Servo 15 - not firing on full cylinders ?!?!?

Nunoc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently got a Servo 15 - about 3 months ago.
I got a Yamaha AZ2. I'm running two QED 4S to the X-30 controller. I'm also using a QED SR-SUB cable to the Servo.

Initially I was totally blown away by the monster. In fact I thought it was too powerfull. I couldn't put it past 30-40% without causing serious vibrations in the room.

Played several scenes over and over to family and friends so I got to know the feel of them.
Just recently noticed that I have to turn it up past 50% to really feel the impact and even then there is a lack of slam.

The low frequencies are still there. The couch stills moves and you feel it but it's not the same. Take SW-EP2 the asteriod scene. When Obiwan arrives there used to be this big slam in the room. It's gone now and I've had some friends confirm it as I thought it was just me.

I've heard and read on this forum that a sub does blend in after a while but this is almost too much.

Just wanted to know if anyone has gone through the same thing. Could also do with some suggestions please.
Thanks guys.

Originally posted by Nunoc
I've heard and read on this forum that a sub does blend in after a while but this is almost too much.

I don't recall reading that, apart from the normal running in process of any speaker.

I'm not very technical so I'll leave those aspects to someone else to help you with but in the meantime have you made any significant changes in your room like filling it up with soft furnishings or heavy floorlength curtains or anything like that ?

No Ian,

Haven't changed a thing. Not so much as a scatter cushion. It's the strangest thing. Highly frustating. Could it maybe be the cables ?? Lots of talk of how cables 'mature' with usage but they suppose to sound better and not worse.

AHHHHHH !!!!!! :suicide:

With a test tone check for enclosure leakage (air escaping, typically around amp plate, driver etc) this will great reduce driver/ enclosure efficiency.

regards

Steven

Nothing. :(

Played test tones till my head felt like it might explode and can't find any air escaping. Used some toilet paper to try and see if it moved but only got massive vibrations from being so close to the sub. Amp only plays tones down to 35hz. Tried from 35 to 90hz.
As you guys know the Yamaha x-over is fixed at 90hz.

Maybe should try to play it under water.... That should identify any leaks... :rolleyes:

Anyone else had anything like this with the Servo or any other sub ???

Going to mail Paradigm and see if they have any ideas.

Is is possible that the Servo system could be slightly faulty. In that it still plays the low frequencies but is unable to move properly within certain frequencies ????

I've got it turn to max at the back of the sub and currently about 50% on the x-30. It used to be more than enough at about 35% of max on the x-30.

Please forward any ideas or suggestions. Thanks

Originally posted by Nunoc
I've got it turn to max at the back of the sub and currently about 50% on the x-30. It used to be more than enough at about 35% of max on the x-30.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

it sounds like you must listen loud!!

I doubt it is a leak..... if it is as noticeable as you say then you'd need a biiiig hole! :D

You havent mentioned the sub level settings on the yamaha (well maybe i didnt read well!). Are they the same as they used to be?

How does the x30 function..... is it mechanical switching or electrical? In either case it is possible that something has slipped and you arent actually listening at the same level as previously.

ad

Check your SW level setting on the recievier is it turned down?

LOL

I had something like this a couple of years ago with a Paradigm PS1000.

All the bass had gone and I spent days trying to figure out what was wrong. In the end it turned out that my brother had been messing with the AV amp and had turned the bass attenuation down to something like -6dB instead of around +3dB.

I could have cried when I figured out what it was and strangled him!

My Marantz amp has a 'night' setting, which turns the bass right down. Could be you've enabled it by mistake?

Chris

Hi Guys,

Being busy with work last couple of days.

Checked the dynamic range and checked the DB settings. Will go through them again since I maybe have been looking at the problem to long.

Not sure about the x-30 mech vs elec.

Going to run a test as well now that I think about that. Will bypass the x-30 and see if that makes any difference.

Maybe stepping away from it for a few days will open my eyes to something that has been in front of me all this time.

I'll let you guys know.

Thanks for the all the help/suggestions.

Nothing.

I've bypassed the X-30 and check all settings again. Everything is exactly as it was.

Not sure what to do now. Thinking about asking the retailer if I can 'demo' a second servo 15 and see it there is any difference.

Thanks all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom