1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Servo 15 owner: setting up assistance needed plz.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by shyboy, Nov 10, 2002.

1. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

This is the story so far:
    After much reading up, I decided to go for a single (for now :)) Paradigm Servo 15 from RS.
    It arrived the other day with an X30 (did not order this) for £500. Like others have reported here, the power cable was missing. Not a problem as I have many.
    Another thing I noticed is that the on/off switch at the back was the wrong way round. I.e. it needs to be OFF for it to work. Could this be a repaired Sub? Would you get a replacement if you were in my position?

The rest of my setup is as follows:
    Sony STR-D940
    Fronts: Mission 773e - 50Hz-20kHz +/3dB (-6dB at 38Hz)
    Rears: Mission 77DS - 100Hz-20kHz +/-3dB (-6dB at 88Hz);
    Centre: Mission 77c1 - 75Hz-20kHz (-6dB at 65Hz);

On my str-db940, I set all the speakers to small and the crossover at 90Hz (the choices are 180,120,90 and 60). Is this a good starting point?

The room is quite 'open plan' as you can see from the pic I included. u can see the sub next to the sofa right at the back pointing into 'open space'; i might try it in the opposite direction tomorrow.

Up to now I have not connected the X30. Im having enough of a learning curve as it is so ill try that when im a bit braver. With the Servo on, everything sounds better, but its just not as I expected it to be. I find it hard to explain but suffice to say that the servo's volume knob needs to be at least half way up before it’s noticeable. With the servo at full volume and the Sony amp at the 8 or 9 o’clock position (i.e. 1/4 of the way up) everything is very loud but again, not as I would have expected it (no rattling of windows, or things falling off the walls ;))
    Don’t get me wrong. I don’t want the thing to shake my house, but im worried that as it does not, there might be something wrong with it (keeping in mind the dodgy on/off switch I mentioned earlier)
    Maybe I need to buy one of those Avia (as?) cds to assist in setting this up properly?

I would like any advice or comments on the above to help me get the best out of this sub.

Thanks for reading,
    ShyBoy

Attached Files:

2. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Here is a closer pic of the room. mods please remove if this is a bit cheeky. Note the positioning of the sub, right next to the right speaker. As you can see, im a bit limited in options regarding positioning. :(

Attached Files:

3. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I though my room layout was bad :eek:

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,739
    Shyboy, tis a difficult one as all living rooms are different.

My living room is completely different, I have a Servo 15 tucked away in one corner, the volume control on the sub is below half way and even at low-mid volumes, I still feel bass running through me.....you should never have to have it running at full volume! In my room its too powerful at even half volume.

Play around with different positions mate, then let us know how you get on:D

5. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If the wife sees this, shell a've you!!! :D

Well, this is what’s worrying me. I’m starting to suspect that I have a faulty Sub (or maybe they changed the amp inside it with a less powerful one?). When the dial is 1/3 way up on the sub, and the Amp is on a reasonably loud setting, I can hardly tell the sub is on. I know that’s its not meant to be obtrusive, but I would have thought that at 1/3 I should at least be able to hear it.

I think i am going to call RS tomorrow and arrange a replacement. Its the only way to be sure i s'pose.

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,739
    move it around the room first....see if you notice a difference...

7. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the X30 a phase switch..?

If so, try hooking that up and switching it over..

8. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    lol... whats a phase switch?

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have you tried to increase the sub level from the amplifier as that may be set too low

10. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a device that switches the phase.. :D

From my REL manual..

:confused:

:D

11. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok, i called RS and they are going to change the unit. I will also purchase a sound meter to see if that helps in my quest for improved sound.

12. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a couple of points, try connecting through the x-30 and change the phase-it can make a lot of difference, set the f/speakers to cross over at about 50hz. the switch on the back of the servo is an on/auto/off three way switch, paradigm reccomend having the subs vol. at halfway-Iuse this setting and then adjust from the amp. Don't expect to get your sub. setup right in minutes-think weeks for someyhing like perfection:) and don't forget-a sub needs running in just like a speaker.

13. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you mean from the amp? if so the lowest setting i have is 60.
    Yep, only mine is the wrong way round. i have to have it on off if i want it always on.

Thanks for your help mate.

14. Steve Thornes

Steve Thornes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How surprising.
    Been there done it, got the T shirt along with loads of other people. Mine nearly started a fire. I will never buy anything with the word Paradigm on it. Richer Sounds has also lost me as a customer forever.

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It may help you set up your other speakers but i don't think it will help you with the sub. I have never had any success setting subs up with an SPL meter.

16. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd hang onto your x30, just in case you don't get one with the replacement sub.

17. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    lol... might get another one! mebe start a collection. :D

18. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a Paradigm Servo 15, and used to have a Sony STR-DB940.
    Ian J's post regarding LFE setting in amplifier menu is my guess as to the problem, also has the correct sub-woofer output socket on amplifier rear panel been used?
    I don't use my X-30 , with it or without, your Servo 15 is likely to bounce ornaments around the room when working as it should.
    If it isn't a set-up issue, it definitely sounds like a faulty re-pack with the other points you mention.
    Better luck next time.

19. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you remember what was yours set on? I know it wont be the same, i just want a rough comparison. mine is set on +3db

I believe so. on the back of the db940, there are two sub sockets. I used the top one.

Will find out on Wednesday. Thanks very much for your input.

20. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

+ 3db is plenty. :)

21. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Have you tried the subwoofer level and lfe level on the 940? I've got my speakers set to small, front and rear floorstanders crossing at 60hz and the centre at 90hx, subwoofer +8 and lfe mix to -3. The volume dial on the sub is -56

I arrived at these figures by using information about setting up a sub from here :- http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm and downloading the sine waves and playing them back and recording the values in the excel spreadsheet. I only adjusted the values on the amp not the sub. When I had found the best compromise of sub and lfe level, I then used an action sequence from a film to adjust the volume on the sub itself.

I dont pretend to know what I've adjusted and why it works (you can turn the level on the amp down and it increase the volume at some frequencies but it decrease it at other frequencies, hence the compromise comment:confused: Same as I could increase the lfe level and it decrease the volume at some frequencys but increase it at others). Final result though is that I'm well chuffed with the result.:D

EDIT

posted at the same time as above comments.

22. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you thought the sub output on the amp might be faulty.. ?

:eek:

23. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a simple way to check your sub. Connect one channel (left or right) analogue output of your DVD/CD player directly to your Servo 15. Start with the volume on the Servo 15 turned down and slowly increase the volume whilst playing a CD, you shouldn't need to turn it far to find out whether it's working ok or not.

24. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, everyone here is welcome to kick me up my ar$e if they want but hey... here goes.

after reading some movie recommendations on this forum to test the sub, I put The Matrix in last night with the sub volume set to well under half and the Amp's volume on +1db and all I can say is WOW!!!!

I at last understand what everyone is on about! the scene in the building shook the plant on the other side of the room. Don't ask me why I have not heard this till now, but I certainly did last night.
    It was so loud at some points that I had to turn the volume down on the amp due to neighbours. I am still getting a replacement tomorrow due to the switch being the wrong way round but im deff sticking with the Servo 15.

I think I sort of expected the sub to be pumping all the time whereas it only does so when needed. And you can sure tell when its kicking in! I also put episode 1 in and went straight for the race scene and again WOW! im off home to go play with this a bit more, just wish Spidy will arrive already.

25. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, are you going to flog me your x30 now then?:D

26. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i just want to test it with the X30 connected over the weekend then its yours if we agree on a price. (45 is a bit low mate, for that , i rather keep it)

27. shyboy

shyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    £70 and ill pay postage?... ok ok ... £65 But i want to see if this phase thing makes a diff, in which case ill keep it. :(

28. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like we've agreed on £60 including postage then? and why don't you rip my arm off and smack me over the head with it while you're at it:D