of MDF permanently to the wall to act as a screen.

I was thinking, as I am now in my mid thirties maybe I wont be needing the wife for much longer

Originally posted by mcmullanbrush
I was thinking, as I am now in my mid thirties maybe I wont be needing the wife for much longer

Good idea, I upgraded mine at that age for a more amenable model.

Actually - yes but it proved to be faulty so was upgraded again

mcmullanbrush,
My Servo 15 is placed in the cellar beneath my main listening room, with a smaller Paradigm sub for rear channels.
Wooden floor allows the sub-bass through, in fact having tried the Paradigms in the room itself, I actually prefer this set-up.
This will be met with derision, I am prepared to be mocked mercilessly.
With regard to your not needing a wife @31, I am 41 and would advise caution, mine is still providing pleasure and I don't feel the need to change.
If tempted by newer, more lightweight designs, bare in mind whilst they may look more attractive, they are prone to being less dependable in long term service. As always, do demo properly before committing.

Originally posted by gringottsdirect
As always, do demo properly before committing.

Preferably a side by side demo with other models

Ian J,
Ideal...brilliant when possible!
Often problematic to achieve in practice, still, I'm in complete agreement, best way to decide.
As an alternative, spending time at home with an individual model can be helpful too.

I suppose i could keep the wife in the cellar and the servo-15 next to me on the sofa.
Unfortunately i also have a wooden floor so the sub-bass sounds of her may get through

Guys.
I am in need of a little help.
I have found a Servo 15 for sale,at last.But in comes with nothing else,no leads etc no x-30.
The people selling it say it will not work because the power supply is missing.Do they mean the X-30?
The X-30 is not needed is it? Or are are they talking about something else?
Your help would be very much appriecated!!
Thanks
Gary

Gary
I am sure the x-30 is not needed, but I havent tried it without. I can give it a go tomorrow to see.
I dont know if it could be something else that has failed i am not really an expert

cheers

ps maybe they just mean the mains lead??

i use mine without the x-30 just use phono lfe in. if it doesn't work like this there is definitely something wrong with it. beware.

Thanks for the help.
Does the mains lead plug in to the sub its self?
So there is nothing else that could be missing then?
Cheers
Gary

Gary

Yes the mains lead plugs into the sub.
Mine came with:

the sub
the x-30
a mains lead for the x -30
the mains lead for the sub ( a kettle lead)
a 5mtr phono to phono lead
and a 1mtr phono to phono lead
the instructions

i can easily copy the instructions for you if you want.

keep me posted

Hi mcmullenbrush, congtatulations on your purchase can you tell me where you bought it from and do they have any more ive been trying to get one for a while,
Thanks,John.

Hello John
I got it from Richer Sounds in Sheffield, I was told it was their ex demo unit ( it had no box and some slight scratches on the top)
It could have been a second hand model. They gave me a full guarrantee and let me have it for 450.00.
They dont have any more.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom