service-menu, a warranty breaker?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by kenji-san, Aug 12, 2002.

1. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a philips 36pw9525 telly which sometimes, when in standby mode, the standby-light starts to blink.
    so i call my service-company, but he doesnt have a clue about the matter.
    Funny thing is, in my service-menu, it states (at top) :

operation hours : 03236.5
    errors : 050 066 050 066 077
    066 050 066 050 066
    defect. module : +3V (fbx) supply

which, i'd imagine, indicates that something is wrong/broken, and would need to be replaced.
    so when the tech-guy i spoke to knew nothing about the matter, i was tempted to tell about the message above. But is it breaking the warrant to enter the service-menu? :confused:

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Strange, I've seen my 32PW9617 do this once before... no errors reported in the service menu though. From the error message, it sound as though it may be a power regulation issue...

Zacabeb any ideas???

The TV itself seems fine though. Maybe clearing the error buffer and waiting for it to happen again may help pinpoint the problem.

Oh and I think going into the service menu is against the warranty so unless the engineer is especially friendly best not to let on that you've been there!

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    M. Majoor's excellent service mode site has a list of the error codes on the "Service Alignment Mode" page.

These are the three errors you are getting:

050: Feature Box. This is a big shielded box in which all the digital picture processing is housed.

066: I2C bus blocked (fast). This is the bus used to control and sync the processors.

077: 3V Feature Box. This is one of the supply voltages to the Feature Box.

So apparently the supply to the feature box in your set is acting up, and you should get it fixed.

The warranty is broken if they know you have been inside the service menu, even if you are just peeking, so you should not tell them about that. The service center should be able to locate the error easily once they get the set thanks to the error codes, so you need not tell them anything other more than a description of the problem itself.

4. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    damn,it sounds like a multitude of problems,for sure. It's not like i've treated the tv badly, but maybe philips components are very fragile or something..
    Well, I just hope this tech-guy, or the centre, even KNOWS of the service menu, he sounded pretty clueless..

thanks alot for the help,rct and Zacabeb!! :cool: