1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service menu problems 40 WH 08

Discussion in 'TVs' started by bug, Mar 18, 2001.

1. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody please please help, a friend of mind came round to my home yesterday.
    And basically played with my sets service menu, And the factory setting were not written down can somebody please let me know they are set? as i can not get out an engineer with the set as it is please please help [​IMG]

2. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What exactly has he changed in the service menu?
    What is it about the TV that is now different?
    WHY did you let youre friend mess around in there??
    What number are you? ("I am not a number. I am a free man!!")...sorry, couldn't think of any more questions..lol

Really though, please give as much info as possible as to what has gone wrong and what has changed on the set. Do you have any idea what your friend has changed and what area of the service menu he went into (please say he didn't go into the designer menu).

The more info you can give the more it will help to get you out of this pickle (I know how you feel...my service menu blues were self induced though!!)

------------------
    "Why don't we wait here a while...see what happens..."
    The member formaly known as Jason

[This message has been edited by MacReady (edited 18-03-2001).]

3. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can not say the pincushion is out and it looks like the bottom of the picture has been moved down.if you could maybe put down the settings from your menu i can adjust mine? as far as the designer menu no?, Also as for letting my mate have a fiddle the instructions for getting in the service menu were next to my tv.And basically he just played with the settings i was not in the room [​IMG]
    Thanks jason your help is much appreciated

4. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By pincushion do you mean the convergance screen ( cross hatch screen mad eup of around 50-60 points that is initailly in white but can be switched between red green and blue)?
    If your 'friend' has messed with this and buggered up the convergance and geometry then I have some bad news for you......there are NO factory settings that can be refered to and NO re set to the set's original settings.

You mention that the bottom of the screen has beenmoved down. In what way? do you mean that the convergance screen has been adjusted and 'pulled' the image down at the bottom or has the picture completely moved down rom its original position?
    I know it is possible to adjust the relative position of the picture on the screen but i have not done this myself. If you go through the various service menu headings (I think you use the volume up/down to work youre way through them)you should see one with V hold and H hold as titles. I am not sure how the V hold is adjusted but it does move the picture whilst keeping the geometry the same.

If the geometry has been adjusted in the convergance menu then here is a quick run down of what to do (I suppose I may as well get it over with...lol)

Enter the service menu, hold down the function button and press 7.Choose Pal wide.If a white cross hatch appears then press the red and blue teletxt buttons to just show a green grid. If the grid is VERY badly converged (and I mean VERy badly...a few minor errors can be corrected later without messing around with the green grid yet) then you will have to adjust it by eye until you are happy you have a straight grid. To adjust the grid you first have to have a flashing block somehwere on the screen. If the block is NOT flashing then press % on the remote and it will start to flash. The colour of the block will represent which colour you are about to adjust. You can adjust ANY colour on ANY colour grid by changing the block colour by pressing 3 on the remote (this cycles through Red(which shows as yellow)Green and Blue). To move the block, which can be only omved when flashing, use the 2,6,8,4 buttons on the remote. when you are on an area you wish to adjust pres5 on the remote and the cursor will stop flashing. You then use the 2,6,8,4 buttons to adjust the relevent grid area's position. Remember, the lines on the right and left outer edges of the screen are supposed to be closer together...dont try to get them to have an equal distance from the other lines. ONce you are happy with the green grid press the red button. You will now be able to see if any red is showing at points on the grid and move the red so that it lines up with the green grid perfectly. Then press the green button to turn off the green grid and the blue button to turn on the blue grid. Adjust the blue grid to line up with the red grid. Now press the green button and you will have the white grid. make any final adjustments to any areas you can see any colours showing (remember to always make sure you are using the correct colour block to adjust the relevent colour on screen). When you are happy with what you have pres the remotes right cursor button and the screen should go a bit wappy for a second. If you have Sky Digital I would advice you leave the menu on whilst doing all this so that at this poiny when you are taken automatically to the mani service menu you can see if there are any glaring convergance or geometry problems. If there are then go back in and try to eliminate them.
    When you are completely happy with the picture and you are back in the convergance service menu go to 'set Pal wide to all' (I think that is what it is called) and press the right cursor button. The TV will now adjust all the other aspect ratios on the TV to the settinsg you have just entered and should sort out all convergance and geometry problems. Now press F and 7 again to go to the service mani screen (just a few letters and numbers at the top of the screen and an s in the top right hand corner). Turn the TV off on the remote and then on the set itself...leave it for a couple of minutes and switch back on.

That's it (I think???) If youre 'friend' did this to your TV whilst watching a R1 DVD then you will need an R1 DVD playing whilst you do all of the above and have to adjust the NTSC settings rather than the Pal ones.

I hope all of this helps, but can I just say that I offer this advice in good faith. I take NO responsibilty as to what happens once you are in the service menu. I have had two weeks of being in there and a lot of sleepless nights trying to rectify my mistakes. I am now happy with the picture on my TV, but it may take you a while to be happy with yours depending on how much your friend has done to it.

I wish you all the bset and hope you manage to get things sorted out.

------------------

5. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason
    would it be possiable for you to maybe have a look in your service menus and let me know which of the following need to be adjusted?
    RCUT 0410H 49H 01001001B,GCUT 0411H 46H 01000110B,BCUT 0412H 48H 01001000B,RDRV 0413H 49H 01001001B,BDRV 0414H 2CH 00101100B,BRTC 0416H 8EH 1000110B,COLP 041AH 44H 01000100B,COLS 041BH 46H 01000110B,SCNT 041DH 03H 00000011B,SBY 0496H 0EH 00001110B,SRY 0497H 06H 00000110B,HPOS 04C8H 66H 01100110B,VPOS 04C9H 07H 00000111B,HIT 04CAH 3 CH 00111100B,VLIN04CCH 18H 00011000B,VSC 04CDH 02H 00000010B,VPS 04CEH 1DH 00011101B,WID 04D0H 1DH 00011101B,PARA 04D1H 53H 01010011B,CNR 04D2H F3H 11110011B,TRAP 04D3H 26H 00100110B,VFC 04D5H 3BH 00111011B,VCEN 04D6H 7DH 01111101B.
    I know it really is a lot to ask but i am sure that this is best way to see what has happened.I really can not thank you enough for you time mate.

6. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BLOODY HELL !!!!!...lol

I will have a look through tonight and see if I can be of any help. Just glancing through your list I am pretty sure it is the HPOS, VPOS and TRAP positions thatare used to physically adjust the picture's relative position on screen...

...I will get back to you on this one (if it dosn't put me into a menta l institute first...lol)

------------------

7. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you jay [​IMG]

8. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Hold down the function key and then 7?
    That does nothing on my set. I have the 46" model.

Regards Kev.

9. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Bug, I have to admit something...I have been very reluctant to go into my service menu and start looking around in it. I have just got the set perfect after weeks of agrrevation and dont want to mess it up.

I will look at the HPOS, VPOS and TRAP settings later though and tell you what they are at on my set...I hope this helps.

Badass
    That is not how you get into the service menu...you press those keys when you are IN to access the convergence/geometry menu.
    I would rather not post here how to to get into the service menu as it can be quite easy to mess things up when you are in there (look at Bug and myself!!!)...
    ...if you REALLY want to know how to get in then have a search through the other threads regarding thses sets.....hint hint..lol

------------------

10. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help jason your a top fella.

11. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You do right Jason, you don't want a load of lawsuits!

Dave

12. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lawsuits dave the damage has already been done by my friend, jason would be helping me big time by letting me know the factory settings.

13. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason if you would like to send me the info
    by email instead of putting it on this page, Please do so my address is on my profile page
    cheers?

14. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have sent you an email Bug..get back to me as soon as poss please so that I can help you.

------------------

15. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Wow !! :eek: :eek:

Sorry about this, but I was searching for something else completely and came across this thread...and I can't believe that it is still around !!!!!

Whats more amazing is that reading all the stuff I posted about what to do in the service menu was like reading someone elses post as I can't remember how to do any of that....and I still have the same TV !

Again, sorry for this trip down memory lane on my part :blush: