Service visit!!!!!

JamesS

Had a service visit today (foc), pace HD box playing up, was one of the first boxes using component out to my sony plasma via the amp. he has left a amstard drx 890 looks new but suppose must be a refurb. Used some sort of hdmi adaptor cable out to component and fitted that back into the amp. In effect what has happened is the output from the HD box is through the scart now, yes what a great picture!!!!!!! even better on the HD channels:thumbsdow, needles to say was a sub-contractor. Phoned sky they are sending ano over the weekend so fingers crossed, mind you if they have no more component out boxes looked like I'm stuffed, quite comical to pull the hdmi out of the box and see no effect on tv, misses say why is it in if it doswn't do anything, she must have a point.

Starburst

Novice Member
How odd, it would have helped if you had specified a replacement SKY+HD with component and was aware it would be a two year old at least refurb but I'm not sure why he fitted a simple cable adaptor which we know doesn't work as intended but also hooked up scart to make it look like it was working.
Good luck with the second replacement, as always never sign off on anything you are not 100% happy about:)

I really don't see how it benefited the installer unless he knew this could be a problem and was ready to fob you off with a cable costing pennies and he would be long gone.

JamesS

How odd, it would have helped if you had specified a replacement SKY+HD with component and was aware it would be a two year old at least refurb but I'm not sure why he fitted a simple cable adaptor which we know doesn't work as intended but also hooked up scart to make it look like it was working.
Good luck with the second replacement, as always never sign off on anything you are not 100% happy about:)

I really don't see how it benefited the installer unless he knew this could be a problem and was ready to fob you off with a cable costing pennies and he would be long gone.

I aware that there have been no component boxes for a couple of years so knew it would be a refurb and yes i did tell them it was component out. I have never seen or indeed knew there was such a thing as hdmi-component adaptor, where did he get that from I wonder?. Do these work or it is some sort of wonderful scam cable been dreamed up? The only good thing so far come out of this so far is that when i phoned up to rearrange another call been offered and taken years worth of hd subs, mind you no good yet as can't watch it!!!

Starburst

Novice Member
I have never seen or indeed knew there was such a thing as hdmi-component adaptor, where did he get that from I wonder?. Do these work or it is some sort of wonderful scam cable been dreamed up?

Yeah converting HDMI to Component has been an option for a few years and marketed very well via the HD Fury device, simple adaptor cables will not convert HDMI digital to analogue component however they have a use for devices that can send certain signals out via HDMI (similar to a scart socket that can be outputting s-video).

A nice consolation assuming as you say you get the box you need or perhaps get SKY to reduce your subs to allow you buy a third party solution:)

JamesS

Yeah converting HDMI to Component has been an option for a few years and marketed very well via the HD Fury device, simple adaptor cables will not convert HDMI digital to analogue component however they have a use for devices that can send certain signals out via HDMI (similar to a scart socket that can be outputting s-video).

A nice consolation assuming as you say you get the box you need or perhaps get SKY to reduce your subs to allow you buy a third party solution:)
Thanks starburst, I had no idea about the HD fury and seems that is my only option if they don't come up with an older box etc, looking at the price the years HD subs freebie dosen't cover the cost so might be a question of having a further chat;), thanks again.;)

logiciel

Isn't it time though for a new TV to get full use out of those 12 months free HD subs?:D

JamesS

Result, sky man came today (not a subie) and had a thomson box with component on the van:smashin:, great stuff:thumbsup:, also after feeding him bacon butties etc he said he should really take the amstrad with him but happy for me to use it as the multi box, nod nod wink wink. Picture back to it's crisp self and result all round, now then anyone want a amstrad box:smashin:, thanks all.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom