• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Services (Local) all disabled in XP after Power Cut

godfarter

Hello all,

A few days ago after heavy rain, there was a power cut in my house which has left the electronics, particularly my computer, in a mess.:suicide:

apart from losing the video signals from my pc to a dual monitor setup (i have since connected the pc to another spare monitor), now when I start Windows XP, all my Services (Local) are listed as Disabled.

So i have no internet (no icons showing my network adapter under network connections), I have no sound except beeps (Sound and Audio Devices in Control Panel, everything listed as No Audio/Playback/Recording Devices and grayed out with no option to select)

Gone into MSCONFIG, Normal Startup - load all devices drivers and services, to no avail. Selective Startup and ticking all the boxes including Load System Services also to no avail. :(

There was also one yellow warning in my device manager (device manager was previously totally blank but I used my winxp recovery disc to boot and repair) which stated that I had a missing SM Bus Controller. I googled that and updated my Intel Chipset with the Utility and the Warning icon has now gone.

No option for System Restore, all grayed out. And I uninstalled my Norton Internet Security because i read somewhere it might have been the cause of the blank device manager as it was trying to "protect" the hardware drivers.

Is there a way to force start all the System Services? Right now, using the Services program under Control Panel>Administrative Tools, if i right click on any service, Start/Stop/Pause/Resume/Restart is all GRAYED OUT. Same for All Tasks>GRAYED OUT.

Is this something to do with svchost.exe?

Hope I do not have to go through the hassle of a system restore so i'm holding out at the moment for some expert advice from you guys for the time being :hiya:

Thanks in advance!

godfarter

Cheers Uridium :thumbsup:

It was a tedious process having to turn each and every service to automatic but that seems to have done the trick!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now if you or anyone else can be kind enough to assist further please :D

i face the problem where after the power cut, my graphics card is not detecting my previous two lcds comprising a dell monitor and a sony lcd tv (where it was working fine before)

This was basically my dual monitor setup.

Nvidia card DVI > DVI to VGA connector > VGA Cable ------> Sony LCD TV
Nvidia card DVI > DVI to VGA connector > VGA Cable ------> Dell LCD Monitor

After the power cut, i get black screens on my lcd monitor and similarly on my sony lcd tv which says "no signal" and "signal output not supported"

1. attaching my spare Samsung lcd monitor to it via DVI it works perfectly, so I'm certain there is nothing wrong with the graphics card (latest drivers installed)
  2. attaching another DVI cable to connect from computer to the old Dell Monitor, the computer doesnt detect it even when i try to reactivate my dual-monitors with force-detection

is there a way i can recalibrate/reset the vga/dvi ports on my equipment or is this something for the professionals to do? hopefully its just an xp problem which i can just reset/uninstall drivers somewhere

thanks in advance for all your answers ;)

godfarter

did you try system restore after enabling the help service it mighta been quicker?

thanks for your reply maddogb but i dont know why all my system restore options are grayed out. im certain I turned system restore on during my last format end of last year.

anyway i've just turned it on but i cant seem to access the old system restore points...even the ones made during my last format :(

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom