Servicing Subwoofer after less than 7 days after purchase?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by byron_hinson, Jan 10, 2012.

1. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Bought a set of Tannoy HTS-101 speakers and subwoofer from Peter Tyson last week and although the sales service was excellent over the phone I've felt a bit uneasy since (hopefully unfounded).

After setting up the system I noticed a constant hum from the sub and it wouldn't go away unless it was switched off (even without RCA lead in it and in all plug sockets in the house).

When contacting them just 2 days after receiving the goods I was told that when they receive the sub back they will try it out and see if they can notice the problem, if so they said they will either service it or replace it. Maybe I'm wrong here but for something that is less than 7 days old, I should be expecting a straight replacement anyway shouldn't i?

Sorry to ask but just wary as not bought something so expensive online for a while.

2. Stu V

Stu V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Might be better off asking in the subwoofer forum.

However, the sub may not be faulty you may have a ground loop.

Here and here

3. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +971
    You have a cancellation period of 7 days under the Distance Selling Regulations, and you also have a right to 'reject' faulty goods under the SOGA. If it is faulty you could return the whole lot for refund. In this case I wouldn't accept a repaired item, I'd like a replacement or I'd send it all back and buy elsewhere.

But, in my experience anyway, Peter Tyson have pretty good service, so I'm sure it'll all get sorted out to your satisfaction. Hope so!

4. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Yeah I'm not an expert and don't understand it all but even without the RCA cable connected and with the sub plugged in anywhere in the house with main AV equipment off (cable TV etc) it still hummed!

5. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Good to know about their service. Guess I'll just wait and see their verdict.

6. Stu V

Stu V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    It was just a thought. I've never had a problem with subwoofer hum so I've never researched it. I'm sure Tyson's will sort it out, I've used them before and their service has always been good.

7. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Yeah thanks Stu - I had heard good things about Peter Tyson too, probably just reading into their automated e-mail stuff too much!

8. IAN P

IAN P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,042
    You certainly don't want a repair after just 7 days. Replace or refund are the only options. IMHO.

9. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,129
    If it's humming without the RCA lead connected, and given that the unit will likely be double insulated and just use a live and neutral and not an earth,

(is the rear plate on the sub like this? The double square is double insulated)

[​IMG]

then I'd say it's a faulty amplifier and you need a new replacement, not a repair.

10. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Yeah that is identical to the one I have returned!

11. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Just an update if anyone cares. Peter Tyson received it back on Wednesday and I haven't heard anything since, which means I won't hear anything again until at least Monday.

Thankfully Peter Tyson's site state they offer a 14 day return policy and it looks like I'll be taking it up as unless they are over come with returns to test out I can't see why it has taken so long to check if a sub has a hum.

Maybe I'm just picky, but after only having it for 1 day and now a week and a bit later I'm still without what I paid £350 for and I don't think its good enough when all they had to do was send out a replacement. If I had bought it on the high street they wouldn't be "servicing" it thats for sure.

12. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Final update - They called me today to tell me that there was nothing wrong (in their opinion) with the subwoofer. They said the hum was in acceptable levels - which to me would mean silent when not in use. So I'm returning it, sadly their returns policy means I have to not only pay to return it, but had to pay their costs for the collection of the subwoofer that they say is not faulty.

I'd never buy from Peter Tyson again thats for sure. Great service until they take your money.

13. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    How loud was the hum? From what distance could you hear it?

14. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I could hear it about 2/3 meters away. It was a low hum, but annoying. I've had a number of subs before which had never had the problem and I'm certainly not someone who moans for the sake of it which made their call today even more annoying.

15. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    yeah I would say that was unacceptable. What kind of hum is it, electronic or physical? Is the backplate feel like PSU is 50hz vibration and transmitting it to the back plate? Had that with CD player

16. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,178
    I would take a look at BK subs instead. You will get more sub for your money anyway and they have a good customer service rep.

I wouldnt be so hard on PeterTyson though, some subs simply do just hum a little and it might not actually be their fault. I dont think the double return charge sounds right though, its common to have to pay the return carriage when returning an item you dont want, but to pay an additional charge doesnt sound right to me as your simply returning an item within the return period allowed, and doing so with what you feel is an unacceptable product.

17. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    To me seemed electrical like a transformer inside. Whenever the sub was on green on/auto it did it. When it was red and off. Silent.

18. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +971
    I don't think a hum that you can hear 3 metres away should be classed as normal. It's not really fair that the retailer can decide what's 'normal'. I'd make an enquiry about this to Consmer Advice, and I'd also email Tannoy to say what they say.

That said, if the item wasn't faulty then there will be 2 lots of carriage to be paid, so I can see why they're looking for that. But you'd think they'd come and go a bit in the interests of customer service.

Can you not pop into a shop that stocks this package to hear if others are the same?

19. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    My cheapo Yamaha doesn't hum either. Neither do either of my SVS's, or the Rel's myself or mate have owned. Only hum is audible about head about 1' max far from the backplate.

20. jumborat

jumborat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I own the same set of speakers and can confirm that there's no hum from sub, not even close up. It's a shame as they're great sounding speakers for the money.

It certainly seems like poor customer service you're receiving.

21. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Hi

Definitely get this returned on the basis of not fit for purpose, and get them to agree to cover the costs of the return and a full refund.

"They said the hum was in acceptable levels" - so they admit there is a "hum" which is a start!

I would call, ask to speak to someone who is a manager, explain clearly and calmly the problem, agree a solution (refund/up grade/replacement). If this does not solve the problem, then I suggest you put it in writing to them, give them 1 week to resolve or you will go to Trading Standards, send it recorded - I can not see it going beyond that.

If need be Trading Standards are excellent and its a free service.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  22. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Hi OP, sorry to hear about your issue - its nothing but hassle when something goes wrong sadly.

Here is a reference to the Sale of Goods Act detailed guide for consumers.

According to item 11:

If Peter Tyson try define quality to you, here it is defined by Direct.gov as:

Since they have admitted there is a hum i.e. a defect, they have to cover the costs of return.

Some additional useful information here: BBC Watchdog Sale of Goods Act
    Quote the above - they don't have a leg to stand on.

23. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    and btw I got a refund of a TV with inverter hum (at anything but max) Even though the bloke he came round he heard it, he didn't give his opinion whether or not it was acceptable.

Same for another TV with PSU "wasp stuck in the TV" buzzing sound in standby. Got a refund on that too.

24. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Thanks. I'm going to do a follow up email as already organised the courier collection. Will certainly be pursuing my costs back.

25. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,064
    Thanks for the heads-up and update, sad to hear that they dismissed you so readily rather than try to help when there seems to be a clear problem. I had missed this thread and was looking at their site for some gear for our new living room.

26. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    It's effected the choice on my purchase too, thought about PT but this thread put me purchasing from them.

27. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Well hopefully OP can post once its all resolved.

28. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,684
    Subs can hum, cheap ones usually. But if it's not a loop the amount of hum is literally jamming your head against the speaker and hearing it. If you can hear it from 2-3 metres away then that is absolute nonsense and not even remotely acceptable.

Ask them where is this acceptable level written and by whom and what that level is in dB. Don't be giving them any money at all and write to all the people that have been suggested.

I know I won't shop there after hearing that.. 'acceptable levels', utter balls!

29. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I wish in a similar situation when i bought my marantz system as to whether to buy from superfi or peter tyson. I read accounts that Superfi were terrible and Peter Tyson excellent for customer service.

I went ahead with Superfi and found that customer service was pretty good - faulty unit within 7 days so no quibble upon inspection (the unit was totally dead so a bit easier in my case). Free returns as indicated on their site if its faulty.

I ended up buying from PT though in the end as they couldnt source stock in time lol.

Hopefully once you refer to the relevant sections of the SOGA in your email - i would suggest a letter aswell, signed for, just in case - then you shouldnt have further issues on what the rules are. Too many companies benefit from people not aware of their consumer rights.

30. byron_hinson

byron_hinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Thanks - well went with Richer Sounds who happily let me try one out in store in the back in quite - no hum, except as you say when you ear is against the sub. Exactly how I would have expected it to be.

Agree with you that they should state what they class is normal - to me normal isn't hearing it 2 meters away!