Servicing for Marantz CD63 KI-SIG

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mike_campbell, Mar 18, 2006.

1. mike_campbell

mike_campbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody recommend a service agent for an old CD63 KI-SIG. I probably need to have the transport replaced. I love this player and don't want to buy a new one!. I am planning to "hot rod" it like Drew with the Audicomm upgrades (no, not the £1000+ ones ;) ) so that I don't upset the balance of my system that I am quite happy with otherwise.

Thanks everyone!

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    I had my Marantz modified by a guy called Magnus Obrien down in London, he is not a dealer and just works from home. If you look at my photos on the previous thread regarding superclocks you can see his work. Im not saying that he is the 'best' or anything like that, but as it does not appear you have an answer you may as well see if he will sort out a service. Give him a ring on07944024795 and he does not charge the earth.

3. BRAVURA

BRAVURA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  4. goatywoaty

goatywoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hi Mags,

You seem to know a lot about Marantz stuff so i'd though I would ask you, do you know where I would be able to get a display for the same cd player? and how easy it would be to replace? :)

Thanks in advance,

Kiran

5. BRAVURA

BRAVURA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    H Kiran.

Whats the problem with the display? Has the player been modded or opened up for any reason? There could be another reason for it not working.

The display PCB is only available from Marantz but I have a couple spare if you need one :D

The display PCB is easy to fit. You have to remove the lid and front plate of the player, to remove the lid it's just 6 screws 2 each side and 2 at the back. To remove the front plate you have to remove the 2 screws on the top connecting it to the chassis (you will see them when you remove the lid) and take off the trim from the transport mech (there are 2 clips under the tray), you will also see 2 clips holding the front plate to the chassis on the sides unclip these and pull the top it of the front plate forward, give it a bit of a wiggle and it will come free. You also need to disconnect the head phone cable and the ribbon cable from the main PCB. I think there are then 7 screws and a couple of clips holding the display PCB to the front plate just remove these fit the new PCB and reassemble.

Cheers,
    Mags.

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    Magnus ???

7. mike_campbell

mike_campbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the lead on this

Mike Campbell

8. mike_campbell

mike_campbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers everyone for the replies to my question especially to Bravura for the link to replacing the laser mechanisim - looks reasonably straightforward too

Mike Campbell