1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Servo 15 and Meridian 568 incompatibility? - help please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Operandi, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've just bought a Paradigm Servo 15 but there seems to be a baffling problem with its volume when connected to my Meridian 568 Series 1 processor.

To get any sort of volume from the sub I've had to boost the output on the 568 to +6db and then the volume control on the sub to about the 50% mark. When I had my old M&K VX100 sub the 568 sub output was set to -12db.

This is not due to room acoustics as the speaker cone is hardly moving at 568 settings of 0db or below and is not the lead between the 568 and the Servo as I've tried three different leads.

I can't find the tech specs for the Servo but the 568 outputs between 0 and 3.5V RMS at 47 Ohm impedance which sounds pretty standard.

What output there is sounds great from the Servo so I'm keen to get this sorted - any thoughts/ideas are very welcome.

Thanks

2. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Why not turn up the sub gain/volume control up beyond 50%?

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    Chris could probably do that, but that doesn't sound right when at 25% in my room it's shaking the walls. (admitedly all rooms are different but you can tell alot from cone movement).

I heard the Servo when Chris first plugged it in, and whilst it was working, the output didn't match the settings on either the processor or the back of the sub. It really is weird, but I can't imagine for one second that it's down to incompatibility...or at least I've never heard of that.

4. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Matt says there must be something wrong somewhere as this is the quietest sub I've ever heard and I'm sure that's not right!

The 568 was working very well with my old VX100 only six weeks ago so its unlikely to be a fault in the processor.

Does anybody know the specs for the Servo's low level input?

5. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Chris,

I assume you have see the specs at http://www.paradigm.com.

I'm sure you've probably done this already, but just in case....

Check your speaker set up in the 568 and ensure that the sub is set to to mono, narrow, analogue and max, with max spl of 120dB. Also check that phase is positive. You may need to re-type the the 568 once you have checked all your settings in the 568.

FYI, I'm running a 568.1 with a MJ Acoustics Ref 150 and have the volume on the sub set to about 25% with a gain of 0 on the 568. Basically the same as you used to have with your VX100.

I assume that you are setting up the sub using a meter - correct? What happens if you run the 568 calibration test with just the sub on? At what sub level do you get 75 dB on the meter? Finally what crossover settings do you have?

6. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    I'd also lower the sub's volume before changing any of the above, you don't want it on 3/4 volume when all of a sudden it starts kicking at reference:)

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I found this with my servo......
    When i first got it (brand new from the box).
    I set the sub on 1/4 (what ever that setting is) and the amp/reciver (Denon 3803 ) on -6db = 75db +/- 5db( it was wavering a bit and 75 looked about the average) on the SPL meter.
    After about a month of running it in, it did not really have any effect, that it had when i first installed it........re- calerbrated and had to put the setting on the amp to +1db.
    Did not change position or any speakers...it just seemed to die down once run in.
    Its having a bit of a holiday at the moment, as i ordered another SVS 20-39 and found there was no where to put the X-Mass tree(Had to remove the servo to fit tree in room)....so will see after Crimbo what setting i have to have it on, once i bring it back down.

Is yours a version 1 or 2.........???
    Maybe the version 2 does lose some of its Omph after being run in.

8. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    It's a version 2, and no they don't imho lose their omph.

9. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Mine did.....thats why i brought another 20-39 (to help it along)..........:blush:

10. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks, everyone, for the thoughts so far.

I have checked the specs on the Paradigm site, but unfortunately they do not state the line level input sensitivites and impedance.

I have set up my 568 exactly like this via the Windows GUI but I still get virtually no output unless I set the 568 gain to +6db which is way different to both my VX100 and your MJA sub, and can't possibly be right.

Yep - I use an analogue SPL meter. I'll post the sub settings needed to achieve 75db later on. I've actually set the crossover to 50Hz as my Mackie 626 fronts are calibrated and certified flat to 40Hz and my Mackie 624 rears are flat to 50Hz. I have also tried 80Hz and 60Hz crossover settings, but still get little gain from the sub :(

11. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but have you tried your sub with another processor? Perhaps you can borrow one or take the sub round a friends house (I know the sub is quite large and heavy, but this may at least prove whether there is a problem with the Meridian or if its the sub). Could save you a lot of time.

12. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I use a Servo with a Yamaha A2 and have the Sub volume at 50% and the amp at -12. My old sub was a Rel storm which I also set to 50% and -10 on the amp. At a given volume I get less noise from the servo but it is much cleaner and deeper.