1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service menu on recent philips TV's

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Neil Watson, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I was wondering if anyone had been into the service menus on recent philips tv, in particular the pw6515c.

I know that the code is 062596 and the i+ key but the thing is there is no such key on the remote. I understand that it maybe the same as the OSD key (the one with 3 verticle lines and an I printed on it) on my remote but has any one actually tried this yet?

Thanks
    Neil

2. DPJT78

DPJT78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neil,

This is strange because I own a Philips 32PW6515 and the 'I+' key is present on my remote and I've already entered the service menu.

I don't have my remote in front of me, but I think this the second or third key when starting from the bottom on the left side of the remote.

When you enter the code, you have to press the keys quite rapidly, without paying attention to the channel change.

Be carefull with this menu, because it's very easy to do mistakes and I advise you to note all the values of all the parameters before changing anything.

For geometry settings, there are two different sub-menus :
    - one for 4/3 format
    - the other for 16/9 anamorphic format (WIDE SCREEN GEOMETRY)

To go to these sub-menus, you scroll down or up with the up and down arrows.

Once in front of the title of the sub-menu, you can enter with the right arrow. To go out of the sub-menu, press the 'MENU' key (not the left arrow !!)

Then the screen display the first parameter for the geometry (V-SHIFT or something like that). To change the value, press right (+) or left (-) arrow.

As you can see, it's very easy to change the value of the first parameter by mistake (press the the left arrow instead of the 'MENU' key to return to the main menu).

Once you finished, you just turn the TV set off with the remote (TV in stand-by mode) and when turning it on again, the menu should have disappeared.

Good luck :D

Bye.

3. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Are there more than one remote then depending on country of origion?

I have supplied an image of my remote and the button that is suspected to be the correct one is the 2nd one up from the bottom right hand side of the remote. It is has OSD above it and does the same function as the 9525 remote (which is different as I have a copy of the user manual) in that it shows the channel, sleep timer, etc. The original info on accessing the service menu was written about the 9525 and the OSD button on that remote has i+ on it rather than what you can see on mine.

Is this the correct button or not as I know that one of the buttons enters the service menu but deletes all the settings and I don't really want to press that one!

Thanks
    Neil

Attached Files:

4. DPJT78

DPJT78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look at the picture and I think this is the OSD button of your remote which corresponds to my 'I+' one.

You have to enter the code '062596' + 'I+' quite quickly, if no, it doesn't work.

5. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    How quickly do you have to type in the code.
    I have tried it by typing as fast as I can but only end up on channel 96. I have also tried pressing each button slow enough so that it changes to channel 0, then 6, then 2, etc, etc, but that just ends up on channel 6.

I thought it was meant to come up with the word dealer just before you press the I+ button?

6. DPJT78

DPJT78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neil,

I have no problem to enter the menu with this code on my 32PW6515.

I enter the code quite quickly (it finishes with channel 96 on my screen) and I have nothing on the screen before entering 'I' (I verify on my remote and it is exactly the same button as the one in the picture except the 'OSD' above).

Sorry if it doesn't work.

Bye.

7. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I managed to get into the menu at last on my UK 6515c, so for those of you with the remote like mine (see picture in earlier post) it is the OSD button.

What confused me was that the instuctions posted elsewhere said the word dealer would come up 1st then you press the OSD button to go into the service menu or press the menu button to wipe all settings before going into the service menu!

If you just press the whole sequence 0 6 2 5 9 6 OSD then it comes up with the service menu

Well I have written every menu setting down possible (there are LOTS!) and since most of the geometry settings have understandable names or are similar to the Sony FX60 service quide which has pictures, it is time to try and get rid of that squashed right hand edge.

What is interesting for anyone who has seen the philips service guide for the pw9525 is that the 6515c has a complete set of separate settings for Superwide rather than just a few to alter the overall ones used in normal widescreen/4:3 mode. I think this is more sensible as it means that you don't have to set the widescreen/4:3 image up and then attempt to compensate on the Superwide settings with just a few controls. It also has settings for the H60/NTSC mode as well. Its no suprise though that with all these settings to alter versus the time allowed on the production line to setup each TV it is no wonder that they come out with geometry errors.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil,
    What geometry settings do you have? It would be intersting to know if all the 6515's came out the factory with the same ones. I've got a problem with vertical lines, some of them appear bent.
    Graham.

9. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Apparently they are specific to each TV as there are variances in the tubes that they have to account for. However the time that they have to do this on the production line is very limited and hence some minor geometry errors are likely.

I will post my original and revised geometry settings when I get home for you to compare against.

Suffice to say that I have straightened the image on mine and almost eliminated the compression I was getting on the right hand edge. Not easy to get rid of as the 28pw6515c doesn't have a direct setting for this. It does if the compression is on the top or bottom edge though???

I am currently writing a document for myself with piccies so that I don't have to keep working out what all the settings do.

10. Nic Allen

Nic Allen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil, did you get any further with this? Surprise surprise, my 6515 suffers from exactly the same 'fishbowl' problem and I'd be very interested to know what settings you altered to fix it.

Cheers,
    Nic.