SERVICE MODEO petrol 1.8

PHOTOSHOP KID

My 12 mth service is now due and I am wondering if it is possible to save a bit of cash, instead of taking it to a Ford dealer and being charged £160, I was thinking of buying genuine ford oil/filter/air filter and doing it myself for about £30, in todays modern cars there seems to be a lot less servicable items, most just get replaced when they fail.

Any thoughts on my plans, thanks

accyuklad

Banned
well if you know what you doing then it shouldnt do any harm if you going to get the correct stuff because i wouldnt pay £160 either lol

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
What year of Mondeo is this?

My old 99 Focus was a doddle to service myself, well having a set of those cheap roll on car ramps helped.

Liam

Kristian

And check your brake discs/pads/pistons, brake lines, bushes, TREs, tyres, other fluids, lights, plugs, pollen filters, check any ecu warnings/erros, oil/grease the hinges etc.. And not forgetting, filling up your screen washer fluid and stamping the book ;) ;)

benhaha85

And check your brake discs/pads/pistons, brake lines, bushes, TREs, tyres, other fluids, lights, plugs, pollen filters, check any ecu warnings/erros, oil/grease the hinges etc.. And not forgetting, filling up your screen washer fluid and stamping the book ;) ;)

My local dealers have never done that much to my car, even on a major service. They might have kicked the tyres once or twice. :rotfl:

Kristian

o didnt know they did that much work lol

Yep, there's more to a service than just an oil and filter change. Now, do all garages do much more than that when they do a service? Let's just say I'd not bet much money it, anyway...

However, there are plenty a good reasons to do your own servicing so please don't take my post too seriously.

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
Changing the oil filter on a Mondeo is a complete bastard. At least it is on my MK2 1.8Ltr. The filter is round the back of the engine and you need arms like an octopus to reach it. You're supposed to jack it up and take the front nearside wheel off apparently.

Just get it done by your local garage or Kwik Fit or somebody.

qysuccess

Standard Member
how much does your local garage offer. what are the services included? normally they only replace the filters and change oils.
dealer normaly charges more...

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Whatever Ford want for a service, a Rapid Fit next door (and usually part of the same complex) will do it for up to 50% less, still use genuine parts and you get a 'Ford Garage' stamp.

Ford wanted £240 for a major service to my 1.8 TDCi 2007 Focus. Spoke to Rapid Fit, £150. It worked out even better value on the interim service too.

Handy for those who don't want warranty questions if something goes wrong - Ford are very unlikely to question what parts were used by Rapid Fit :)

car-man

I would just like to clear up a misconception about "genuine parts" used in servicing any make of car and warranty.

As there are so many cars that have parts fitted from new by the
manufacturer that are not actually made by the car's manufacturer (assembler) it is completey acceptable to use "non-genuine" service parts-provided that they are covered by the industry "Block Exemption" rules.
If you want to buy so-called non-genuine service parts, just make sure that you ask if they are covered by "block exemption".
For example, a filter made by Fram could well be the same filter used by a car manufacturer but with that manufacturers name on it, eg Ford.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Mazda are a complete rip off these days...£240 for a service and you don't even have a book to stamp anymore because they keep it all on their Mazda computer. Dunno how you're supposed to maintain a full service history when you don't even have a book to show for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom