Service Menu Abbreviations/Glossary

fallenangle

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any resource for explaining the various abbreviations you come across when you've accessed a TV's service menu?

I've recently went into the service menu of my JVC HV32P37 in an effort to do something I thought would be fairly simple ie. correct the image positioning when using RGB SCART connections. But once into the service menu you're presented with a range of abbreviated options and sub-menu choices many of which might as well be in Klingon.

I know the risks so I'm not going to fiddle around but surely there must be some simple guide to these terms which would help at least understand what the menu choices mean/refer to. .

Unfortunately every manufacturer uses different acronyms / synonyms for their service menu entries. As much as I would find the glossary helpful I think there is a certain argument for saying that if you don't know what an item is then you shouldn't be messing with it!!!

All told if you are sensible then what you are trying to do should be easy enough to achieve. I don't have a Hitachi but hopefully the following should help.

1. Get an overscan / positioning test pattern as per thye DVE DVD for example.
2. View the pattern on as many inputs as possible and note if the position changes with each input.
3. If the position doesn't change then think yourself lucky ;)
4. If it does change then look for the shift for the input in question ie RGB shift and adjust until the change is no longer visible.
5. Look for the master shift (H shift or similar) and then adjust to centre the picture.

As you said yourself if you write things down then you should be ok.

HTH
Neil

Thanks.

You've hit the nail on the head about different manufacturers using different terminology/abreviations. That's the problem I'm up against with my JVC - you would think that image positioning controls would be a blindingly obvious option in the menus. But no, there's no H or V SHIFT or anything which looks even vaguely like it might refer to that facility.

I've got 10 menu abreviations numbered from 1- 9, + 0 and some sub-menus and am trying to understand terms like DEF, IP, IF, BUS, SHIPPING, DNR, FULL-RUN etc. What do they all mean? Somebody must know.

I was told that the DEF menu was what I should be looking at for image shift options but I'm not going to fiddle until I know what DEF actually means and the FULL-RUN sub-menu it leads to.

A glossary or link to somewhere which has this sort of info, including every manufacturer's variations/alternative terms would be a great help.. . .

Fallenangle,

DEF almost certainly means Defelection which is often used to cover geometry controls. I'll see if I can get the service manual and have a look at what is going on.

Neil

Thanks again.

I took my TV's life in my hands and explored the service menu a little more without changing anything. I think you're right about DEF meaning deflection because what I thought was a sub-menu (1: FULL-RUN) is in fact the first item in the geometry menu. Using the down button brings up each of the other parameters including V and H SIZE and SHIFT options. I haven't touched them yet but it seems to be what I was looking for.

I still would very much like to know what everything else means including why on the DEF menu first page there is a magenta 900i icon in the top right hand corner of the screen. This JVC is supposed to display at 1125i max through component connections. Where does the 900i come in and why is this on the geometry menu page when all I have connected is a games console through RGB SCART?

Sorry, just musing, I not expecting an answer :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom