1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service Mode on Sony KP44PX3

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ayrshiredude, Jun 19, 2004.

1. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I finally got a RPTV that I am happy with - well amost. I bought a Sony KP44PX3 which arrived today. The picture is pretty much great though it seems to be a little out or focus. When I saw this TV in Powerhouse it was worse than this but when I saw it in Currys it was pin sharp so I know it could be better.

IS it possible to adjust the focus in the Service Menu? If so how do I get into the service menu. Also how do you do a manual convergence as, though it is pretty good, it's not quite spot on.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks again

2. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ayreshiredude,

I took delivery of one of these yesterday and have noticed 2 problems. The first is, as you say the focus. I find this particularly noticeable with fast moving objects. Speaking to a friend who has a Phillips he had the same issue with their picture processing on the highest setting. Currently I have mine set to "advanced digigtal motion" - I'll dumb it down to the lower setting and let you know what I think.

I've also got another problem though...wondered if you might have seen this.

Watching dvd's only - shing objects, such as jewellery etc are causing what I can only describe as "streaking" right across the screen, originating from the object itself. This is noticeable at all times, but particularly bad if the background is dark. Any ideas what that may be - is it a fault with the set? Seems strange that I onyl see this on the av2 input though, and not when viewing sky through the av1 input.

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

3. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have noted the same problem as you describe. It seems to happen from any bright image like lights, candles even white text on a black background. Currys have agreed to exchange mine for this but I am now beginning to wonder if this is a fault or a feature of this set. I have noticed it on both AV1 and AV2 i.e. DVD and Sky+ though is appears on DVD. The thing is I don't remember seeing it at first, now this may be because I just didn't notice it (though I kinda doubt that) or because it has just started to show itself.

I have found that the Advanced Digital Motion makes no real improvment to the picture quality other than making text look better when scrolling horizontally across the screen. It may make a slight difference to the overall picture but I find that the other option is pretty good to start with. The problem with the Advanced setting is that it makes some movement look unnatural. It's hard to describe but it can almost make movement look as it is has been very slightly speeded up. I find that the basic setting has no problems other than fast horizontal scrolling text is bad, but I can live with that.

I would say that having had 2 Toshiba 42WH36 and 1 Samsung SP42W4 that the general piture quality on the Sony is by far the best. There is just no image smearing, the Tosh did show this on occasion and the Samsung had it all the time. The colours are rich and very natural, again the Toshiba was pretty good but not perfect and the Samsung was downright dreadful. I have also noted that where on the other sets Sky and some DVDs would show a fair amount of digital artifacts and blockiness the Sony seems to manage to pretty much not show this. The images on the Sony show remarkable levels of detail ( I guess down to the Picture Power processing) and generally, despite a few little niggles, I am very impressed with the image quality,

I have came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a perfect set. Every one has it's own set of problems. It is really a matter of deciding which set of problems you can best live with.

4. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ayreshiredude,

I agree with your last post...having had a good look at the set watching sky last night I can see that the streaking effect is apparent on both av channels now. I'm going to have a go at applying the "smear fix" tonight and see if that cures it. I do hope so...because aside from the streaking the set is superb.

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

5. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my understanding of the smear problem this is not the same. If you do find that the Smear fix helps then please let me know.

6. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ayreshiredude,

Agreed re the "smear fix" - but thought I would give it a go. As it turns out the service menu would appear to be different on this to the others as I couldn't find the scanrate on the service menu, so that was that.

I have an engineer coming to have a look at the set on Tuesday so will keep you posted.

Have you had the set replaced by Currys yet? If so, are you still seeing the same "streaking" effect as per the 1st one?

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

7. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok perhaps I should have read this first lol. Never mind. Yea getting a new one today so will keep you posted though not expecting any difference. I am not sure what I will do if it is on this as well.

I am loathed to start again looking for a different set having had 2 Toshibas and 1 Samsung. So far, despite this problem, this is by far the best set I have had. The colours are amazing and the definition is first class. It seems to be able to handle even the poor bitrate Sky channels with ease and generally has a fantastic picture. I am wondereing if it is time to just accept that whatever set I get there are going to be some kind of problems. Its really whether or not I can live with the smears or not.

Anyway Will keep you posted.

8. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "I am loathed to start again looking for a different set having had 2 Toshibas and 1 Samsung"

Can i ask what you didn't like about the Toshiba RPtvs?

9. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They wouldn't stay converged. I had to converge it everytime I watched it as it was always out. This seems to be a common problem with the Toshibas.

10. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Currys delivered the new set yesterday afternoon and I could have cried. When I turned it on and started the install process the TV clicked off and the red power light on the front blinked. I repeated this several times and the same thing happened. This happened when the set tried to auto tune. I finally selected no to the autotune and was able to watch Sky but the first thing I noticed was that the bottom half of the screen was much darker then the top half. After much frustration and use of fowl language I finally got a Manager to call me back. He arranged, once again, for the service engineer to come out. He has just been and said it was faulty so I seem to be back to square one.

I think I am fast approaching the end of my tether. I bought my first Tosh in February and here I am in July no further forward. I am kinda wondering about the 42SX300. I am heading up to Currys now to have a look at it. Robert Whyte have this graded for £1400 so I am going to chance my arm and see if Currys will price match this. If not I will get a refund and go to Robert Whyte.

To be continued.....

11. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Didn't like the 42SX300 so have asked for a refund. I think I am going to give up for now. I might go to Robert Whyte and buy a graded 32" or perhaps 36" to tide me over for a couple of years till plasmas/LCD tvs come down in price a bit.

I'm too tired to try again for a RPTV

12. natal

natal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys !

Im a newbie so take it easy.

I've had the sony kp44x3 for a couple of days now, and I also have the problems with "candle lights" streaking across the screen, and the artifacts when fast pans with cam (only with adm not with dp on)

Any fixes for this in the service menu?

It seems that all of the sony kp44px3 has this "problem"..

Cheers !

/natal

13. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have had my second set uplifted by Curry's and refunded. The manager contacted their Mastercare Service Centre to find out if there was a known issue or a fix for this problem but unfortunately came back empty handed.

I also contacted Sony but they were very unhelpful and denied any know problem and would not comment on the situation hmmmmmmmmmmm.

So either you can live with it in which case you have what is probably one of the best RPTV pictures I have seen or, like me, you can't and send it back.

I am taking a break from tvs for a while. Back to my 8 year old 29" 4 X 3 Panasonic which has a fantastic picture but looks so small compared to the 44".

I am kinda thinking about going for one of the Curry's 36" tvs. Just missed the JVC at £999 so might wait till it comes around again, or just wait a couple of years till Plasmas/LCDs become more reasonably priced.

14. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ayreshiredude,

See my update re my 2nd 44PX3 on the "KP44PX3 Problems" thread...not good news I'm afraid re the streaking problem :(

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

15. natal

natal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I called Sony here in Sweden, and after getting sent around I finally got through to the workshop. The guy I talked to said that regarding ADM function , its supposed to be used to watching pictures ( to enhance quality)
    And not for fast moving objects like an action movie.

Not to the "streaking issue" he hadnt heard of that problem , but he would look into that. So I'll call him on monday to see whats happening.

But I think that is a problem that is gonna be hard to solve.
    We'll see..

Cheers :thumbsup:

16. natal

natal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I called the guy this morning, and he wasn't there :(

He's on vacation for three weeks.damn.

Anyways here's a tip for you, i've put a lamp behind the tv, and that reduces the streaking lines pretty much.

17. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Natal,

You say you put a lamp behind the TV - care to expand? Position etc? Also, how much did this help? Did it eliminate the streaking completely?

That's damn interesting to hear though - I have to admit to never having seen the inside of a RPTV but I'd love to know anyones views on how this might be working - something to do with the mirrors?

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

18. natal

natal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not like it has anything to do with streaking effects, just that with more light you dont see the streaking as much.

Mine is to the left/rear of the tv ( i can see the effects if Im looking for them.

19. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well,

Had the engineer out today to look at my 2nd 44PX3. He's going to contact Sony about the streaking problem - so I'll post an update here when he returns (coming back to adjust the geometry) if he has any news.

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

20. natal

natal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be great. I've contacted Elgiganten (where I bought the tv) They contacted some engineer , who would get back to me on thur, or fri.
    We'll see, I'll keep you informed as soon as I get some info.

/natal

21. natal

natal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, they said that they needed to examine it at Sony.

:rolleyes: We'll they're gonna pick up next week, So we'll see.

I will let you know.

/natal

22. natal

natal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blasthand

You got any new info ?

I'm having mine picked up tomorrow,they said I would be getting a new one.I told them that I want reinsurance (spelling?) that it didnt have the same streaking problem. We'll see.

Keep me updated blasthand . Thanks

/natal
    :clap:

23. grahamd

grahamd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just noticed this thread and had to post, oh the joys of rptv.
    after 1 thomson, and was it 4 or 5 sony px2, dx2 its been a while i forget.
    the streaking was called harmonic distortion on the thomson, the old sonys i had didnt suffer from this but had there own problems, dodgy convergence, marks on the inside of the screen, scratches, cabinet damage, in fact i don't think sony have any q/c at all.

suffice to say i spend my time on the plasma and front pj boards these days.
    as my building work has finally finished, purchase is now imminent.

i must thank sony though, i blew £ 1800 on said rptv, with money back in pocket, panasonic now sell their plasma sub £ 2000 and front pjs can be had for under £ 1500.

24. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well,

For me all this started as a home insurance claim because my youngest son scratched the screen on my old KP41DS1, hence I was sent a 44PX3. But having had the 2 sets with the same streaking problem (amongst others - geometry, picture not filling the screen) they have agreed I can have an alternative. It's gonna cost me £240 but I've decided to opt for the LG RE44SZ21RD 44" dlp.

I went to Currys today and had a look at this - watched the first 5-10 minutes of Spiderman, and I have to say I was impressed. Despite the fact it was only fed through a cheap dvd player and dodgy scart lead I liked what I saw. Now I can't wait to get mine in approx 2 weeks and see what it looks like after tweaking the picture, with prog' scan and component feed :thumbsup: - I didn't notice any of the rainbow effects that people have mentioned on other threads about this set.

grahamd - have to say that I concur with your points on Sony quality control - or rather the lack of it. I think they could well be living off their name right now as far as TV's go, and have been for the last 2 years. My old KP41 was fine - never had a thing wrong with it, and that was purchased 4 years ago, but it seems the wheels have fallen off the Sony TV bandwagon.

Natal - I'd be interested in what Sony say about the set once they get it back - but whatever happens - good luck!

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

25. natal

natal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be getting a new on monday or tuesday,Im gonna go out to the retailer "elgiganten" and bring some dvd's. Just to check for the streaking problem.If its still there I'll ask for a refund prolly.

I dont have that high hopes of getting a "good one" If the problem is still there and I get a refund, what should I get instead ?

Is THOMSON 44JW612S anything worth ?

Blasthand:

The LG you're getting is it a DLP right ? How about the lamp , do you know how long it lasts?.

/natal

26. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Natal,

There is mention of the lifetime somewhere...do a search on the model name of the lg.

Your getting ya new 44PX3 next week - i'd be surprised if it doesn't have the same streaking issue. Everyone I've spoken to has had this same problem - and more besides, unfortunately. Regarding the Thomson - I've not looked at one so can't comment I'm afraid.

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

27. zaphody

zaphody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm from Germany and own the KP-44PX3 for three days now. I'm happy to say, that I have none of your problems, neither the "streaking" nor the "out of focus" problem. It seems to me, as if you have a "bad fabrication row" (sorry for my bad English), which means, that some models have this errors "by design".

Here in Germany, I've seen about six KP-44PX3 models and none of them had these problems. The picture of mine is super sharp, perfect colours and no streaking at all. I can watch Soccer, I can watch music-videos or action movies and when I see a candle in a dark hollow, the picture is only light around the candle not on the whole screen. Maybe it has something to do with the location, where the TVs are produced? I've also used some "Test-DVDs" regarding convergence, geometry etc. and everything is perfect.

I just want to give you a "little hope", that you can pick a model without any errors. As stated before, there are some (at least in Germany).

In my opinion, this model is the best rp-tv I've ever seen and it even beats plasmas, which cost some 1.000 Euros more. (And I'm not a person who is "easy to satisfy" :)

Cheers,
    Zaphod :smashin:

28. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thomson 44JW612s is a decent choice for a CRT RPTV, up there with the best in that area. I've got the 40KW613 and it's very good, once yuo've fiddled with the convergence, it rewards you with a crisp picture, brilliant colours and i can't find any of the faults mentioned in this thread.

DLP is obviously a newer Technology and you won't have any convergence/focus problems.
    The lamp for the LG is quoted with 6000 hrs. worth considering imho.

29. natal

natal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thats good news, because I really want this tv to work for me.

My new one is comming in tomorrow, Im gonna bring a couple of dvd's and try it out before I replace it.

Can you check on the back which factory it is built in ?
    Country etc. I'd appreciate that.

/Thanks

30. zaphody

zaphody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ Natal and Blasthand: You wouldn't believe it: Since yesterday, the streaking effect occurs on my PX3 as well. But I have to say, that I only can see it, when the screen is almost dark and the streaking itself is luckily not "white" but "only" lightens the complete horizontal line a little. My wife even didn't notice it at all until I told her, where to look at.

Well, of course I'm not in the mood to exchange this model by another PX3, cause it seems, that every current model has this "feature". I really wonder, what causes this streaking? Is it the screen itself? I have tested several settings, you can influence the streaking by playing around with contrast/brightness etc, and of course the streaking almost disappears when you turn the light on in the room. e.g. the streaking is much worse by night than by daylight.

I hope, that Sony admits that there's a problem and maybe they can find the error and fix it (by updating the software or replacing the front screen). Please keep me updated, I would like to know what's going on at your site.

Cheers,
    Zaphod

PS: Another question: Where was your TV produced? On the back of your TV, there is a sticker. Mine reads: "Manufactured 07/2004 - Made in Spain". In another German tv-forum, many users also report of that streaking problem, and all of their models were produced in Spain.