Server Error with Pioneer Receiver

MikeNolan

Novice Member
I'm not sure if this is correct forum but hope so. I have just purchased a Pioneer Receiver VSX LX55 that has Internet joining capability. Unfortunately, I keep getting a message Server Error.

I have tried two different routers and have set up two different networks. I have even taken my PC off the network just in case there was a firewall kicking in, but this does not help.

I started thinking I had a faulty Pioneer unit, so took it back to the shop where they plugged it in and it connected straight away. I am on a normal BT ADSL line. Can anyone give some some help/advice before I go loopy

Kristian

Does the device get an IP address from your DHCP server (router)? Check on the router. What does the device think its IP address is? Can you ping the device from another PC?

What does the manual say about setting up the device for internet access?

MikeNolan

Novice Member
The Pioneer goes through an operation of assigning IP address. It then drops into another menu which gives you the option of getting Internet radio. It's at this point I get the Server Error message.

I have to say that this is all somewhat new to me on IP address assignments. The Pioneer book says I might need to authorise the unit manually on the server, which I assume is the router, but have no idea how to do this or where to look

Kristian

Do you have a link light on the network port on the device and your router where you've plugged it in?

What type of router do you have? I'm guessing a Home Hub as you say BT. If you web browse to 192.168.1.254 you should get to your router's management page. In there you'll be able to see what devices you have on your network by IP address. See which is your device and the n ping it from a command prompt (Start, run, 'command' Enter, ping ip-address).

MikeNolan

Novice Member
Both routers are Netgear. IP address on unit is showing as 169 254 112 202, but not showing in devices connected. The light where the lead is plugged in is on and flashing very quickly

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
BOTH routers, you only need 1.

169 254 112 202 is not a household IP address.
The Pioneer should be set to DCHP and get an address like 192.168.1.14. An address starting 192.168 is a standard in the home.

MikeNolan

Novice Member
Both routers - I had a spare one so tried that too, in case one was faulty - both Netgears, but different models. The IP address is coming from the Pioneer's front display

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
The lead that plugs into the Pioneer can you plug it into a lap top and get the internet?
That will prove you are OK from the router to the Pioneer.

MikeNolan

Novice Member
Andy - can you run that by me again - not sure what you mean re the laptop connection. Sorry for appearing dense on this. Are you saying run a lead from router to laptop and another from router to Pioneer

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
No, take the lead out of the back of the Pioneer and put it into a Lap top, if the lap top works then you know you have a good connection.
Did you run the lead yourself?
Did you have to make it? i.e. CAT 5 cable and put plugs on the ends?
All info helps.

MikeNolan

Novice Member
Gotcha - I'll try that in the morning. The lead I'm using is one that came with the newer router. I've swapped leads around a bit. I'm also going to try connecting up my new Pioneer Blu Ray player 'cos I am sure that when i connected it up a few days ago it connected without any problems, but I'll confirm tomorrow too. Thanks for your time so far

MikeNolan

Novice Member
Have just spoken to a guy in IT at work and he suggests that there could be an imcompatabilty problem between Netgear N600 and Pioneer, and suggests I manually enter IP address into Pioneer unit as 192.168.0.2. Any thoughts on that. I'm going to see if I can connect up to neighbours router tonight

Kristian

suggests I manually enter IP address into Pioneer unit as 192.168.0.2. Any thoughts on that.
That entirely depends on what subnet your router is using, it's usually 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255, or 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.255. You have to use an IP address that is on the same subnet, and also not in use already and not available in your DHCP pool.

Again, what network range does your router use? From a working PC go to Start, Run 'command' Enter. Then type 'inconfig' and copy and paste back here your IP address and the default gateway. This will tell us some IP info about your local network (which is perfectly safe btw.)

The default gateway is the IP address of your router and if you web browse to it it will tell lots more useful info.

Is the Pioneer plugged directly into the router or do you use Power Line networking or wireless?

The 169.254.112.202 looks like an APIPA, which is used sometimes by devices when they can't get an IP address from a DHCP server, your router in this case.

MikeNolan

Novice Member
When I get home, I’ll do the “run” command. In the meantime, here is the Netgear Router Status info that I printed off when I installed the Netgear D600 2 weeks ago.

LAN Port

IP Address 192.168.0.1

DHCP On

UIP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

The Pioneer is plugged in directly to the Router at the moment (upstairs) as I wanted to eliminate possible problems with this saga. However because the router is upstairs and the TV etc is downstairs, the idea is that it would either be connected via a Develo Network Home Socket or with the Pioneer Wi-Fi in the living room.

Before this problem, my main PC would be connected to the router directly, my laptop via wi-fi, my iPad via wi-fi and a Pioneer XSMC5 (radio/ipod dock) via wi-fi and these all connected fine and showed up on network.

Do I need to have all these things switched on before I print out the IP data so you can see what is connected etc on the network, presumably to be able to manually enter a new IP address.

I’ve just read that someone who bought a Pioneer VSX 1021 was having problems with connecting to a D-Link router so went and bought a Cisco Linksys one and had no problems at all. Makes me wonder if there is an incompatibility problem. Hope not because I think I am just outside my return goods period.

Thanks

Kristian

Your IP range is 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255. Your router uses .1, so to use a static IP address you need to use something unique, so you could try .2 as your friend suggested but there is risk this address is in use already or in your DHCP pool. You can check that by looking at the router's DHCP config via a browser.

You can also do a 'ping 192.168.0.2' from a command prompt; if you get 'request timed out' then it's not currently in use.

No need to switch everything on just yet.

MikeNolan

Novice Member
Hi - I assume you mean ipconfig as inconfig did not do anything. Typed in command- a box popped up for a second or so then disappeared, so could not copy data. Can you let me know what to do to stop it going off screen.

MikeNolan

Novice Member
Okay got it

Windows IP Configuration
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristian

Sorry, that was a typo. Well worked out though. If your pioneer allows you to set a static then you could try using ip 192.168.0.101 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1. This does make an assumption that this address is not in use and not in your dhcp pool.

MikeNolan

Novice Member
Tried entering manually but still same message. Had hoped neighbour might have a different router but has the same make as mine. Feel like I am running out of ideas now

pioneer922K

Novice Member
I have a similar problem. My newly bought Pioneer VSX 922 will not find the network. Problem is it will not let me turn DHCP off to manually enter an ip address. It goes straight to setting network. Any one has a similar issue?

maf1970

How are you viewing the network info on the amp ? via GUI or via PC software ?
Also are you using wired or wireless ?

pioneer922K

Novice Member
I am viewing networking info via GUI on my TV. The connection is wired. I tried connecting to router, connecting to hub and connecting to modem. No result. No flashing light on the router. Seems dead.