Servicing intervals for little driven car?

• Thread starter Deleted member 297713
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 297713

Am a complete moron when it comes to motors. Have a over 8 years old small Toyota bought from new and kept servicing everyyear. The last couple of years wife only does around 3000 miles a year.

Is it pointless to keep up the 12 months servicing intervals for such little driving or is there a really good reason to do it? What would you do?

Would it be a good idea to change the battery as it is now over 8 years old? We do intend to keep it.

Thanks

Why change the battery unless its giving you problems.

Are you getting main dealer services done each year?

Haven't had it serviced in Toyota for many years as local is much easier for us although we roughly pay the same (I think).

Not worry about resale value at all, if there is any concern, would only be local garage standards/knowledge/database may differ to Toyota's.

Jap cars are the most reliable. im very happy to see you have serviced it regardless of age and mileage.

but you have to now ask urself, if nothing is wrong with the car, and its only a small engine, will a yearly oil service not suffice?

and as above, why change a perfectly good battery? I have a friend who owns a mitsi evo 9 and the most (well words cannot describe it!) strange,10 year old imported corolla... never seen one in my whole life, and i dont think i ever will!!

he drives it to and from work 5 days a week (thats 300 miles/week) and he has not serviced it once :eek: hasnt even put the thing in for an oil change.... in the 3 years of ownership, it hasnt let him down once. now that is amazing! and its allowed him to keep some real nice, powerful cars at home for week end use...

thats the jap way of doing things.... proper, small car...small service, big car...well.... :smashin:

Is it pointless to keep up the 12 months servicing intervals for such little driving or is there a really good reason to do it? What would you do?

No

Just because it isn't driven much doesn't mean you should miss regular service intervals.

Last edited:
If it was me I'd just get an oil and filter change every year, as cheap as you can get it.

Oh, and keep an eye on your tyres, too

Been a bad boy this year then, about 3 months late for the service and I shall now make an effort. Would you think an oil/fluid change is enough or do the full wack?

For the battery, I did leave the door ajar once last year and it drained the battery. Just thinking if the battery been in there for 8 1/2 years and probably will need to be changed once in its lifetime, maybe changing it before it dies on me is a good idea. But then again I know nothing about cars and that's why I asked...

thanks guys

not really, pull the dipstick out.... on white tissue, what does the oil look like? if its black, then yes service it.... but if its golden/brownish.... then u can change it as a preventative maintenance.... but thats all id do, and just keep an eye on coolant level, washer fluid and like some1 else said... the tires. :)

Did buy a tyre pump recently and have started to use it regularly.:smashin:

Do tyres expire? Those got to be on there for at least last 3 years+.

Did buy a tyre pump recently and have started to use it regularly.:smashin:

Do tyres expire? Those got to be on there for at least last 3 years+.

If the tyres have hairline cracks in the walls then I would suggest getting them changed

Even though they are so old, they have the legal tread depth as the car is drive so little.

I haven't look for hairline crack but the front left seems to bulge/sag a little even at the correct pressure and I am just not 100% sure. Change none, change that one or change 4.

thing is, if it has a yearly mot, surely they would pick up on things like that, id just ensure the flat spot in the tire was just that, pump it up (or all 4) to a slightly higher pressure, take the car for a nice run on motorway to heat the tires up... then re-assess...

if it dont need spending.... dont! :)

I haven't look for hairline crack but the front left seems to bulge/sag a little even at the correct pressure and I am just not 100% sure. Change none, change that one or change 4.

If you are not sure just get a local tyre firm to check them.

Make sure it's free

Thanks for advice, everyone.

Will do fluid change and tyre check.

Will probably do that next service at Toyota to ensure everything is to their standard since it has not been there for a long time.

Just because it says Toyota over the garage dont assume there the best place to take your car. Independant garages have some of the best mechanics around and usually more experience.

Been using independent local garages almost all the time. Always try to keep business with locals and independents.

Would say once into Toyota for last 4-5 years is not over excessive as they may inform me of anything not quite right and possibly any recalls I might have missed etc etc on the spot. Surely Toyota would have all other longer service intervals parts on their database which the local may not be aware of.

But then again,it is all assumptions as I am really useless with motors and any DIY.

I certainly am happy with my local garage.:)

not really, pull the dipstick out.... on white tissue, what does the oil look like? if its black, then yes service it....

Steady on, black oil isn't necessarily bad.:eek:
Garages would just love it if everyone started changing their oil just because it's black.

yeah... but is the car a petty or tractor? being as old as it is... my oil is brown.... but can look black.... until i wipe it on the tissue, that is

just to add... Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible very good reading :)

my oil always comes out a similar colour to what it went in as..... sign of a good, healthy engine as a radical colour change, (with out adding additives) and id question why :)

Manage to have a look under the bonnet this morning.

Release lock got a bit of rust and had to play a bit to pop the bonnet.

Had a look at the dip stick and level is just under full. Wiped and dip back in and pull out to check condition of oil, would say it is a very very light brown transparent colour and seems very clean.

Kind of thinking would I benifit too much from a oil change? Just had a quote to change oil £50.99, maybe better spent on tyres if needed.......

Manage to have a look under the bonnet this morning.

Release lock got a bit of rust and had to play a bit to pop the bonnet.

Had a look at the dip stick and level is just under full. Wiped and dip back in and pull out to check condition of oil, would say it is a very very light brown transparent colour and seems very clean.

Kind of thinking would I benifit too much from a oil change? Just had a quote to change oil £50.99, maybe better spent on tyres if needed.......

£50 to change the oil on a small car seems a bit much. My local mechanic charges £30 for oil changes (using 10W-40 I think).

Id expect to pay those kinda prices for my car which takes a whopping 7 litres of oil! Not looking forward to getting it serviced in a few weeks!

Didn't go into my regular place, I was passing ATS to work. Will give my local a ring later on, suppose if it is £30, it is not bad after all.

disagree. unless the engine is old, been neglected, low frequency of oil change or sludge and carbon deposits present. dark brown can look black. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom