1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Servicing An Alpha 9 Amp?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by wokeye, Mar 15, 2005.

1. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Anybody any idea how much it costs to service an Alpha 9 integrated amplifier, and if it should only be carried out by Arcam or could any hifi shop really do it? My amp often crackles when turning up the volume, also when I have it set to the AV setting to put my DVD player through the amp it destorts really badly, to cure it I have to constantly turn the input selector switch from CD back to AV a few times. Maybe it just needs a good clean, my brother has the similar earlier Delta 290 integrated amplifier that behaves in a similar fashion :confused:

2. redknag

redknag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I blew up my Alpha 9 integrated by accidently shorting the speaker cable. :rolleyes: Audio-T sent it to Arcam for me for a fixed price repair of £120. It came back as good as new. Although from what your saying a squirt of switch cleaner would do the trick for you.

3. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Thanks for the advice mate, whats switch cleaner is it just that strong smelling stuff that electricians use, think we have some stuff at work called Lec :rolleyes:

4. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Did a search and found this thread, hence reviving it. I have a similar problem with the input selector switch on my delta 290, crackles and cuts of and on all the time, both channels. It responds to a bit of jiggling of the switch. When in processor mode the amp works fine so I'm pretty sure it's the switch.

I used some switch spray but this hasn't helped. What I noticed is that the switch is sealed on the inside so you can't really get to the contacts.

Any advice? Anyone know if Arcam would sell just the switch, it would cost me more to freight the amp to Arcam than it's worth.

5. saucerish

saucerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just replaced the volume pot on a Alpha 8 for the second time. the first time Arcam did it. They are prone to wearing out and you can tell from the crackles and the amp losing stereo at low volume.

Arcam parts were very helpful are very good at sending out whatever parts you want. I assume the pot will be the same for the Alpha 9, if it is it cost 11 quid delivered. There is a bit of soldering invilved but it's not too bad!:)

6. hossacd

hossacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have the same problem with my Arcam 9 I have contacted Arcam direct from their webpage as the shop I bought it from no longer supplies Arcam goods. They will replace the switch however I need to send it back to them but I need to take it to anther Arcam dealer so they can send it back, just got to find one now.

One thing they didn't mention was how much it would cost to fix, but I recon its worth spending some money on it as it still sounds good I looked into changing my 9/9p a couple of years ago but I couldn't really find anything to give me a good gain in sound quailty without spending silly money.

7. M5Driver

M5Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Alpha 10 has just stopped working and I have been quoted £155 by Sevenoaks for service and repair. :mad:

Its currently with Arcam and it should be back within a week or 10 days, all being well - fingers crossed!:clap:

8. hossacd

hossacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I think Arcam do fixed price repairs regardless of whats wrong with it, I checked the price for the Alpha 9 and its £148 now. They did say they would replace the facia if I requested it along with the repair as the input names faded off mine a while back.

9. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Sorry to bump this thread but I am finally going to fix my amp, tried the switch cleaner which is useless. My brother paid a local electronics firm to fix the same issue on his Delta 290 amp. They said it was dry solder joints, and re-sodered them for £36. The fault has came back within no time. So it looks like I am going to have to buy the input select switch from Arcam which is £35+ VAT :eek: Wish I could get one for £11! And then pay a local company to solder it in, as I am quite frankly useless at soldering. Still a very good amp though the Alpha 9 and I do not want to really upgrade. Just wondered if anyone knew of cheaper parts anywhere as £11 sounds good , but that is for a volume pot not an input selection switch.