Service/Repair of an Arcam AVR850?

t-force

Afternoon all,

Last night, while I was using it, there was an almighty bang from the area around my TV and Arcam AVR850. Initially I thought the screen might have cracked on my TV, but a close inspection showed this was not the case. Shortly afterwards, however, the AVR shut itself down, displaying “Fault 01 detected..(DC)” in the display. Now, when I try to turn it on, it will power up for a max of 30 seconds, before shutting down, and displaying the same error message.

My first thought was the HDMI board, but the HDMI switching is still working, and the pass-through, when the amp is in standby, works fine, so it seems like that’s not completely borked at least.

Somewhat typically, the 5-year guarantee expired about 3.5 months ago. Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether Arcam look at these kind of situations sympathetically? Alternatively, is there anyone out there outside of Arcam who is able to service/repair Arcam AVRs, in the way that Kevin Green does with TAG stuff? My guess, given the complexity of a modern AVR, that the answer to this one is going to be no.

Any input and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Steve356

Distinguished Member
Afternoon all,

Last night, while I was using it, there was an almighty bang from the area around my TV and Arcam AVR850. Initially I thought the screen might have cracked on my TV, but a close inspection showed this was not the case. Shortly afterwards, however, the AVR shut itself down, displaying “Fault 01 detected..(DC)” in the display. Now, when I try to turn it on, it will power up for a max of 30 seconds, before shutting down, and displaying the same error message.

My first thought was the HDMI board, but the HDMI switching is still working, and the pass-through, when the amp is in standby, works fine, so it seems like that’s not completely borked at least.

Somewhat typically, the 5-year guarantee expired about 3.5 months ago. Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether Arcam look at these kind of situations sympathetically? Alternatively, is there anyone out there outside of Arcam who is able to service/repair Arcam AVRs, in the way that Kevin Green does with TAG stuff? My guess, given the complexity of a modern AVR, that the answer to this one is going to be no.

Any input and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Might be worth at least asking Arcam. Based on personal experience, it sounds like the main output board has become defective as you have similar fault to the one I had on my 850 about 3 years ago, although mine didn't go bang, it just developed the fault 01.

Did you buy your 850 from a dealer or was it 2nd hand? If through a dealer that you bought from before, it might be worth getting them to talk to Arcam as they may have more leverage.

Steve356

Distinguished Member
It was through a dealer, and they’ve said that they will take things up with Arcam on my behalf.

Best method IMHO. The dealer will have more power with Arcam than an individual customer. My dealer has always gone to bat with Arcam on my behalf whenever issues have arisen and this far, have been successful.

Good luck! Hope it turns out well and you get your 850 fixed. :smashin:

shug4476

It should be fixable and Arcam have a fixed repair cost for most kit. Annoying that it went bang right after the warranty expired! Bloody typical!

Let us know how you get on. You have to go through the dealer for these things as most manufacturers refuse to speak to their customer base directly.

goatlips

Yeah definitely go through your dealer, either pay the cost of repair or think about upgrade time??

t-force

Yeah definitely go through your dealer, either pay the cost of repair or think about upgrade time??
Taking it in to my dealer tomorrow (so have the wonderful joy of disconnecting and labelling everything tonight). I've been considering the AVR30, but wasn't ready to jump yet.

Seryozha

Same thing happened with my AVR450 - fixed repair cost around £450. I bought an Anthem instead and it ran flawlessly from the day I installed it.

I missed the Arcam sound though and am now owner of the AVR20 + PA410. I estimated that if it develops a fault after the 5 year guarantee the massive discount I got would cover Arcam’s fixed price repair then some.

So if you can, perhaps go for a discounted AVR30. I can recommend a retailer who’ll do it for about a grand less than RRP. Note, the sound ain’t that much different than the pre ious models, just updated features.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom