1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Servo 15 owners - your help needed on placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SanPedro, Jul 14, 2003.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Just got hold of one of these beasties. Just wondering about people's experience with placement, sound levels, set-up etc.

At the moment Its under the screen between the front speakers. The room size is 22 x 13'. Would it be ok to place the centre speaker on top of the sub, or would this be likely to cause unwanted complications with the sound.

I figured it might save some time shoving the damn thing around the room if anyone has any suggestions. This really is a big box!!

Cheers

Chris

2. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

Sorry I can't help you with placement, but could I ask where you got your Servo from? My local RS p*ssed me around when I tried to order one.

Thanks in advance

SMP

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Can't be much help Spidey. I just bought it at the weekend from another forum member who's selling up and moving to the States. It was advertised on the sales pages. Couldn't believe my luck. I've had your experience of Richer Sounds - their sales enquiry line is a joke. Can't they have an automated website linked to their stock monitoring system? Can't be too difficult.

Chris

4. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I have 2 servo's and are placed either side of the front centre
    speaker under the screen which is fine and was set up using an spl meter. I wouldn't place the centre on top of the sub as it might mess the centre sound a bit but give it a go you might be happy with it, I read somewhere that if you place the sub where you sit (move chair) play some low bass through the sub then crawl around the room and when you find the loudest spot thats where the sub should go, but in the real world this isn't always possible with furniture and other speakers in the way, dont put the cabinet right against the wall as the heatsink at the back can get hot and should have a little space around it. Have fun.

Dave

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Good grief Dave are your intestine's still in one piece;)

Is it a big room then?

Thanks for the tips anyway. I think one will do for me just fine.

Chris

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    ABSOLUTELY NOT :nono:

7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Ok. Just out of curiosity though... why? :confused:

Chris

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Speakers are mechanical devices. They have moving parts. The quality of sound that a speaker generates is dependent on its ability to accurately move the speaker cone(s) in and out. This is done by varying the strength of magnetic push-and-pull on the speaker cone and thereby pushing the cone to and fro against what are effectively damped springs. (Yes, I know it's a lot more complex than that in practice).

If you shake the speaker then you will introduce all sorts of stray vibrations into the cone that have nothing to do with the signal and thereby distort the sound that is coming out.

This is why, for example, using a very heavy speaker stand, or filling a stand with sand or lead shot, can improve the sound of the speaker - it makes it harder for vibrations to be transmitted from the floor to the speaker cone. Sitting one speaker directly on top of the cabinet of another one, especially one where the cone movements are as large as they are in a subwoofer, will mean that the upper speaker is constantly being shaken, which is the last thing you want for good sound.

9. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Thanks for the advice Nicolas.

Chris