Server/Ripper/Player

Ricmondo

Novice Member
Help
This started out by my desire to rip all 1000 of my CDs(FLAC) to a decent DAP for use in the car/out walking. I have no cd tray on my PC and I am by no means technically proficient - the plethora of technical info that surrounds product advertising may as well be in chinese. Was all set to go with a much reduced AK Kann and their CD ripper (because it would be easy) when I was told the firmware for the KANN is no longer avaialble so you can only have whatever was loaded when you open the box - I've asked I-river if this is the case. However this set me of on a course of thought and investigation as follows
1. If I use the AK ripper I have no back up to my player - thus a defunct SD card or player might mean I would have to do it all again. Similarly I cant use the DAP (probably) to play music around the house.
2. Therefore is there a piece of kit that will act as a Server(storage)/Player/Streamer/Ripper that will also allow me to copy the ripped files to a DAP. I have decent floor standing speakers therefore I would be looking for the Server (et al), possibly an Amp depending on the Server, DAP and SD card - budget somewehere around £2k.
I can see that the server/player/streamer/ripper kit exists but I do not know if any of them would allow me to copy the files to a DAP.

The less software I have to understand/become familar with the happier I will be.
Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be welcome.

Ricmondo

Last edited:

Steven

Senior Moderator
As far as I know the AK CD-Ripper MKII is compatible with newer AK models like the SR25

Or pick up something like a Bluesound VAULT 2I and pair with Bluetooth headphones

Note that I have zero experience with these CD rippers that remove a computer from the equation

muljao

1000 cds ripped to flac is less than 1tb, closer probably to about 400gb. You could rip these on a PC or mac using software and make a few copies to 512gb usb sticks, they don't have to be high spec ones, cheaply you have backups.

Raumfeld connector, any yamaha musiccast player that takes a usb, many others act as a server, a dedicated streamer may well read it wirelessly off your computer. Your pc itself will act as a server if you plug it into a dac to amp solution

dannnielll

Help
This started out by my desire to rip all 1000 of my CDs(FLAC) to a decent DAP for use in the car/out walking. I have no cd tray on my PC and I am by no means technically proficient - the plethora of technical info that surrounds product advertising may as well be in chinese. Was all set to go with a much reduced AK Kann and their CD ripper (because it would be easy) when I was told the firmware for the KANN is no longer avaialble so you can only have whatever was loaded when you open the box - I've asked I-river if this is the case. However this set me of on a course of thought and investigation as follows
1. If I use the AK ripper I have no back up to my player - thus a defunct SD card or player might mean I would have to do it all again. Similarly I cant use the DAP (probably) to play music around the house.
2. Therefore is there a piece of kit that will act as a Server(storage)/Player/Streamer/Ripper that will also allow me to copy the ripped files to a DAP. I have decent floor standing speakers therefore I would be looking for the Server (et al), possibly an Amp depending on the Server, DAP and SD card - budget somewehere around £2k.
I can see that the server/player/streamer/ripper kit exists but I do not know if any of them would allow me to copy the files to a DAP.

The less software I have to understand/become familar with the happier I will be.
Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be welcome.

Ricmondo
Muljio has a good answer. Ripping CDs to a hard drive is very simple and virtually idiot proof ...not suggesting anything untoward. First question do you have access to a computer.. ?. By preference a Windows machine , age and condition is almost irrelevant . Even the cheapest second hand 15 year old laptop from a pawnshop , with a CD drive is overkill and very capable. By preference a USB external hard drive of 1 or 2 Terabyte and costing about 50 quid will act as your library. My suggestion is buy a new one and keep it as the master . Just plug it in when you want to reload the DAP or store a new CD
Software .. so many to choose but I am recommending Sony Media Go .. it was always free ,but Sony have replaced it with ,what in my opinion is an inferior subsitute. It can be got from archive sites .
Using it is extremely simple . You just connect up the USB drive and run the Media Go. You then tell media go to use the USB drive as its library . And you tell the program what format you want the discs stored in ..eg MP3 or FLAC . Then you feed in the CDs , it goes off on the internet to get all the artwork and song titles and then stores the cds into directories ...no effort on your part, its all automatic.. with a clean CD it takes 2 minutes per CD ..then job done
Once done .the Files can be transferred to any DAP or passed along networks or preferably just sent to an amplifier . It is at this stage that the limitation of a Laptop becomes evident . The quality of the audio DACs are always just adaquate, but actually rather poor. A standalone USB input DAC will outperform the laptop by a major degree. ..and you can spend all your 2K on one if that is your fancy, but 100 quid should see you right.

Ricmondo

Novice Member
Thank you all for replying - its all very helpful and your input is gratefully received - I don't really see the sense in spending £400 on the AK Ripper when it doesn't even give me a Master/Back up. I think the USB/DAC solution will work as I do have a windows PC on which the CD drive is crocked - so buying a USB version is win/win. Could I ask another numpty question - If I load the USB as you suggest can I just then connect that directly to the DAP, connections permitting, and let it weave its magic, or do I still need to keep the PC involved.

Thank you all again
Ricmondo

muljao

Firstly you need a working cd drive to rip the cds to your pc. You can either buy one (they are inexpensive) or use someone else's computer.

Once the cds are ripped you'll have them stored somewhere, likely a separate hard drive or even a usb stick.

You'd copy them onto your DAP when you want to use your DAP out and about. To listen to your ripped files you could then use your laptop connected to a usb dac which is connected to your amp or stereo to play.

Miss Mandy

An external disc drive will only cost around £20

Amazon product
A USB external storage drive can be picked up for a little over £40 for a 1tb version or around £60 for 2tb.

Amazon product

dannnielll

Thank you all for replying - its all very helpful and your input is gratefully received - I don't really see the sense in spending £400 on the AK Ripper when it doesn't even give me a Master/Back up. I think the USB/DAC solution will work as I do have a windows PC on which the CD drive is crocked - so buying a USB version is win/win. Could I ask another numpty question - If I load the USB as you suggest can I just then connect that directly to the DAP, connections permitting, and let it weave its magic, or do I still need to keep the PC involved.

Thank you all again
Ricmondo
Good.. you are thinking straight. You should buy a usb hard drive, ..maybe even two ,to keep as a backup. The labour of slipping 1000 CDs is not back breaking ,but it is not trivial either.. I reckon that ripping 25 in an hour is very fast. ,So having a backup makes sense It is nearly a weeks work!.
There are also usb CD or more likely DVD players , which also read CDs , so yes if the CD drive is knackered, getting one of them is a great idea. .
You would need the PC to be on if you were DACing into the Amplifier . You would need the PCto be on when you are loading or synchronisation of a DAP. But of course when the DAP is loaded, the PC can be off. For example I formatted the memory card for my wifes FILO M7 ,using my Sony DAP, and I loaded her music from my stash in October. She has not been to the PC since ,and her music is available for her daily walks. If she eventually wants a different selection , I will wipe them, and reload, it will take possibly 20 minutes.

dannnielll

Firstly you need a working cd drive to rip the cds to your pc. You can either buy one (they are inexpensive) or use someone else's computer.

Once the cds are ripped you'll have them stored somewhere, likely a separate hard drive or even a usb stick.

You'd copy them onto your DAP when you want to use your DAP out and about. To listen to your ripped files you could then use your laptop connected to a usb dac which is connected to your amp or stereo to play.
...or indeed the DAP can be fed directly into the amplifier and used as both a store and a DAC... The Head phone outlet from the DAP can be connected to RCA plugs

Ricmondo

Novice Member
Thank you all again - particularly dannnielll and mulja. I feel much more relaxed about this now. I'm sure I'll be scratching my head at the manuals but that's Ok - knowing I've got the correct kit and they're joined up in the right way will be very re-assuring.

A bi of me wants to wait til I can listen to a few of the players that are out there to be surer of my purchase , but a bit of me wants to crack on while we're still stuck indoors with Covid19-20-21 and it could easily be months before trips to the retailers are possible. Both the original Kann and the Kann Alpha were/are well reviewed and the residual Kanns can be had for a very good price - although the Alpha seems to have truly exemplary reviews and power The FILO M7 Pro is another possibility. To be patient or not - lol - history tells me not and that I always plump for the best I can afford. Deep thinking required.

Thank you all again so much - so kindof you to give of your time.

Ricmondo

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom