1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

service menu question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jasi, Jan 9, 2005.

1. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there. I tried to use instructions on another thread to access the service menu on my tv but had no success. I want to correct the geometry on my sony kd-28dl11u and apparantly, while on standby, you have to press i+ then 5 then vol+ and then the digital button to go into service mode. I held each button in one after the other and then released them all at once but nothing happened. Does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or if they're the wrong buttons?
    Thanks very much for your help! :)

2. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Have similar questions in another thread. What I have found on another web page indicates that you press the buttons in-turn, i.e. not keeping them pressed in.

However, I found for my Sony that I had to turn off the TV at the main switch, press and hold both Prog+ and Prog- down (on the top of my TV) and then turn back on the main power switch. This has got me into service mode at last!

Hope you find something that works.

Robbie

3. timbo_bobcat

timbo_bobcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't work on my KV28HX15 - and my remote doesn't have an i+ button either. :-(

4. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hmmm, pressing them one after the other didn't seem to work either. I'll have another look around, maybe it has the same code as other similar sets or something. Thanks anyway!

5. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you actually need to do Jasi is:

Press

i+
    vol+
    [ ]

the [ ] button is the analogue button, it's the button under the digital one.

I have the same set as you as and I've got into the service menu doing this.

Just tested it too and it works

HTH

6. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi jasi

U say you r tryin to get into service mode to change the geomatry the geom is out slightly on my sony KD28DL11u how do you alter the geomatry my sony drops on the left if you have a stright line showin on the screen
    have altered the geomatry as much as i can in the pic set up but it still slightly out can anyone help :thumbsup:

7. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  8. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed slight geometry issues with my set - a slight kinking at the top left of the screen, but I really do see it as a major issue and see no point in correcting it when it's hardly visible. I'm definaltely a perfectionist in many respects but for some reason I am happy to let this go ?!

What sort of geometry problems are you guys having? Any other issues with the set?

I got mine just before Christmas and really love the set :thumbsup:

9. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got the kd-28dl11u before christmas but the picture was curved and had convergence problems (also not that much but it annoyed enough to make a fuss) so I got empiredirect to send an engineer over. After about 4 visits and a repair they decided to exchange the set and the new one is much better. There's a slight bend along the top of the screen again but almost unnoticeable so I don't mind. The picture was also slightly too far to the right so there was a black bar on the left but thanks to you guys I managed to fix that in the geometry menu using H-Centre.

10. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you sorted your problems Jasi!

Have you noticed any other issues with your set aside from geometry etc.

Every once in a while whilst playing around in the EPG - usually when setting timer events (reminders or to record on my smartlink video in av2) or sometimes even just changing channel with the ch+ button the tv goes off and comes back on as if it were turned on first time?!

I do have a cam in the back with my top up tv card in, and it always comes up module inserted (like when you first turn the TV on). I've checked in the service menu error logging and also I have no flashing LED problems whilst in standby - so I've put this down to a software problem? This never happens in analogue mode or when just watching TV.

Any ideas? Not that it really bothers me as it happens so rarely, just wondering if it's just me or what?!

11. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can't say I've had any other problems with it, but then I don't have a top-up card or smartlink player so I can't really comment. Actually there is one thing but everyone seems to have this - the favourites list gets deleted from time to time because the tv auto updates. I just delete the channels I don't want now so it doesn't matter though, I wouldn't want to switch off auto update.

12. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i got mine b4 christmas to.
    other things i have noticed is slight red smears on left side of screen this is noticable when there is a white screen any ideas how to get rid of this
    Have had a look in the service menue geomatry the settings for
    V-bow is set at 29
    H-centre is set at 29
    Should i still try and change these to a diff setting to correct the bow

13. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard about the favorites getting lost but I never use those in the first place!

I can only assume its something to do with my setup as it never happens on analogue (granted I hardly ever use that), and for the amount of times I use my TV (which at the moment is a hell of a lot) if this is my main problem then I'd consider myself lucky after reading the problems some people have with some TV sets.

14. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    since i have been into the service mode to look at the geomotry setting (have not changed any ) the light on the front of the tv keeps flashing red green when the tv is in stand by mode do you know why

15. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve, I do know that if you have something set for reminder (or to record) in the EPG the light will flash green once every 30 seconds (or less not sure) when the TV is in standby. It does mention this in the manual - as far as I know it only becomes a problem if the light flashes green more than once - anything over 1 flash in sucession is indicative of other problems with the set.

I too have been into the service menu about 3 times now, and not changed anything and not had any light flashing when in standby, apart from the once for EPG set stuff.

Hope this helps.

16. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    think that is the problem but i didnt set it to time anythink might have set it by accedent but cant find which program it is going to tape

17. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you manage to sort this out Steve?

Did the timer event go by and now the light no longer flashes?

Let me know how you got on :)

18. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The light on the front of the tv is still flashing and i cant find out if its the timer thats set
    i didn't set it it only stearted flashing when i tried to get into the service mode i only went into service mode to have a look at the settings.
    If i accidently set somethink on the timer i cant find out what it is and dont know how to cancell it

19. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

Go into your EPG (the button under RED on your remote)
    then hit Yellow which brings up the timer settings. If you have set something you will have be able to get a timer list, which once you go into that you can delete any set timers.

Out of interest just how many flashes are you getting in a sequence? Is it just the 1 followed by a pause then another or is it more than one in quick succession?

20. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    just 1 then followed by a pause i know it dose thiis if you have set a time record but when i go into timer settings there is only timer rec and manuel rec no other settings

im just woundering if somethink else has got changed

21. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Eso did y try altering any setting to get the geomatry sorted and if so what did u change :confused:

22. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting Steve, typically the one flash then a pause is indicative of something being set in the EPG? I really don't know what else to suggest? It even mentions the one flash thing in the manual?!

I'm new to digital TVs, almost new TVs in general to be honest, my last set was a Sony but it was at least 5 years old when it got replaced in December!

I haven't messed with any of the geometry settings at all Steve, aside from not really noticing much of a problem, aside from a minor bend at the top left of the screen I have no other concerns - even then the picture rotation option (in the regular setup menu) cures most of this issue!

Sorry I couldn't be too much help, maybe someone else on here knows the answer!

23. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Think i'v sorted the flashing light went into the timer rec clicked on it to record somethink when it came up do you want to recored clicked no set the tv to stand by and this seamed to correct it :clap:

24. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news Steve!

Glad you managed to sort it out!

Good luck with the service menu too, that is if you intend to try and correct some of your geometry issues!

25. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :confused: altered the v-bow settings abit but it hasen't corrected the bow on the left it still drops on the lefthand side so if anyone who reads this post has had the same problem and solved it let me know what you did :clap: