1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service Menu On Toshiba RPTV 40PW03B & The Like!!!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by IMF, Mar 4, 2002.

1. IMF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    With a lot of help from you guys I have finally managed to get into the service menu of my 40PW03B in order to have a go at the convergence!

Its been really confusing as I have used some information from http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefulinfo/toshiba/servicedesignermode.html and some from this bulletin board and finally got to where I wanted to go. As you know keohi is a US site and the controls differ to the UK TV's.

Most of the information you need is on Keohi's site but with the addition of pressing 'F then the yellow button' (whilst the hex is up on your screen) on your remote to get into the convergence menu on the UK TV, rather than F then 7.

Its been said a thousand times that the service menu is a scary place to be and it is!!! But all I was interested in was the convergence menu and I've managed to tweek my set a little over the last couple of days and the improvement has been astounding!!!

I had actually had a guy from Toshiba do this some time back as I complained so much from where I bought the set from that they sent a Toshiba guy round to me!!! The set just wasnt properly set up from the word go. This was fine for a while but recently I had to move the set and when it was put back into posistion the convergence was out again.

At the end of the day the 9-point user convergence menu just doesnt cut it. So I had a go in the service menu and I'm amazed at the results. I just dont see why we should have to do it though???? Why cant these things be set up properly by the engineers!??!!

So at the end of the day I would recommend to anyone to have a go, but! Theres a big but here, would I touch anything else in the service menu? NOT BLOODY LIKELY I had one big scare when exiting the convergence menu, I pressed F then 4 instead of F then yellow. This brought me out of the convergence menu and back to the hex coding that appears in the top left hand corner of the screen. My concern was had that hex value changed??? After a brief panic, I exited the service menu and switch the set off and on again. All seems well but I scrolled through all those 20 or 30 odd hex values and wrote the bloody lot down rather sharpish!!!!

What I would like to know is this, I thought there was a way in the convergence menu that you could copy your settings to different aspect ratios and also to PAL, NTSC etc. At the moment I've been going into these seperately.

Also these bloody hex values, does anyone know what these acronyms mean???? HPOS and VPOS seem straight forward but thats it!!!

At the end of the day you just dont realise what wonderful quality pictures your Toshiba RP is capable of until its setup correctly. Good luck if you try it but be careful and be warned!!!